health advice please

jared185

May 8, 2014
Ok I have a serious questuon I ended up buying my parakeet a huge new cage with more toys (transfering cages was a headache he got loose and went flew my bathroom and I tried to do the step up proceedure but hed step up then fly lol so had to use a towel) and I leave radio on while working. My budgies not as jumpy as he was and hes eating good and using bathroom about every 10 to 15 min however while my budgie aka raptor which is what my son named him got out of his cage I noticed that when he goes to the bathroom sone gets stuck to his rump. Is this normal or a sign of an ilness or sickness. I took him to vet the day I got him and everything checked out. And ill take him back if needed but the avian vet is 125 miles from me. I just want to make sure this could be a problem before I drive that far for nothing.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
You mean poop gets stuck to his vent feathers?

Could be a sign of stress or even an indication of being sick.

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird
ummm... well if hes okay with letting you hold him, you should wipe it off with a wet cotton bud. it might just be stress or something? im not sure but i suppose you could wait some more time before taking him to the vet.

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Pineapple Turquoise Greencheek Conure-Ivy❤️, Male Cockatiel-Lusa (aka Bub =D)
Yes a dirty butt usually isn't a good sign. How about you call the vet and ask him about it before making the trip? He'll let you know if you need to take him or not

OP
J

jared185

May 8, 2014
Yes I can tell he is stressed he ive done the best I could do to limit that stress but hes so scared of people its crazy like a wild bird outside. Ive had hime for a while and hes not tame by any means he not as bad as he was but ive moved very slow with him just been keeping my hand in bottom of cage and sitting there reading never trying to grab him its a little discouraging as much time and energy iv focused to him I think as scared as hes acting if he was abused physically

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Not being tame is not a sign of being abused. Parent raised birds will thrash around a cage trying to escape a predator (or even a potential predator - i.e. humans). They don't know that humans are "ok".

Instead of putting your hand in the bottom of the cage, you might try clipping a piece of millet to the side of the cage nearest where you sit, then "ignore" the bird. If the bird doesn't come over to the treat, you might be sitting too close and may want to consider moving further away. As the bird starts getting more comfortable with you, you may try sitting closer and closer to the cage while he eats. Over time, you may be able to hold the millet instead of clipping it to the side of the cage. Then, you may be able to 'target' him around the cage for the millet, and over time, even onto your hand.

OP
J

jared185

May 8, 2014
Well lol thanks for all the input guys I appreciate it idk what id do without this forum. Ill monitor my budgies situation so you think its better to leave him be for a couple weeks and ignore him I can do that lol can anyone give me a basic outline of taming ive read on internet and had a friend tell me but id like advice from people who keep budgies on regular basis and know alot more than I do ireally appreciate all responses

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Living With Parrots Cage Free: Bucky and Strider - Millet Eating Fiends!

I no longer keep budgies, but when I last had a flock of 5, I started the taming process simply be feeding them by hand first thing in the morning. After they finished eating that food, I replaced the left-overs in their dishes.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUx81WHTUwk"]1 Bird in hand Leads to Many - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlSm4uFZzVU"]More Budgies!!!! - YouTube[/ame]

With birds that aren't comfortable with you putting your hand into their cage, it may help to start out by putting millet against the outside of the cage, near a perch that they use frequently, and don't look at them directly. They can then eat the millet as they become accustomed to you. It may take a few days though before they are ok with this.

Most Reactions