Healthy choices for picky birds

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Sprite the cinnamon green cheek conure.
I've learned in the 1 1/2 years of having Sprite that he is WICKED picky and only likes to eat oily, fatty human food! I also realized yesterday that I've been neglecting his fresh food needs from being so busy so I pulled out my parrot cookbook (the one by Robin Deutsch, if you don't have it get it!) and refreshed my memory on all the certain vitamins and what foods have them. So since his birthday was Thursday (already 2!?) my mom agreed to buy him 3 jars of baby food, which he loves! The problem with baby food is it comes in huge jars and he only gets through a few teaspoons before it goes bad. So today I covered 2 cookie trays in Saran wrap and plopped little dots of baby food on them and stuck them in the freezer. Tomorrow I'm gonna try putting spinach in a food processor and adding it to scrambled eggs so I can secretly sneak some green vegetables (and Vitamin K!!) into his diet! Anyone else have picky eaters? How do you sneak healthy food into their diet?

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Rosie was picky at first, but now she is willing to try anything at least once.

What I did was make a 3 month batch of chop mix and feed it once everyday. I also offered dark leafy greens, carrots, and apple at a different time of day. She ignored the chop mix until I only had 10 bags left, then she suddenly loved it and is now very excited to eat it.

The fresh veggies were mostly thrown to the floor everyday, but I didn't care because she was still getting exposure. If I put the fresh veggies on a skewer she'll eat a little then decide it's fun to tear it up instead. I now know her fresh veggies need to be chopped into small pieces, but I still throw in a couple bigger pieces.

Also, now that Rosie flies she seems much more willing to eat her fresh & prepared foods.

OP
Atwee921

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Sprite the cinnamon green cheek conure.
So I guess I should just keep trying to offer the veggies everyday?

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Try mixing baby food into birdie bread. Use any corn bread/muffin mix. Use whole egg, shell & all, mixed in a blender. Follow other directions on box.

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
Bird bread and chop mixes are to live by when trying to get a better diet on path IMO. As well as always offer it again even if they have thrown it to the ground many many times before. Try all types of fruits and veggies as many are as good as others or better and they may pick something different you would never have thought about.

Most Reactions

Latest posts