Happy Hut Washing Question..

saiyixuy

Aug 24, 2011
I was wondering if you wash your Qp's happy hut with any kind of soap will the scent of the soap do anything to the bird?
blink.gif
I heard somewhere that certain stronger smells can make birds sick or aren't very good for them.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I do ALL my laundry with hypoallergenic, unscented detergent! After my aromatherapy class, I ditched all artificial scents to the best of my ability. *hissss*

BirdieNumNum

Oct 19, 2011
NY/NJ
Parrots
1 Pineapple GCC
2 Cockatiels
2 Budgies
Remy what's up with the artificial scents? I haven't washed any of my bird's things in the washing machine (and I'm not accusing you of anything) but I'm just curious, why are they bad?

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
I wash all my baby birds blankets, towels whatever in the washing machine with whatever liquid i have on hand & also use smelly softner without any harm to any of my birds what so ever. I have been doing it for 20 years & haven't lost a bird yet from getting sick from the smell. I also burn essential oils in an electric oil heater no problems.

BirdieNumNum

Oct 19, 2011
NY/NJ
Parrots
1 Pineapple GCC
2 Cockatiels
2 Budgies
I wash all my baby birds blankets, towels whatever in the washing machine with whatever liquid i have on hand & also use smelly softner without any harm to any of my birds what so ever. I have been doing it for 20 years & haven't lost a bird yet from getting sick from the smell. I also burn essential oils in an electric oil heater no problems.

I have heard of people smoking heavily around their birds for decades and touching them etc, and the birds only died of old age. I think your birds might have developed an immunity to the scented stuff. My mom wears perfume sometimes, usually not in the house, but I did smell her perfume near our cage once (and I told her to not wear it near the birds afterward) but all of my birds are still perfectly fine!

I think (sorry for rambling again, I did the same thing in my other thread) it's similar to rats and rat poison. Of course rat poison is meant to kill rats, but rats eat little bits of it at a time and eventually become immune to it. That's why rat poison doesn't always work. So I think maybe after a while birds just become immune to it too? Idk. That's what sense I could make out of it :rolleyes:.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Usually artificial scents are fine, but people are more likely to become allergic to a synthetic scent. Allergic reactions can show up in many ways, from sneezing to mood swings, and worse. Your body doesn't know how to handle it the same way that it does something natural, such as essential oils.

I just like to eliminate as many potential allergens from my environment as possible. I also do massage therapy, and it's recommended that therapists wash their sheets in hypoallergenic detergent in case a client with an allergy comes in (which does happen). It's better safe than sorry. I don't see the necessity for them anyways, because I have an impaired sense of smell and don't smell them a lot of the time anyways, haha.

Usually it's fine though. I don't think there's a big problem unless someone is allergic, but the potential for developing it increases with exposure. I'm fine with a lot of scents, but some do bother me. I've always heard that you're supposed to keep birds away from artificially scented stuff, but it's probably for this reason.

BirdieNumNum

Oct 19, 2011
NY/NJ
Parrots
1 Pineapple GCC
2 Cockatiels
2 Budgies
Usually artificial scents are fine, but people are more likely to become allergic to a synthetic scent. Allergic reactions can show up in many ways, from sneezing to mood swings, and worse. Your body doesn't know how to handle it the same way that it does something natural, such as essential oils.

I just like to eliminate as many potential allergens from my environment as possible. I also do massage therapy, and it's recommended that therapists wash their sheets in hypoallergenic detergent in case a client with an allergy comes in (which does happen). It's better safe than sorry. I don't see the necessity for them anyways, because I have an impaired sense of smell and don't smell them a lot of the time anyways, haha.

Usually it's fine though. I don't think there's a big problem unless someone is allergic, but the potential for developing it increases with exposure. I'm fine with a lot of scents, but some do bother me. I've always heard that you're supposed to keep birds away from artificially scented stuff, but it's probably for this reason.

Ohhh makes sense!! :D Thanks for explaining! I have a bottle of perfume that was a gift from my friend, but I don't know what to do with it since 1) I don't wear perfume - I don't even wear deodorant lol (don't need it!) and 2) I don't want it near my birdies! It does smell really good though.. and I feel bad giving a gift back, gifting it to someone else, or selling it. I just don't know when I would ever be without my birds, except if I go on vacation somewhere. But I have a boyfriend anyway, so I don't really have to smell especially nice for anybody! :p The smell of clean laundry is the way to go!

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots

Ohhh makes sense!! :D Thanks for explaining! I have a bottle of perfume that was a gift from my friend, but I don't know what to do with it since 1) I don't wear perfume - I don't even wear deodorant lol (don't need it!) and 2) I don't want it near my birdies! It does smell really good though.. and I feel bad giving a gift back, gifting it to someone else, or selling it. I just don't know when I would ever be without my birds, except if I go on vacation somewhere. But I have a boyfriend anyway, so I don't really have to smell especially nice for anybody! :p The smell of clean laundry is the way to go!

Omg, I wish I could get away without wearing deoderant! Oddly, the only one that works very well for me is the crystal rock, which is the closest to nothing you can find. lol. I can never remember to put on perfume when I have it though (well, essential oils, lol).

Perfume bottles usually look pretty sitting on a dresser. :)

BirdieNumNum

Oct 19, 2011
NY/NJ
Parrots
1 Pineapple GCC
2 Cockatiels
2 Budgies

Omg, I wish I could get away without wearing deoderant! Oddly, the only one that works very well for me is the crystal rock, which is the closest to nothing you can find. lol. I can never remember to put on perfume when I have it though (well, essential oils, lol).

Perfume bottles usually look pretty sitting on a dresser. :)

I agree, perfume/cologne bottles look so fancy and expensive :D! I don't really like deodorant. It feels so sticky and I'm a pretty extreme germaphobe (not with bird poop though for certain reasons) and I always imagine deodorant transferring from my underarms to my clothing, and I imagine it getting caked on the inside ew!! Not sure if that's even possible, but I never remember to put on deodorant even when it's staring me in the face :p.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
BO is caused by smelly bacteria! The crystal deodorant prevents them from growing (you have to apply right after shower or it may not work). Now if I use anything else it feels like a weird coating. I don't know how other deodorants work, but I assume they would kill/prevent germ growth. I can't go without it or I'm gross by the end of the day!

BirdieNumNum

Oct 19, 2011
NY/NJ
Parrots
1 Pineapple GCC
2 Cockatiels
2 Budgies
BO is caused by smelly bacteria! The crystal deodorant prevents them from growing (you have to apply right after shower or it may not work). Now if I use anything else it feels like a weird coating. I don't know how other deodorants work, but I assume they would kill/prevent germ growth. I can't go without it or I'm gross by the end of the day!

Oh that's really interesting!! I should get it for my little brother LOL. And my dad... boys stink :p. I'm not sure how deodorants work either. I always thought they just covered up your smell but that doesn't really make sense now that I think about it. It says "anti-perspirant" on the... stick thing so I guess it..... stops you from sweating. Well that doesn't make sense either....

Most Reactions

Latest posts