Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
So, someplace between the West Coast of North American and England, a large dip in the Jet Stream is building, which means the Eastern Part of North America will be getting cooler weather than normal. Its arrival was punctuated by heavy rain storms, which are currently rolling though the East Coast at this moment! Life on a globe!

Be safe if you're in the heat, be mindful that this to shall pass for everyone!

I hope this coolness comes through to the west coast :D! That's if it doesn't evaporate by Texas lol.

OwnedByGeorge

Jun 7, 2017
I went for a bikeride once in 110F with no clouds, sun beating on me, because my friends in Spain convinced me to. They had to hose me down at a gas station. Had I not been hosed down I would have lasted another 120 seconds then passed out.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I'm in Seattle, and it's warming up here, but I love it. I should probably live somewhere else! My little apartment stays nice and cool and the complex has two pools if I want to take a cooling dip. I am concerned for all the people who will be attending the pride parade tomorrow though. It's supposed to hit 90 and I can see dehydration and heat stroke being a real problem.

Kiwibird is right though. The expense of AC is wasted up here in the PNW. I'd rather spend that money on a quality electric blanket that I'll use all winter long! And by winter I mean starting in October and I did turn it on last week LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
It has seriously been like living on the surface of the sun this summer and the harder our poor dehumidifier works to lower humidity the more heat it turns out, raising indoor temperatures even higher. We finally broke and decided to buy an A/C for the hottest days. Did a lot of research into them and how to run them most efficiently. Our HOA won't allow big visible A/C units in the windows, which left us with the option of a freestanding unit or a "vertical casement window" unit for the one little slider window tucked into the back of our patio not visible from the ground that did not open wide enough for a cheap window unit to fit in no matter what we did to rig it in there. Those freestanding units are apparently pretty ineffective and can leak water, but the special casement window units are 4-5X more expensive than a normal window A/C which is out of the question budget wise. We finally found one in decent condition on craigslist for $100 this week, which seems a more sensible price to pay for an occasional use item, so now we at least have the option of cooling it down a bit.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Kiwibird is right though. The expense of AC is wasted up here in the PNW. I'd rather spend that money on a quality electric blanket that I'll use all winter long! And by winter I mean starting in October and I did turn it on last week LOL.

I'm the exact opposite lol. One of our big draws to Oregon was the extended cool and rainy weather most of the year. I love it myself!

Most Reactions