Help with aviary questions

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
My mom really likes Kinji, and of course Rosie(but Rosie doesn't feel the same lol). She told me we should buy or build a aviary(permanent walk in structure, not on wheels). If we had a outdoor aviary they could hangout outside when we eat dinner on the deck, working in the garden, or on nice days. I would plan on dividing the aviary to keep Kenji and Rosie from getting too close.

I don't really think we'll be able to do it though, I've been looking online and aviary's are way out of my budget, and my parents couldn't justify spending that much on something for a pet. I don't have that much hope for building one since it seems it will be just as expensive as buying one.

Does anyone know a cost effective(safe!) way to make an aviary?

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
Here you go: PVC Aviary Depending on size you can do this for a few hundred dollars. Note, the aviary in the picture uses wire with large holes because the entire yard is enclosed as an aviary. See the 4x4 post on the right? That is holding the wire mesh that encloses the yard. If you build this you would want to use a wire mesh with smaller holes.

IMG00636-20100701-1618.jpg

Last edited:

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
thanks Sodakat! My aviary has moved up on the list of things to build to number 2!!! I like the idea of using PVC better than wood. But would the birds be able to chew through the zip ties?? Also the gap between the door and frame looks big is there a way to make that a tighter fit do you think??

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
thanks Sodakat! My aviary has moved up on the list of things to build to number 2!!! I like the idea of using PVC better than wood. But would the birds be able to chew through the zip ties?? Also the gap between the door and frame looks big is there a way to make that a tighter fit do you think??

I'm sure you could use another method to fasten the wire mesh besides zip ties. There is a sanctuary in Washington state that uses aluminum car port frames covered in wire mesh. I'm sure they fasten the mesh with something besides zip ties since they house cockatoos and macaws. Sanctuary Information Scroll down the page for some pictures of the aviaries and maybe you can figure out how they did it. I chose wood partly because I wanted to use screws and washers.

Regarding the door, I'm sure that can be adjusted too. If I were building it, I would have an air lock so there was a double door that would provide security when you are entering and exiting.

I know from experience with the hinged door on my bird room that some of my clever fliers can swoop through when the door is almost closed. Or they jump on my shoulder or head just as I'm leaving. In this case the birds just end up in my living room. In an outside aviary they would be in the great outdoors.

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
This link has a good idea for an aviary:

Tips for Colonies

We have been in the process of building one for a while, progress has been painstakingly slow. If we didn't have the dogs then I would enclose my entire backyard in netting:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmyahJUeVdE"]Elmo training - YouTube[/ame]

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
Oh and a good rule of thumb is to never use wire with an opening that a bird can fit its head through, if they can fit their heads through there has be some accidents resulting in severe trauma/death.

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
See I dont mind spending the money I just don't know what wire to use.. I really don't ant to use any gaw or galvanized wire. Any suggestions?

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
If you are not willing to use GAW wire I think you should forget the idea of building an aviary. Stainless is very expensive.

You can use netting like in the video above but it is not predator proof so you would need to be outside all the time.

I spent a long time talking about building an aviary, then fiinally did it last summer. I am happy with my wood structure and GAW wire.

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
I really worry about zinc being an issue, I've looking into PVC coated, but Im not sure I like that to much ether. Anyone have input on using the gaw wire and how safe this is and so on? I am going to build this even if it means that I will have to invest into stainless steel wire...

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I could never bring myself to use galvanized wire, it only takes one good nibble and your bird will have zinc poisoning.

I found this web site, they have nylon mesh with a stainless steal wire core. I've been considering using strong nylon mesh since Rosie will never be unsupervised(if only for a quick trip to the bathroom ;) ) and she is not a big chewer. It will take a while until Kinji is ready to be out in a aviary, and his wings are probably atrophied(been a walker for 20 years) so he won't be flying.

Bird Aviary Netting

wire_core_net.jpg

And a weaker netting were the stainless steel thread is visible
wire_net.jpg

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
If you will always be outside with Rosie then the netting is fine. Zip ties will work then also.

I would encourage you to plan on something you will actually do, instead of setting the bar so high you get discouraged.

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
If you will always be outside with Rosie then the netting is fine. Zip ties will work then also.

I would encourage you to plan on something you will actually do, instead of setting the bar so high you get discouraged.
Great to know :)

And no worries, I'm trying to be realistic in my ideas haha. At the moment I have a ton of ideas, I haven't even bought anything yet since I don't know which I'll go with lol

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania

Well it's ether I do that or I get my huge double macaw cage back from a lady in west Chester. She was borrowing it and it's 40" width by 80" long by 6 foot high so it's pretty huge and could be used as well. Or I will make it out of a different idea I have.

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels

Well it's ether I do that or I get my huge double macaw cage back from a lady in west Chester. She was borrowing it and it's 40" width by 80" long by 6 foot high so it's pretty huge and could be used as well. Or I will make it out of a different idea I have.
My mom suggested using a cage, I told her if we did that we would need to be diligent about covering it when not in use. Indoor cages, unless stainless steal will rust when in the elements.

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
yes that is the whole issue about useing a cage and really if you were to buy stainless steel mess it would be cheaper then a big enough parrot cage for them to fly in. that huge macaw cage is a $2000 cage powder coated(mine is) and its a $4000 cage stainless steel... so i mean for that price you could be the mess and build a frame cheaper imo.

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
I spent between $1500 and $1800 to build my aviary. But mine is predator proof and my birds can spend the night outside. This is what I wanted for them.

You can build Lara's PVC aviary for $300 unless you use stainless wire or neeting with stainless strands.

If you are going to be outside the entire time your bird is, you can keep them off the wire if that is your concern. Mine spend all their time on branches and ropes, not on the wire.

Most Reactions