Has anyone here qurentined their bird?

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
To give the bird a check-up and get some testing done to get a clean bill of health. Some diseases don't show and if you put the bird with Peeps, even after the qurantine, you will then have TWO sick birds instead of one. That's going to be even more money than doing what's safe and getting a check-up.

OP
M

Mrspy

Jul 13, 2010
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure: Kiwi

Pacific Green Rumped Parrotlet: Peeps
So what if the bird does have a disease? Does he go on medication?

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
Yes, he will. When he is done taking the medication, take him back to the vet for another check-up, and if he's better, then he can be put in the same area as Peeps.

OP
M

Mrspy

Jul 13, 2010
Parrots

Peeps never got checked, should I check him as well?

OP
M

Mrspy

Jul 13, 2010
Parrots

That would be great if you could. But if he's fine and you're tight on money, Peeps should be ok.

Even if I've havn't checked him for the entire 3 years i've had him?

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
Mrspy it's all entirely up to you but it good to take them to a vet at the very least once a year. Birds don't usually show signs of illness until they are very very sick and often by then it's becomes very expensive to diagnose and treat. As stated by another member some are carriers of disease which means they don't get sick but can pass it on to others who will get sick.

Sometimes there are viruses or other nasties lurking that the bird is able to keep on top under normal circumstances however during times of stress, eg coming into a new home or having a new bird in the house, the immune system is compromised which give these things a chance to get the better of the bird resulting in a sick parrot

Having routine vet checks help to keep on top of anything that may be lurking under the surface and gives the vet a point of reference if your fid gets sick in the future.
Having both birds checked will make sure they are both healthy before introducing them. The vet may give them a clean bill of health - which I hope will be the case but speaking from experience, it's best to be safe.

OP
M

Mrspy

Jul 13, 2010
Parrots

Ok i'll check them both. But can I at least bring them both with me in the car when I go to the vet? Seeing as they'd be in the same car, gas is expensive ya know!!! lol

Also i'm going to seem really weird if I don't at least introduce the conure to Peeps. How long do they need to be exposed before getting sick do you think? I know it could be a lot it could be a little but can I at least show Peeps the Conure? *sigh* 2 birds in the same house never was so difficult!

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
In the car, cover one of them with a blanket. As for showing him, bring Peeps to the conure to check him out, but don't let them get too close.

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
*sigh* 2 birds in the same house never was so difficult!

It doesn't have to be difficult, just be patient (remember patiences is a virtue). You haven't always had 2 birds so a couple of months apart isn't going to make that much of a difference

GreenCheek

Aug 27, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Parrots
1 Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure: Cody <3
If you are going to have them in the car together, forget about the quarantine. It does not take long to be exposed to diseases, and a blanket is not going to stop the transfer of anything.. It is not as urgent for Peeps to get to the vet as it would be your new bird. Just get your new one to the vet first, get them cleared, and THEN get your other one in. And no, you can't have them "meet" and not spread any disease. Just be patient, they need to be completely separated. I really don't know how many other ways we can say it.

GreenCheek

Aug 27, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Parrots
1 Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure: Cody <3
In the car, cover one of them with a blanket. As for showing him, bring Peeps to the conure to check him out, but don't let them get too close.

If she did this, a quarantine would be pointless. They shouldn't be meeting each other at all, and certainly shouldn't be in a cramped car together.

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet

If she did this, a quarantine would be pointless. They shouldn't be meeting each other at all, and certainly shouldn't be in a cramped car together.

Good point...

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
If you are going to have them in the car together, forget about the quarantine. It does not take long to be exposed to diseases, and a blanket is not going to stop the transfer of anything.. It is not as urgent for Peeps to get to the vet as it would be your new bird. Just get your new one to the vet first, get them cleared, and THEN get your other one in. And no, you can't have them "meet" and not spread any disease. Just be patient, they need to be completely separated. I really don't know how many other ways we can say it.

Just imagine what would happen if she ever just spoke her mind :p..., Gotta love her ;)

OP
M

Mrspy

Jul 13, 2010
Parrots

Rats. :p. Oh well better to keep them apart for 1-2 months than not have either of them and waste a bucket load of money........

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Rats. :p. Oh well better to keep them apart for 1-2 months than not have either of them and waste a bucket load of money........

By George I Think He's Got It !!! :eek:

OP
M

Mrspy

Jul 13, 2010
Parrots

By George I Think He's Got It !!! :eek:

Is that some kind of insult? :p I've just never tried this kind of thing before and it all just sounds really paranoid. ;)

OP
M

Mrspy

Jul 13, 2010
Parrots

HAHAHAHAAHAHAH!!:p

Most Reactions

Latest posts