Have you used Avicalm?

CrayZbirdlady

Feb 5, 2014
NH
Parrots
KC
Hello everyone! I recently ordered some Avicalm for my YSGCC who is going through her first hormonal phase. We live in an apartment complex and she has been a perfect bird for an apartment until recently. She has found a scream that comes out from time to time now that she is in the phase. We are doing everything to try and keep her from laying eggs by discouraging any sexual behavior but her excitement level is on high all the time. Our hopes is that we can use this to calm her down as she gets through this hormonal phase and then we can discontinue using it. Has anyone else used this and does it actually work, safely?
Help!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Sorry. Don't know anything about it.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Is it a screaming issue?

If so, have you tried the normal screaming protocols?

i.e. Cover the cage on 3 sides,

If the bird still does not quiet down, cover 4th.

When the bird quiets down, you uncover and praise it.

After awhile, the bird gets it, and all you have to do is drag the cover out of the closet and show it to the bird.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I have. Avicalm does absolutely nothing for any hormonal issues. Lupron helps with hormonal issues, especially females, but it's administered as an injection by an avian vet. Covering her can make her more hormonal so I will disagree with the above statement if in fact her issue is hormones. Putting her in a darkened enclosed situation will make it much worse.

OP
C

CrayZbirdlady

Feb 5, 2014
NH
Parrots
KC
Oh No! It definately seems to be a horomonal issue as the sexual behavior is now something she is doing and I've noticed her going to the floor to look for dark places to get into where she may want to lay her eggs. I've stopped rubbing on her back and wings as that seems to encourage the sexual postures, and I've taken her hut out of her house, as she used to rub on it. I work at a vets office and I'll see if they can get that medication. We usually only see dogs and cats but one of our vets has performed surgery on some cockatoos and I'm sure would be willing to do an injection. Will it help to put her to bed early as I've heard that should help to get her out of her hormonal phase?
Thanks for your responses everyone! All ideas are apreciated. We LOVE her and want to keep a happy house.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Her hormonal phase will pass on its own, and it definately helps to keep them in a solar schedule..up at dawn and bed by dusk. But this is part and parcel with having birds. At least she's not plucking, if All's she's doing is acting crazy then count your blessings because it could be much, much worse. Definately remove any happy huts and so forth, and keep up the practice of selective touching (neck and above). It will pass, and decrease as the years go by. Cut down on high fat snacks (nuts and seeds) and focus on more fresh veggies, greens, and fruits.

OP
C

CrayZbirdlady

Feb 5, 2014
NH
Parrots
KC
Thank you for that! I will see if my work can get the Lupron injections. I work at a vets office where we mostly deal with just cats and dogs but sometimes we see some small critters too and one of our vets has performed surgery on some cockatoos when she was working in emergency medicine. I'm sure she can help to dose and give such an injection. It is definately hormonal as she displays a sexual posture when her back is rubbed (which we have stopped doing) and is looking for dark places on the floor where I'm afraid she wants to lay eggs. What can we expect if she is to get bound by an egg? I'm so afraid of that happening!

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Even males to that (nest seeking) so I wouldn't worry. Just keep up what you've been doing and it will be ok. Sounds like you've nipped it in the bud, but anymore perceived sexual contact could set her off again. She'll cool off on her own. It helps to burn off the excess energy in vigorous play and stimulation. This will pass. :)

OP
C

CrayZbirdlady

Feb 5, 2014
NH
Parrots
KC
Thanks! She is out of her cage when ever we are home and has a 5 tiered play tower filled with toys that she plays on a lot. I really apreciate your advise. This is our first Green Cheek so its been a bit of an experience. They are far different that the cockatiels we are used to.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Yup, much different than tiels. That why they call conures mini-macaws, because they are their closest relative. Conures are full of drama :), but I ask you, is there anything sweeter?? :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts