Looking for safer alternatives for my GCC’s “happy hut” help ASAP

marsvv

Aug 22, 2023
Parrots
2 GCC’s female+male (currently aren’t together)
So I’ve had my male GCC for 3 years (he’s 3 years old) and my mom always tells me to keep his “happy hut” in his cage since I take it away a lot. I really want to find an alternative because even my mom won’t listen when I tell her it’s bad for him. Please if anything I want links or something of very safe alternatives, even if it’s something that’s not a hut. He’s a chewer too so I’m hoping for something that’s not gonna make him chew. I just want to keep my cute little bird safe.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
So I’ve had my male GCC for 3 years (he’s 3 years old) and my mom always tells me to keep his “happy hut” in his cage since I take it away a lot. I really want to find an alternative because even my mom won’t listen when I tell her it’s bad for him. Please if anything I want links or something of very safe alternatives, even if it’s something that’s not a hut. He’s a chewer too so I’m hoping for something that’s not gonna make him chew. I just want to keep my cute little bird safe.
You are quite correct to be concerned over your GCCs welfare, happy huts can be very dangerous indeed, particularly for a chewer! I've used the seagrass huts as recommended by @Owlet for a good while now with no ill-effects. The open-ended open-weave design of them also generally means they don't view it so much as a nesting site, I used one on a madly chronic egg-laying little lorikeet hen and if ANYONE was going to view it as a nest it would have been her, but she never did. Nothing is guaranteed to be 100% safe and you'll need to monitor your bird for any negative response, but in my experience the seagrass huts are by far the better alternative :)

OP
marsvv

marsvv

Aug 22, 2023
Parrots
You are quite correct to be concerned over your GCCs welfare, happy huts can be very dangerous indeed, particularly for a chewer! I've used the seagrass huts as recommended by @Owlet for a good while now with no ill-effects. The open-ended open-weave design of them also generally means they don't view it so much as a nesting site, I used one on a madly chronic egg-laying little lorikeet hen and if ANYONE was going to view it as a nest it would have been her, but she never did. Nothing is guaranteed to be 100% safe and you'll need to monitor your bird for any negative response, but in my experience the seagrass huts are by far the better alternative :)
Thanks, I’ve heard that apparently their feet could get stuck in the seagrass is this true? Just trying to get rid of some concerns before I purchase one !🙏

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Thanks, I’ve heard that apparently their feet could get stuck in the seagrass is this true? Just trying to get rid of some concerns before I purchase one !🙏
As mentioned, nothing can ever be 100% guaranteed safe, but honestly I've seen far more instances reported of birds getting their feet tangled in the synthetic fibres of happy huts than the seagrass ones, with awful consequences. Here's a pic of the type that i use, and I've never had any such problem with it ...

seagrasshut.jpg

Your birdie is lucky to have a parront as caring as you evidently are! I hope this helps you :)

OP
marsvv

marsvv

Aug 22, 2023
Parrots
As mentioned, nothing can ever be 100% guaranteed safe, but honestly I've seen far more instances reported of birds getting their feet tangled in the synthetic fibres of happy huts than the seagrass ones, with awful consequences. Here's a pic of the type that i use, and I've never had any such problem with it ...

View attachment 53654

Your birdie is lucky to have a parront as caring as you evidently are! I hope this helps you :)
Aww thank you!! I’ll try my best to take care of him.

G

Guest46745

If he's a chewer, I'm not sure what you can do about that, but for sleeping alternatives there are three that I know of. You have the seagrass (which seems itchy to me), PVC pipe (which seems to hard), or leather. All are safe for a bird to chew on. For the PVC, you go to a hardware store and buy a size your bird could fit in (maybe 4 inch?) and drill some holes to add the happy hut's hangers. You can buy premade ones (google "pvc parrot sleep"), but making your own is very easy. I don't like this because it seems very hard and doesn't allow for airflow (maybe drill holes all over the top). Huge bamboo would work too, know that I think about it. My favorite however is leather. I'm going to make a YouTube about how to do this, but I will attempt to explain in the post below:

G

Guest46745

If he's a chewer, I'm not sure what you can do about that, but for sleeping alternatives there are three that I know of. You have the seagrass (which seems itchy to me), PVC pipe (which seems to hard), or leather. All are safe for a bird to chew on. For the PVC, you go to a hardware store and buy a size your bird could fit in (maybe 4 inch?) and drill some holes to add the happy hut's hangers. You can buy premade ones (google "pvc parrot sleep"), but making your own is very easy. I don't like this because it seems very hard and doesn't allow for airflow (maybe drill holes all over the top). Huge bamboo would work too, now that I think about it. My favorite however is leather. I'm going to make a YouTube about how to do this, but I will attempt to explain in the post below:

There's a site in the UK that sells leather huts, but after looking at them you can make your own for much less money and shipping. Don't worry, this is a craft, not an art. Anyone can do it. I'll explain this in two ways, simple and hard. Either way, you have to find a leather supply store (fairly common) locally or online. You can only use natural, undyed leather. This type is safe for birds to eat if they wanted. SIMPLE: Buy thinner flexible leather (think a purse) and aim for the design of a tube, like the pvc pipe. Cut a rectangle out of the leather and "seal" it at the top, by using two pieces of wood screwed together. Think of it as two wooden rulers screwed together to hold the leather together at the top. That way the bird gets a nice, flexible, soft... kinda hole shaped bed. I guess you could use two pieces of leather and put cardboard in-between to add shape, the same way the happy hut does (maybe just cut open the happy hut and use it). HARD: Look at the seagrass. See how it has flats sides connected with plastic loops? Make that out of thick leather. Not so thick it doesn't bend, but thicker raw hide. Cut three squares (same dimensions as happy hut), use a leather hole punch or drill to make holes, then attach the corners, just like the seagrass, with plastic loops or leather string. I like this one the best because the bird gets airflow at each corner.

Hope that made sense and helps!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
If he HAS to have a hut there are seagrass huts that are safer.
Good that he's a male so you don't have to worry about unwanted eggs. I gave my budgie Rocky a fleece hut when she was first weaned because it made her feel secure. She chews everything else but never chews on the hut or her stuffed bird "friends". When it was apparent that Rocky was a girl, I sewed the hut shut so she could only sit on top of it and she likes to sleep on top. I think the soft fleece feels nice on her feet. If I take it out she sleeps standing on her stuffed bluebird's head.
As for safety, I don't see it less likely that a bird would chew and swallow either sea grass or the fleece. In fact, it would seem easier to chew/destroy sea grass than fleece. Swallowing either one could cause impaction

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Good that he's a male so you don't have to worry about unwanted eggs. I gave my budgie Rocky a fleece hut when she was first weaned because it made her feel secure. She chews everything else but never chews on the hut or her stuffed bird "friends". When it was apparent that Rocky was a girl, I sewed the hut shut so she could only sit on top of it and she likes to sleep on top. I think the soft fleece feels nice on her feet. If I take it out she sleeps standing on her stuffed bluebird's head.
As for safety, I don't see it less likely that a bird would chew and swallow either sea grass or the fleece. In fact, it would seem easier to chew/destroy sea grass than fleece. Swallowing either one could cause impaction
I can't worry about my birds swallowing inedible things and trust that they have enough sense not to. Otherwise their cages would be bare, sterile and boring!

KissyBeak

Feb 5, 2022
Parrots
White budgie (lotus)
Denim cobalt linnie (neelu)
I have a Linnie who lives For huts… i buy Seagrass huts, or make them by tying mats together with jute twine and hanging with plastic C links.
I do all else I can to reduce hormonal triggers (as per my fabulous and experienced breeders instructions) but Linnie’s are verrry burrowy and if I don’t give her some thing, she will go nuts, sneak into bed, chew holes in my linen sheets and bite my feet . And destroy our couch.
Never had an issue with getting stuck at all, the only thing is they have to be replaced once she chews through the floor. 😅 usually it is controlled, I let her go in the evening for a bit while we are chilling together. and supervised.
. However sometimes she will have a rolled up mat in her cages, it’s very open and airy so not too nesty, and she usually just sits on top and chews, sometimes will go and sit inside and peek at me, when she’s ready to go to bed.
I do worry about eggs, like anyone, but the only things that seem to make her really nesty, and hormonal, are plush things like shag carpets and bedding, sitting under the bed… (she puts up her tail and gets clucky etc) so I try to keep her away from those. The seagrass things she often prefers to sit on top and is often so engrossed with chewing and shredding that she doesn’t really get into nesty mode. I let her fly around the house all day and give her a really wholesome diet and supplements. She has great muscle tone.
Of course I’m always open to suggestions on how I can improve as a Linnie mom.
Anyway!
Here are some of the things she has liked… all from Amazon. Good luck and good job for getting rid of the snuggle hut.

This first one is really fabulous! No plastic parts… I usually take off the metal rings bc I prefer to tie it up with twine or plastic c links . It looks cute hanging from the ceiling, I like it bc it’s really sturdy and has other chewy bits on top.

Last edited:

Most Reactions