Have a little question...

upcgirl

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Parrots
Max--Senegal

RIP Ricco--Mexican Red Head Amazon
I have had Max for 16 days now and I think my little guy is a little thin. What can I give him and how much should I give him to help fill him out a little? I don't have a scale, so I cannot weigh him at the moment. I don't think he is sick, I think it may just be the adjustment of his new home.

stephend

Jun 7, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Acorn - a Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure;
Bob - a Cockatiel;
Cricket - an American Budgie
I would take him to a vet. There is a chance that he is sick if he is too thin. If he is healthy and just thin a healthy diet should help him fill out.

OP
upcgirl

upcgirl

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Parrots
Max--Senegal

Stephen thank you. :) I think he is just still adjusting. He isn't horribly thin as in sick, I think he is adjusting to a new healthy diet, as he was a mostly seed eater in his former house and I have him on a pelleted diet.

schristensen13

Oct 6, 2010
Chico, CA
Parrots
Meyers (Kevin) and CAG (Mariah)
Are you cutting back on the seed mix slowly? It might be better for him to phase in pellets and fruits/veggies slowly so he doesn't drop any weight. If you took him completely off of seed you might want to add some back in. You don't want him to get so thin that he ends up catching something. Hope the little guy is alright!

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
when he is lookin thin, is he exploring? pointing with his head/watching something lol

as long as he is eating well and getting plenty of sleep :)

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
If he is thin then I thing that you should not shange from seed to pellets now, just give him more fat seed

OP
upcgirl

upcgirl

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Parrots
Max--Senegal

Sue, yes, that is when I first noticed it! I was like "Gosh, Max, are ya a little thin?" lol I don't notice any change in his appearance when he is sitting happily on his perch.

The foster I received Max from was weening him off seeds and onto pellets. When I got Max, he was freshly taken off seeds as a diet, and had been on pellets for a couple of weeks, and ate some baked pellet that has ground seeds and veggies/fruits in it--to eliminate wastefulness. But was given seeds as a treat. I don't give him a lot of seed treats. His bistro has some seeds in it, as does the baked pellet. But as a treat, I give him more fruits and nuts.

However, I also think Max is getting more "out of cage" time to explore and freely fly around the room. He was allowed out of his cage at the foster's house, but I think he gets a lot more time out of the cage here.

Last edited:

Most Reactions