Jul 28, 2014
Ceres, CA
Parrots
Sherlock - Blue crowned conure 10yr,
Sunny - yellow sided GCC 3yr,
Echo - yellow sided GCC 2yr,
Kiwi - Blue fronted amazon 15yr
RIP Nate - the best cockatiel
Yes I did tell her he was always welcomed back at anytime no questions asked. It really wasn't about money she truly loved him. I think it would have been insulting to try to pay her money to try to keep him. Echo has been very quiet still eating and drinking fine. And still interacts with me normal. But she does look around and call for him, it's very sad.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Understood and I'm glad to hear their relationship was good. I hate to hear he is calling and not getting the answer he expects but they, and you need to hang in there. Hugs.

Mango121913

Aug 9, 2014
Ripley WV
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus
I think you are going to have to show Echo more loving and affection. Keep his mind off of losing a friend as much as you can. It may be tough but you guys can help each other through.

OP
ACE209

ACE209

Jul 28, 2014
Ceres, CA
Parrots
Sherlock - Blue crowned conure 10yr,
Sunny - yellow sided GCC 3yr,
Echo - yellow sided GCC 2yr,
Kiwi - Blue fronted amazon 15yr
RIP Nate - the best cockatiel
Echo has become a velcro bird which is ok with me but sherlock is incredibly jealous he will pout and scream. It's sad how missing one member of the family will cause so much chaos.

JosephN79

Dec 17, 2013
Northern Kentucky
Parrots
Kona & Ino: Green Cheeked Conures--

Petey: Yellow Female Parakeet--

Chicken: Blue Male Parakeet--

Pickle: Male Yellow Indian Ringneck--

Girlie: Orange Winged Amazon
I'm sad and I'm not even in your shoes! I have two GCC siblings from the same clutch. They're bonded to each other and about a year old. I dread the day one passes away and the other is left without their buddy. They're bonded to me as well... but I love seeing them cuddle together and preen eachother. Hopefully I have plenty of time ahead with them ;)

Again.. I'm very sorry you had to give back... I empathize with you 100%.

Kimmied

Sep 7, 2013
PA
Parrots
I have one umbrella cockatoo. A female 3 years old named Mina.
I agree I think she got her bird nice and trained now she wants it back. Not fair to the bird first off ( bad parront on her part) and very hard on you as well. I think you should push to keep him somehow. I don't think she realizes how selfish she is being. How long have you had the bird. If it's like a year or more I think I would tell her no dice. That he had bonded with your family and flock and you can offer something for him but it would be to cruel to take him away and you didn't think she was coming back. Maybe that would shame her a little?? I feel so bad for you and angry that you have to go through this. Sorry I just empathize with people to much. I hope every thing goes well for you and Gerry some good energy so he can stay[emoji1]. Let us know.

Heidielise

Nov 25, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Very selfish of the woman. Regardless of your promise, I think you have an obligation to educate her on the reality that conures are not possessions or "things," but intelligent beings with the intellect of a toddler. It would be unethical to expect a toddler who has been adopted to adjust to being uprooted after finding a loving home. Same goes for a parrot. She hasn't expressed the least interest in the bird until now. To just show up on the scene & expect to take the bird back is selfish & irresponsible. I think you should be honest & tell her just that. Explain that unless the environment that led to her nippiness has changed, the bird is likely to act out & manifest her sadness by biting & self-mutilating. Ask her if she's really prepared to subject this companion to such cruelty. Then offer to take Birdie back WHEN she starts to act out.

Most Reactions

Latest posts