Help finding large cage with less than 1" bar spacing

LunaG13

Apr 1, 2023
Parrots
Luna- White Bellied Caique
Hi! I'm on a hunt for a cage for my caique that is larger than her current cage (32x22x36), but it seems any cages that once existed that are extra large with bar spacing <1" are no longer being manufactured. I've searched all over and spoken with someone at a cage store who seemed to have a lot of knowledge about the different companies, inventory and production. I want to give her more space to move around and maybe even fly in her cage so she can do more when I'm not home.

Any ideas/suggestions??? Thanks so much!

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
What bar spacing are you looking for? I have a friend who breeds caiques and she uses cages with 3/4 spacing.

I've heard good things about this site:

Bird Cages 4 Less

I'm so happy you joined us!

OP
LunaG13

LunaG13

Apr 1, 2023
Parrots
What bar spacing are you looking for? I have a friend who breeds caiques and she uses cages with 3/4 spacing.

I've heard good things about this site:

Bird Cages 4 Less

I'm so happy you joined us!
I'm looking for any spacing less than 1", but all the bigger cages I'm finding have 1" or greater spacing. I checked out that site too. Thanks for the suggestion!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm looking for any spacing less than 1", but all the bigger cages I'm finding have 1" or greater spacing. I checked out that site too. Thanks for the suggestion!
They can be so hard to find in smaller spacing:(

I'm in Canada and that's the only one I know of in the US, but I'm sure you'll get more suggestions:)
Have you tried Craigslist? I've bought almost all of my cages used from Kijiji up here.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hi! I'm on a hunt for a cage for my caique that is larger than her current cage (32x22x36), but it seems any cages that once existed that are extra large with bar spacing <1" are no longer being manufactured. I've searched all over and spoken with someone at a cage store who seemed to have a lot of knowledge about the different companies, inventory and production. I want to give her more space to move around and maybe even fly in her cage so she can do more when I'm not home.

Any ideas/suggestions??? Thanks so much!
How about 37x23x45 high with 7/16 inch spacing for $325?
Or a really nice corner cage with a seed apron with a 42 inch widest part measurement and 30" side to corner measurement for only $279?
Or 37x22x44 with .6 inch spacing for $155?
Or 37x22x44 with .6 inch spacing for $174?
52longx17widex27high plus stand double cage with removable center divider. For $139.
Cages larger than these dimensions all have 1 inch or greater bar spacing and are much more expensive.
All these are on Amazon

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
How about 37x23x45 high with 7/16 inch spacing for $325?
Or a really nice corner cage with a seed apron with a 42 inch widest part measurement and 30" side to corner measurement for only $279?
Or 37x22x44 with .6 inch spacing for $155?
Or 37x22x44 with .6 inch spacing for $174?
52longx17widex27high plus stand double cage with removable center divider. For $139.
Cages larger than these dimensions all have 1 inch or greater bar spacing and are much more expensive.
All these are on Amazon
Another idea is that some of the 24x18x24 iron cages that are made of separate side front and back panels with removable rolling stands may be assembled so that two cages can be made into one, making a big 48x18x24 high cage It may require drilling a few extra holes into the frame so the bolts can be inserted "sideways" to hold the two side by side panels together. The one large cage could then be set onto two stands. I have four identical cages like this that I'm not currently using and I think I'm going to try to do this. I think three sides, the top and the stand(s) would provide enough structural support. The worst thing that could happen is I'll end up with a few extra holes drilled into the frame if I can't make it work.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
OP
LunaG13

LunaG13

Apr 1, 2023
Parrots
What's your budget and how big are you looking to go? The cage below is 1/2" bar spacing in the 85" model but... pretty dang big for one caique LOL
It would be a nice dream, but yes seems excessive to try to have in my living room so I'm resisting. Thanks for the suggestion!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Another idea is that some of the 24x18x24 iron cages that are made of separate side front and back panels with removable rolling stands may be assembled so that two cages can be made into one, making a big 48x18x24 high cage It may require drilling a few extra holes into the frame so the bolts can be inserted "sideways" to hold the two side by side panels together. The one large cage could then be set onto two stands. I have four identical cages like this that I'm not currently using and I think I'm going to try to do this. I think three sides, the top and the stand(s) would provide enough structural support. The worst thing that could happen is I'll end up with a few extra holes drilled into the frame if I can't make it work.

Iron as a term has been replaced by steel. So, I am guessing you meant to say steel as iron tends to rust rapidly and is not as strong or as easy to form.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Iron as a term has been replaced by steel. So, I am guessing you meant to say steel as iron tends to rust rapidly and is not as strong or as easy to form.
They are called "wrought iron" by the seller but of course they aren't real wrought iron. That would be extremely expensive, heavy and rusty. It isn't stainless steel as that is very expensive. It's heavier gauge wire than a typical cheap birdcage. So let's just call it thick gauge wire.

Most Reactions