Heaters

Milolovesbirds

Jan 7, 2024
Parrots
Currently
Quaker Parrots
Budgies
Hi, this is my first post here. I have question, I have a Comfort Zone Portable Fireplace Heater. Is this heater safe around birds? Does it contain any Teflon? Or how do I find out if I does.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Sorry and sadly, this product is one of the most costly, small space heaters to use as it is designed for looks first and somewhere down the list it provides some heat. They are manufactured solely in China and there is little way to know anything about them.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
What the Sailboat said.
Truly, I don't trust any heaters.
Read the labels... research the brand online with reference to birds; hopefully you'll find good advice.

petunia

Jan 8, 2024
Parrots
I have been doing the same thing, I am looking for a humidifier and it seems no one has any that don't have any without PTFE/PFOA. I have tried the Allergy Club website so far nothing. If I find one,I will let the forum know.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Teflon, PFAS and other names for the same family of chemicals are in and on so many products these days. ALmost everything with a heating element has some coating as a corrosion protectant, but un-expected things like microwave popcorn bags, some "Scotchguard" fabrics and now even scissors (!) have non-stick coatings. In manufacturing there is a big push to get away from these chemicals, because they are 'forever' compounds, meaning they never breakdown into simpler chemicals. It is estimated that these chemicals are now in just about every living organism on Earth now. Getting back to your heater, I would trust it as far as I can throw it (onto the nearest trash heap). If you need a heater, the oil=filled type like a DeLonghi, is safe, as the heating element is 100% sealed. And they work well too.

Note if you have a self cleaning oven, using that cycle raises the temp high enough to vulcanize any foods etc in the oven. Unfortunately it also is high enough to burn off any production fluids that may be left from manufacturing and those fumes are deadly to birds.

Most Reactions

Latest posts