He won't eat anything but pea's!

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Arg. Merlin's always been a very good eater. But since making him his veggie mixes (peas, carrot, broccoli, cauliflower) all he's doing is 'popping' the peas, scraping out the insides and leaving everything else!

He even took to bulliyng Charlie away from his dish so he could eat his peas.

He's eating his harrissons and stuff just fine, but won't touch anything else. He had A carrot piece earlier today (after a pea!) and started getting excited and almost regurgitating with it, I thought, great, turning point! Then that was it, peas from there on in.

Grrr.

Just a little grumble. Wish he'd eat more than just pea's, I'm making lovely spicey and flavoured batches of this mix for him (today was garlic I believe) but... just peas!

Charlie's fussy with food, so I'm not fussed about him, but Merlin will eat anything you put in front of him usually. Grrr :p

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Peas were my canary's favorite food. Gilbert is really good unless he knows there is more of something--if i make pasta and vegetables and put in his bowl, he normally eats all his favorite things first and then moves on to the rest. But if he sees there is more (normall the pasta is what he goes for first) he will climb off his perch and steal more of what he wants and NOT eat the other stuff until it is taken out of sight. It's kind of funny. :)
Last night he and i had a big salad. I put a variety of veggies in his bowl and when i went to take a pic of my salad, Gilbert ran in and stole a craisin and a soy nut off the top, LOL. (he doesn't normally get much of sugary craisins or salty soy nuts so he had to steal it while he had the chance.)

OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Peas were my canary's favorite food. Gilbert is really good unless he knows there is more of something--if i make pasta and vegetables and put in his bowl, he normally eats all his favorite things first and then moves on to the rest. But if he sees there is more (normall the pasta is what he goes for first) he will climb off his perch and steal more of what he wants and NOT eat the other stuff until it is taken out of sight. It's kind of funny. :)
Last night he and i had a big salad. I put a variety of veggies in his bowl and when i went to take a pic of my salad, Gilbert ran in and stole a craisin and a soy nut off the top, LOL. (he doesn't normally get much of sugary craisins or salty soy nuts so he had to steal it while he had the chance.)

Haha, how cute!

Merlin is kinda the same I guess, if he knows theres more of 'the good stuff' he'll be a royal pain in the butt till that's done with. He ate a teeeny bit of cauliflower after I posted this... its' something I guess :p

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Cat, he may just be going through a phase. :) YEARS ago my Hunter was on a pea kick. She would do the same thing, pick out ONLY the peas. Luckily the phase passed, and I hope it will for Merlin, too.

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
They can all be selective LOL
reduce the number of peas, he will eat those first and then eat other stuff hopefully. They always pick what they like best first.

chippy

Feb 16, 2013
Parrots
2 Indian Ringnecks, Tiki (DH's) and Pippin (mine), 1 lovebird, Gemma (DD's) and 1 in birdy Heaven... RIP, Wilbur.
Pippin did that yesterday with his salad... only it was the cucumber he wanted! He's never been so excited about a veggie before! It was quite entertaining to watch.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Nika went thru a pea-phase for about 3 weeks, but she got tired of them and doesn't care for them now. Actually, I do the same thing, eat a favorite dish until I'm sick of it! :)

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Arg. Merlin's always been a very good eater. But since making him his veggie mixes (peas, carrot, broccoli, cauliflower) all he's doing is 'popping' the peas, scraping out the insides and leaving everything else!

He even took to bulliyng Charlie away from his dish so he could eat his peas.

He's eating his harrissons and stuff just fine, but won't touch anything else. He had A carrot piece earlier today (after a pea!) and started getting excited and almost regurgitating with it, I thought, great, turning point! Then that was it, peas from there on in.

Grrr.

Just a little grumble. Wish he'd eat more than just pea's, I'm making lovely spicey and flavoured batches of this mix for him (today was garlic I believe) but... just peas!

Charlie's fussy with food, so I'm not fussed about him, but Merlin will eat anything you put in front of him usually. Grrr :p

Kiwi eats anything. She is a little piglet.

Rio is being so picky right now. Even with her Harrison's. She isn't eating the course pellets, and just some of the fine ones. I do have some Lafenbers Garden Veggie and Sunny Orchard Nutriberries, I have been giving her some and she will break those apart, but not sure how much she is really eating. She is just driving me crazy. I made some banana nut squash, snap peas, cilantro, carrots, and apple mixture which she picks through. Ugh! Is it the molt that is driving her appetite or there lack of?

Most Reactions