Happy 1st Birthday Yoda!

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
Yesterday was Yoda's 1st birthday! ...or should I say Hatch-day?

I made him some toys and hung two of the five on his playgym. As of today he has already completely destroyed one of them. I call that a win! :D

squeekmouse-albums-yoda-pics-picture19505-yodabday3.jpg

squeekmouse-albums-yoda-pics-picture19504-yodabday2.jpg

squeekmouse-albums-yoda-pics-picture19503-yodabday1.jpg

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Id love to know how the first year has gone with him. Maybe any tips or dont do's for when i get my Conure x

OP
Squeekmouse

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Our first year with Yoda has been wonderful. It's hard to imagine life without him. He has SO much personality, and so much love. Kyle's parents adore him and call him their Grandbird.
The key things we have learned this year that I wish we had known earlier...

1. Make sure he gets plenty of sleep, he gets moody if he doesn't get more than 10 hours. It's just SO hard to put him in his cage because he is at his sweetest and cuddliest at bedtime, and the way he clings to my hand when I try to put him in his cage is heartbreaking.
  2. Harrison's pellets... he loves them and they're so good for him. We bought a giant bag and keep it in the freezer to stay fresh.
  3. Lots of veggies. I keep a little tupperware dish in the fridge and every time I have some fruit or veggies, I cut up some and add it to the dish, and toss in a few frozen peas/green beans which defrost in the fridge in time for the next meal. Twice a day he gets fresh veggies with his pellets and this way he always has a small variety served up. (Note, clean it out every day or two so he only gets good fresh veggies.)
  4. The Prevue Hendryx portable playstand that we got him for Christmas is worth it's weight in gold. He loves it, and it allows me to occasionally get things done with BOTH hands.
  5. Making toys is fun and much cheaper than buying them. The DIY section has some great suggestions. Paper towel/toilet paper rolls, pen caps, cupcake papers, straws tied into a knot, and pieces of destroyed toys are excellent building blocks.
  6. Potty training IS possible... but we also have a little basket on the shelf under his playstand with a bottle of Poop-Off and a roll of paper towels, so it's always handy. ;)
  7. Parrot Forums is awesome. So much helpful advise and friendly fellow Parronts to compare notes with.

That's all I can think of for tips at the moment. We got through his first molting, and I have a lovely collection of feathers that I plan to do something pretty and artistic with at some point. I'll let you know how the next year goes! I'm nervous about when he hits puberty next year!

OP
Squeekmouse

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
He is, words don't begin to express how much joy he brought into our lives. :)

Oh.. one more bit of advice, avoid citrus fruits and tomatoes. Most lists of safe/toxic foods don't mention them but they sometime cause tummy troubles. Yoda loves tomatoes but they give him watery poops that he has a hard time controlling. There's plenty of other veggies better for him anyway, so he doesn't mind giving up the tomoatoes. ;)

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
Oh, the Prevue playstand is wonderful. I don’t move it out of the birdroom though because the birds constantly fly on and off of it. It really brings out their acrobatic side, as even Pearl likes to hang from the top bar and climb through the plastic rings I have hanging on it. Kermit occasionally gets oranges, but my other birds won’t touch any kind of fruit. I’ve never tried to give any of my birds tomatoes.

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Happy B-day Yoda! What a cute baby. Love!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Happy Belated Birthday beautiful Yoda!!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Looks like he had quite the party!
You two are a precious, precious pair!
Happy Day!

Most Reactions