Harness success, sort of

Shine

Nov 3, 2016
Northern Nevada
Parrots
Fidget - BFA, Addy - Red Lored
We have been working on this and today he finally let me tighten it some. At least enough that I felt I could take him outside to let him experience it. He seemed to really like it and even quit trying to chew on it while we were outside. I can see that I need to tighten it better but overall I'm happy with our short trip to the outside world!
8739eedc196670f2d74344205d9af6b1.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Awesome, congratulations. :smile049: I have to get one for Levi. He's going to hate it! :(

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Sun conure named Lemon (nickname Moonie) hatched August 28, 2014, BFA Professor Green hatched August 22, 2014, Macaw Flash hatched Sept 15, 2007
That's awesome! Gives me hope! How old is Fidget and how long have you been working on harness training?

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
How cool is that??:eek: Dang...just look at his eye lol..that is a wide-eye'd parrot fersure! I wish I could interest Amy into wearing one :confused:
Maybe if I ship him off to April (Kiwi's Mom) for a few months lol. :D

Jim

OP
S

Shine

Nov 3, 2016
Northern Nevada
Parrots
AMBF, Yeah, I saw those eyes too. I think he was sorta freaked out that there was another whole world out there! LOL. His eyes were like that the whole time we were outside. And towards the end he was flapping his wings and really excited. After we came back inside and I took the harness off, I asked him if he liked it outside, he said, "Yeah." I asked him if he wanted to do it again and he said, "yeah" so I guess we will try again when I get off work today! :D

Getting him to this point was interesting. I started a few months ago and worked with him daily for about a week just trying to get him to stick his head through the head loop. Life got busy and after that I worked with him a bit about once a week or so. Sometimes I would just give it to him to play with. Last week I worked with him a bit and he let me put it over his head and then didnt try to immediately take it off. I managed to get it over his wings too and just left it like that for a few minutes, then took it off. Then yesterday we tried again and he was very compliant, (as compliant as an Amazon ever gets!). I was shocked, but we got it all done! Since it was on, we took a short walk.

Opinions please - The harness thats on him is a M size. I also have a small one, (which is recommended) but the head loop is so darn small it freaked him out when I tried it so I got a M and have used that since. But in looking at the pictures I took, it looks like its too big. (the head loop is slightly twisted ) I'm concerned that he might be able to work his way out of it although the way those things work, it would seem unlikely. Should I work on getting him into the S size or will the M be secure enough?

Last edited:
OP
S

Shine

Nov 3, 2016
Northern Nevada
Parrots
Today's walk. He was hesitant to put the harness on initially, but did great once we got the head loop on. He seemed more relaxed today and we were out for about half an hour. He was a bit suspicious of the ducks on the lake though. He thought he was king.
ac4fe5131f51143b3fa6b6b7551daa1a.jpg
1a5ac994c58b6f5fe4502d4267f16b87.jpg

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'

Amazon eye translation: "HOLY CRAP! There is a whole big world out here I never knew existed!!! Thanks mom!":D

Glad he's getting out and about now on his harness. I'm sure training was a big hassle, but the rewards for Fidget will be huge.

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Today's walk. He was hesitant to put the harness on initially, but did great once we got the head loop on. He seemed more relaxed today and we were out for about half an hour. He was a bit suspicious of the ducks on the lake though. He thought he was king.
ac4fe5131f51143b3fa6b6b7551daa1a.jpg
1a5ac994c58b6f5fe4502d4267f16b87.jpg

AWESOME!!!!!

How long did it take to get him to finally accept his harness?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
CONGRATULATONS!!! I know how much work has to go into getting a amazon to accept geting a harness on . Its really impratant to go out side right away after you get it on him, as that is the reward. Its just getting warm enough up here in NY to take Salty outside, so we will go to the store for toys and food. I would stik with the harness you have , just tighten it up a bit . Congrats, again!

Most Reactions

Latest posts