Having nightmares about Kiko...

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Tangie; My beloved Sun Conure who passed away in May 2013
For the past several weeks I have been having dreams about Kiko. Or rather, nightmares. I don't have them every night, but at least 4 nights in a week. He died from febreeze in one nightmare, and I was so terrified. Another night he just became sick randomly. Another night I sat on him!:eek:

Although I know that I have the money laid out for an emergency vet visit, I think somehow I'm having anxiety that he'll get sick and die before I bring him to the vet. I don't think about it during the day, but obviously it's bothering my conscious somehow, so that it creeps into my dreams....I'm terrified for a while after I wake up, and I don't want these dreams any more. I realize I am the kind of person that has lot's of anxiety...my mom just thinks I'm somehow obsessing over my animals to make sure nothing bad happens to him.

But maybe it's just because of the stress my family is going through with car troubles? And cabin fever?:confused: Our snow reaches up past our windows!!!!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Oh I have those dreams sometimes too....I know others that does the same.....A lady I know of after her kitty passed she said no more animals because she was always having nightmares about them or feeling uneasy at work thinking about her animals at home. She couldn't take it anymore so she quit having animals.

OP
Tangie

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Aw, that's horrible xc. Hopefully mine will not be as often anymore though, after i 've dreamt each different scenario. After my animals die, even if it hurts so a lot, I can't possibly forget the whole pet thing. After Tangie died I felt like I needed another one so desperately. After receiving Kiko, he helped heal my loss. Even if he was extremely stubborn, agitated, and nasty, with the intention of biting me all the time.

LauraBear

Mar 22, 2014
Mississippi
Parrots
Seamus -GCC
I used to dream about Louie dying when I first got her because I was so worried about her getting hurt. Flushed down the toilet, squished, etc. All sorts of things. But I think once I became confident in her health and safety they stopped. Just have to leeeeet it go! Sorry had a Frozen moment. Anyways, your birdie will be fine. :) and it's normal to be worried.

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
I have severe anxiety and awful dreams/nightmares about whatever may be bothering me that day, so I understand. Sometimes it's one of my fids getting sick(Someone gave them a bad treat, flying into a mirror, someone breaking in and hurting them, etc) and other times it's OTHER birds that I've NEVER owned or personally interacted with.
One thing I've found that helps me is just to distract myself. Like you, I don't think about it much during the day, just at night. But I also have stress-induced insomnia, so I'm up late many nights just laying there, unable to sleep because my brain has *something* to worry about.
As far as distractions go, I read something, draw something, go on a walk/jog, do something that will leave me mentally/physically tired, so that before my brain and jump me with all these stressful thoughts, my body is already asleep! Sometimes that means up staying up until ungodly hours of the morning, but I'd rather get a solid 4 hours of sleep than 5 hours of sleep in half-hour chunks because my stress levels wake me up.
Maybe something like that could help you too? Just something to take your mind off things until you can fall asleep.

OP
Tangie

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
I used to dream about Louie dying when I first got her because I was so worried about her getting hurt. Flushed down the toilet, squished, etc. All sorts of things. But I think once I became confident in her health and safety they stopped. Just have to leeeeet it go! Sorry had a Frozen moment. Anyways, your birdie will be fine. :) and it's normal to be worried.

8o. Having your parrot die from being flushed down the toilet would be a horrible death. And thanks, now I feel the dreams will eventually fade away!! :D I actually think it might be the cause of my traumatic experience with my Sun Conure, Tangie, who passed away last May after I had only had her for about 2 weeks..

OP
Tangie

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
I have severe anxiety and awful dreams/nightmares about whatever may be bothering me that day, so I understand. Sometimes it's one of my fids getting sick(Someone gave them a bad treat, flying into a mirror, someone breaking in and hurting them, etc) and other times it's OTHER birds that I've NEVER owned or personally interacted with.
One thing I've found that helps me is just to distract myself. Like you, I don't think about it much during the day, just at night. But I also have stress-induced insomnia, so I'm up late many nights just laying there, unable to sleep because my brain has *something* to worry about.
As far as distractions go, I read something, draw something, go on a walk/jog, do something that will leave me mentally/physically tired, so that before my brain and jump me with all these stressful thoughts, my body is already asleep! Sometimes that means up staying up until ungodly hours of the morning, but I'd rather get a solid 4 hours of sleep than 5 hours of sleep in half-hour chunks because my stress levels wake me up.
Maybe something like that could help you too? Just something to take your mind off things until you can fall asleep.

Hhmmn....I'll try your advice. 83 it's weird that you say You have stress-induced insomnia, because I've never been diagnosed with it, but i usually always have my anxiety and stress during the night before bed, and i can't sleep. I have become better with it lately, but i would have panic attacks every night for almost thed whole last year. It especially started after Tangie died and gave the disease to all my duckling and they all died.

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas

Hhmmn....I'll try your advice. 83 it's weird that you say You have stress-induced insomnia, because I've never been diagnosed with it, but i usually always have my anxiety and stress during the night before bed, and i can't sleep. I have become better with it lately, but i would have panic attacks every night for almost thed whole last year. It especially started after Tangie died and gave the disease to all my duckling and they all died.

Yeah, it's definitely a weird thing. I was never given medicine for it, just anti depressants, mostly because my parents never wanted to pay for me to get tested(Like where they hook you up to monitors while you sleep or whatever to find out how your body sleeps/if you're getting the sleep you need.) but I talked to my psychiatrist about it for a while. I'm tired most of the day, just general fatigue, but when it comes time to lay down I get restless and irritated. Mostly when I have a doctors appointment or something the next morning. Then I can't sleep at all. :rolleyes: Even now that I'm moved out and whatnot it's still a frequent thing.

OP
Tangie

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
8o i 'm probably younger than you, as I'm in my 'late teens'. I'm tired all the time, and whenever I lay down too lately, I'm restless, irritable, sore, but tired. Even if I'm extremely tired I can't fall asleep. Luckily I stay home, so usually I wake up around ten lately. Whoopsie. I think that since I am not occupied, my mind can start to drift off to my problems. I'm also a stressed person by nature, someone who is a little stubborn, a perfectionest....xD. My senses are actually heightened too,(other than sight.), so that might have an affect somehow too. But I realized having parrots helps with this situation. They bring me joy, and I feel like I'm actually needed.

Tonight has actually been one of the bad nights. I'm worrying over everyone right now, so I can't sleep. It's already 12 a.m xc

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
8o i 'm probably younger than you, as I'm in my 'late teens'. I'm tired all the time, and whenever I lay down too lately, I'm restless, irritable, sore, but tired. Even if I'm extremely tired I can't fall asleep. Luckily I stay home, so usually I wake up around ten lately. Whoopsie. I think that since I am not occupied, my mind can start to drift off to my problems. I'm also a stressed person by nature, someone who is a little stubborn, a perfectionest....xD. My senses are actually heightened too,(other than sight.), so that might have an affect somehow too. But I realized having parrots helps with this situation. They bring me joy, and I feel like I'm actually needed.

Tonight has actually been one of the bad nights. I'm worrying over everyone right now, so I can't sleep. It's already 12 a.m xc

Yup, it's about 11:30 PM here, not really tired so I'm gonna wait up for a bit longer and then take a shower and try to relax. Have to wake up early for a doctors appointment so I'm not expecting I'll have any luck hah. Anxiety, man.
I'm 19, so I'm still "technically" a teenager. I just moved out of my parents early, and I've always had my own pets at their house, which I took with me when I moved. (Except for my most recent, an eclectus, he's living with my dad until I get my bigger apartment in June and have room for him. ) :)

We're probably pretty close to the same age, and we seem to have allot in common interest-wise and anxiety-wise hah. If you ever need to rant or just blow off some steam feel free to PM me. I work from home, and usually am on the computer so I can be a good listener if you just like to talk. :D

OP
Tangie

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Well, I hope you guys will have an anxiety-free night tonight, Laura and Sterling. :) As well, as me too. XD

OP
Tangie

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.

Yup, it's about 11:30 PM here, not really tired so I'm gonna wait up for a bit longer and then take a shower and try to relax. Have to wake up early for a doctors appointment so I'm not expecting I'll have any luck hah. Anxiety, man.
I'm 19, so I'm still "technically" a teenager. I just moved out of my parents early, and I've always had my own pets at their house, which I took with me when I moved. (Except for my most recent, an eclectus, he's living with my dad until I get my bigger apartment in June and have room for him. ) :)

We're probably pretty close to the same age, and we seem to have allot in common interest-wise and anxiety-wise hah. If you ever need to rant or just blow off some steam feel free to PM me. I work from home, and usually am on the computer so I can be a good listener if you just like to talk. :D

Okay, sounds like a plan! And we do seem like we have a lot in common with interests and anxiety. And I'm technically classified as a teenager too, on the 'older' side, though. Not quite as old as you, though. And I hope your doctor's appointment goes well!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I sometimes have bird dreams too. I think it's common among pet people to have dreams/nightmares involving our pets. It's usually been about losing a bird for me, or not knowing where he/she is at the moment and being concerned about it (but not quite as freaked out as I'd be in real life). That is not my waking fear, so I don't know what that means. In my dreams I usually have a huge assortment of finches, smaller parrots, but one close to me gets away.

There are 'dream dictionaries' online to look up meanings. Don't know what it's based on, and I can't see that they would do scientific studies on it, but it may be fun to look at.

Most Reactions

Latest posts