Happy Gotcha Day Zilla! (technically tomorrow but...)

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
So this whole crazy adventure started September 23, 2014 with a phone call out of the blue!

A friend of mine had been given a male "Peach Wing Cockatoo" 8 days before and he had decided he didn't want to keep him... So he called and asked if I wanted him. This started off a whole boat load of bird proofing my home and "googling" "peach wing cockatoos" (I had never heard of one and wanted to know what they looked like and how much space he was going to take up in my living room)

Long story short, one year ago tomorrow morning at approx. 9:45am Zilla flew out of the carrier through my living/dining room and landed in the butter on the kitchen counter! She had no fear of me and proceeded to wipe the butter off her feet on the shoulder of my shirt and kiss my nose!

She was no "he" and she wasn't a Cockatoo, she is a lovely Orange Wing Amazon!

As ill as she was the first few months, we made it though and have become quite the pair! She has become "uber" bonded to me and we spend hours each day "preening" each other (though she really hates my hair and how long it is, I think she feels sorry for me and the sad condition of my "feathers")

Tonight I will be making her favorite birdie muffins (for her mid morning snack attack) and putting her favorite breakfast of refrigerator oats in the fridge for morning, and tomorrow nights dinner will be citrus herb salmon (her absolute favorite) And my Mom (her Grandma) said she is going to bring her some fresh from the garden green beans, cucumbers and zucchini! I have a small box to fill with her favorite treats for her foraging enjoyment tomorrow afternoon. On my lunch break we will go to The Bird Hut and pick out a new toy and talk to some other birds (maybe she will pick a friend???)

I will try to remember how much everyone here like pictures... ::54:

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
HAPPY GOTCHA DAY ZILLA!!! Happy anniversary, Amanda! Hard to believe it's already been a year. I hope this is the first of many splendid years for you and your peach winged cockatoo.

You've planned the perfect Gotcha day for Zilla, Have Fun!

Remember those photos while you're celebrating!

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
Sounds like you have a wonderful Gotcha Day for Zilla!

Yes, please remember to take photos and share here!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Happy belated GOTCHA day!!! :D

Holy smokes, it's been an entire year already? :eek: I love Zilla! A TRUE rescue, REAL success and an AWESOME Love Story! :smile015:

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19
Happy Gotcha Day Zilla & Amanda. Hope you both have a fabulous day together.

Best wishes from Amanda, Bundii & Millie. :)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Happy gotcha day Miss Zilla! She's not much of a "peach wing cockatoo" but she's a gorgeous OWA ;)

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Happy Gotcha day Zilla!! I can hardly believe it's been a year already!!! She's so lucky to have a mommy like you, Amanda!

Most Reactions