harlequin loves this, is it safe?

kbuchanan2

Sep 13, 2012
Parrots
Adopted a harlequin macaw september 2012
Hello..Kathleen and henry (my harlequin) here again with another question . I purchased colored popsicle sticks from Walmarts craft department in place in the bars of his cage seems to really love those however they safe? I'm new to this while I'm going to attempt to put a picture up of what this looks like any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help. Regards Kathleen and henry..

That was a quick lesson I don't seem to be able to add the photo album on my mobile phone once I get home I'll try to add a photo back to this posting from my PC I look forward to all your responses thank you for your time

Roxy_9_2011

Feb 3, 2012
Media
Albums
Michigan
Parrots
Roxy-Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure, Zeus-Turquoise conure, Carlos- YN Amazon & Jazz- GW macaw
Hey! I would take those popsicle sticks out at once. Just because you don't know if the paint they used to dye them is bird safe. Most paints are toxic to birds. Most likely those stick are not bird safe cause of the paint. But you can get a good deal on colored wood on mysafebirdstore.com (everyone here LOVES the store) Their toys and any products dyed are guaranteed to be safe (so they used bird safe paint). Hope this helps! (don't mean to worry you, just a helpful "heads up")

coral3

Aug 4, 2012
Australia
Parrots
'Ringo' - alexandrine, hatched 2012 ~ 'Prinny' - princess parrot, 1992-2012 RIP
Or you could buy plain, undyed ones & dye them yourself with food colouring? But I guess it might be easier/cheaper just to buy the bird safe ones in the first place...

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
If they are little kid/baby safe, they are generally bird safe also. I keep hearing that you should be careful where you buy things, because some of the "made in china" stuff can be contaminated with lead and other nasty stuff. I don't know if the ones you bought are (probably not, but better safe than sorry, right?) or not.

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
Those stick are safe Don't worry all the wall mart or Micheal's pop sticks are kid safe and bird safe if you are really worried get the uncolored ones and make your own dye with Kooliade just mix it up without sugar about two cups of water, like coloring eggs at easter.

horsesculpter

Jun 21, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Catalina Macaw, Sunny
Popsicle sticks are colored with safe food dyes, not painted and are fine. They don't last long in my macaws big beak though!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I feel really dumb right now because I swear, I didn't even know what a popsickle stick was until Alisana posted a link to them. :eek:

My Niko played with them when he was a baby. Now it takes him 1/10th of a second to turn one into toothpicks. :eek:

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
If you Macaw likes Popsicle sticks, you can find them natural. You can purchase bird safe dyes just like when you dye easter eggs and make them yourself. Then this is a win win for both of you but I too would remove the ones you purchased. Thanks Joe

Most Reactions