Has anyone seen one of these?

Kitty

Apr 10, 2012
Birmingham. UK
Hi everyone.

I'm looking for a large parrot cage with lots of floor space. The cage must have a solid bottom (plastic?) rather than bars. I'd like the biggest cage possible.

Does anyone know of any large parrot cages with a solid bottom?

Can anyone suggest a regular cage that could easlily be converted to have a solid bottom?

Thank you :)

Henryofmagic

Sep 5, 2012
Queens,ny
Parrots
Macaw,cockatoo
Why do you need a solid bottom for?

And you can just get any big Cage for a macaw don't matter an just go to a home depot and get pexi glass cut out to the gate on the bottom and just take out the gate and put the pexi glass.

Enjoy
Henry

MickeysMom

Feb 13, 2012
Media
Albums
Brookhaven, Pa
Parrots
Mickey - Female U2 age unknown. DNA test came back...he is a SHE,

Tinker 12 yr old female GCC

Chiquita 16 yr old Female U2 and Junior 16 yr old Male Grey
Both of our Cockatoo's have King's Cages.....on Chiquita's we removed the grate, and she has the pan as the floor.....most cages have a grate over the pan, you just take it out, and they have access to the solid pan floor.

Mudkips

May 6, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Birdy the Green Cheek Conure
The bars on the bottom of Birdy's cage come out so you can leave it as a solid base.
I thought that was a common feature in cages?

Edit: Oh I was beaten to it. :rolleyes:

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Is this for your crow? A cage large enough will be very expensive and probably have the wrong bar spacing. It would be easier to just build a indoor aviary with stainless steel mesh With a simple frame. it will be less expensive and give your bird more room.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I would go with a double macaw cage. I know they are available in the UK as an owner of some african greys has a double macaw cage for her two sibling greys. I don't know where the best location would be to buy one in the UK, but I know that here in the US, a double macaw cage is typically within the $600-$1,300 price range.

The bottom has the ability to have two grates, which you can remove, along with two metal trays. Short of that, you are looking at a single macaw cage (with 1 sliding metal tray instead of two), or building an aviary.

OP
Kitty

Kitty

Apr 10, 2012
Birmingham. UK
:18: Thank you all for letting me know!!

I went cage shopping for ideas today and figured out the bars on most parrot cages can be removed, I didn't realise that before! :rolleyes: I have a maximillian pionus (this isn't the bird that needs the solid bottom cage) and the floor bars on his cage can't be removed, I just guessed all other parrot cages were the same.

I planned to buy my cage second hand or order one online so I will check with the seller that the floor bars can be removed before I buy it :D

I have a crow like copperarabian mentioned. My bird spends most his time on the floor of his cage. Parrots obviously hold their food with their feet to break up what they're eating...Crows don't do this, they break up their food by smashing it with their beak on the ground which is why the cage needs a solid bottom with lots of floor space :)

PS: copperarabian, you said the bar spacing on a very large parrot cage would be wrong for a crow... What do you think the correct bar spacing would be for him? I didn't think the bar spacing would matter too much as he doesn't climb, chew or walk on the bars. I just planned to make sure the bars were small enough so he can't stick his head out the cage, and trust me, his head is pretty big!...Is that not ok? :confused:

Last edited:
OP
Kitty

Kitty

Apr 10, 2012
Birmingham. UK
Just to let you all know I got a new cage yesterday and it's exactly what I was after!

My little baby loves it! :)

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
:18: Thank you all for letting me know!!

I went cage shopping for ideas today and figured out the bars on most parrot cages can be removed, I didn't realise that before! :rolleyes: I have a maximillian pionus (this isn't the bird that needs the solid bottom cage) and the floor bars on his cage can't be removed, I just guessed all other parrot cages were the same.

I planned to buy my cage second hand or order one online so I will check with the seller that the floor bars can be removed before I buy it :D

I have a crow like copperarabian mentioned. My bird spends most his time on the floor of his cage. Parrots obviously hold their food with their feet to break up what they're eating...Crows don't do this, they break up their food by smashing it with their beak on the ground which is why the cage needs a solid bottom with lots of floor space :)

PS: copperarabian, you said the bar spacing on a very large parrot cage would be wrong for a crow... What do you think the correct bar spacing would be for him? I didn't think the bar spacing would matter too much as he doesn't climb, chew or walk on the bars. I just planned to make sure the bars were small enough so he can't stick his head out the cage, and trust me, his head is pretty big!...Is that not ok? :confused:
I'm not sure what the correct bar spacing would be, but a crow can still get it's head trapped.

Will you post a pic of the cage you picked out :D

OP
Kitty

Kitty

Apr 10, 2012
Birmingham. UK
The cage I picked is called a "Liberta Enterprise Parrot Cage".

I've had to modify the cage slightly because when the floor bars are taken out there's a gap between the wall bars and the tray base. I've raised the base from underneith using some wooden planks (which luckily isn't noticable unless you're lying on the floor!)

The bar spacing seems pretty suitable because he's unable to poke his head out the cage :)

Sandwich loves his new cage and I think it looks pretty nice too!

Here's a pic:
Liberta%20Enterprise%20Parrot%20Cage_A_SS-1.jpg

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Besides the open top, it looks like a great cage! Glad you were able to find a suitable one!

Most Reactions

Latest posts