happened already!

Billie&Lyd

Nov 3, 2010
Media
Warwickshire, England
Parrots
Congo african grey
Billy
OMG, i had to share what happened this morning with someone who cares! After two years of been stuck in his cage, he did it. He took flight across my small front room, very wobbly and it took him an hour of bobbing to pluck up the courage lol. Such a big step to take in such a very small amount of time. My house is way to small for flying but i would like him to get a bit more steady before i have a visit from the vet to show me how to clip them. Is that the right thing to do?

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
WooHoo!!! Congrats Billy! It is so great when they gain confidence. Just because your home is small it is not necessary to clip him. If he seems to enjoy it and is not crashing into things, I would leave him flighted. Especially if he is shy, fearful or having confidence issues. If you can keep him safe I recommend leaving him flighted. He is making baby steps to being a comfortable bird in his home.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
That's great to hear, after two years, wow, confidence is definitely setting in
Imagine how Billy felt, so free, so much to see and explore
LoL must have been the longest most enjoyable hour of his life
You go Billy Boy !!!!!!!!

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I fullly agree with others in keeping Billy flying. It helps so much to make them feel good about themselves and new home. Just keep windows and mirrors safe. Good job Billlylh!!

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
It's so much fun to see the first flight of a formerly clipped bird. I agree, that a smaller home isn't necessarily cause to clip Billy. That said, it's your decision and I'm sure you'll do what's best for him

OP
B

Billie&Lyd

Nov 3, 2010
Media
Warwickshire, England
Parrots
Congo african grey
Billy
Thanks for all your advise. He's had enough of been restricted after been locked up in his previous home. I'm glad you all advised what my heart was saying. In my first week of been a new bird mommy i have learnt 'listen to your heart'

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
Merry and Teechka (parakeets)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
Agree! I would encourage leaving him flighted as well. You might want to do a "worst case" house check. Anything that could be problem? Putting decals on windows where bird could see, putting inside locks on screen doors so no one can open inadvertently, checking for not so hot house plants...open jewelry boxes...that sort of thing.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Congratulations and the best of luck on your decision! :)

patterson

Nov 3, 2010
belfast, northern ireland
Parrots
vincent-b/g macaw archie-alexandrine and coming in june greenwing macaw and millitary macaw this year too fingers crossed
my macaw loves flying round the place hes only 18 weeks

Most Reactions

Latest posts