He is a She

FA22raptero

Sep 26, 2012
Media
Lower Mainland/Vancouver Island of British Columbi
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (regular variation)
So turns out Mango, who's we've had for over year, is not a HE, but rather a SHE! Doesn't matter to me, but I thought it was funny. Do you guys find that you see your birds differently after you learn their sex? I find that I accidentally assign gender traits to them (just little funny ones) and it's kinda funny when you realize how inaccurate those are.

Bourkes

Jan 14, 2014
Media
Albums
Doesn't matter to me, but I thought it was funny. Do you guys find that you see your birds differently after you learn their sex?

Yes, it is funny.
Having seen birds with gender preferences all my life I still am not sure how they know our gender.
I am not convinced they actually know our gender but are responding to something different they are responding to because of how many "male" birds that love only women turned out to be female and vice versa.
I have also had birds become infatuated with me who were "women only" birds and wonder if it was my long hair or sweet talk that did it.

I feel that people who can read birds and respond properly to them naturally are more liked.
My grandmother had an Amazon her mother brought from Guatemala that HATED my grandfather and uncle with a passion and would attack most men but not me or my father.

Janedeaux

Mar 10, 2012
Mississippi
Parrots
Sunday/gold capped hybrid conures: mystic and gypsy
Sun: Paisley
my she turned out to be a he. now I have a boy conure named paisley. I look at him differently for sure. I did assign some gender traits in my head. also, it was hard to break habit of saying she, but now I can't even remember what it felt like thinking of him as a girl. my sweet boy.

Squirt

Oct 13, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Sun Conure (f) Tallulah
Aw, my bichon frises girl was named Paisley. She had her "brother" Gloworm passed this last summer. They were 16.5 years old. I love the name Paisley.

Anyway, back on topic, it was important to me to know what sex Tallulah was. As soon as I saw her I thought, "That bird is a Tallulah." She picked me. Then when I spoke to the woman who raised her she had her DNA sexed already and she was a girl. But if she wasn't DNA sexed I would have done ASAP. I hate the idea of assigning a bird the wrong gender. Sure the bird doesn't care but I guess because I would be offended if somebody thought I was a man...I transferred that emotion to the bird. Silly, I know.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
It wouldn't phase me one way it the other. I thought Sammie was a girl when we got her and it turned out we were right, but we picked the name Sammie because it could go either way.

I've been called "sir" so many times because my hair is short and I don't wear make up. I don't let it bother me. I know they don't do it to be mean.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
My she turned out to be a he, and I was so sure lol! I changed his name immediately, but it took a few weeks for me to adjust to it.

Janedeaux

Mar 10, 2012
Mississippi
Parrots
Sunday/gold capped hybrid conures: mystic and gypsy
Sun: Paisley
thank you! I adore the pattern, so Paisley just sort of got his name that way. we first named him something Hawaiian like kilani or similar but paisley just came about within a few days. I also found myself needing to know when I started watching some actions and behaviors about 4 months in and thought to myself, uh oh, I think we have a he. I needed to know! and I was right.

I couldn't change his name at that point! it was stuck. kalidasa, what was his name to start with?

Most Reactions