My 3 year old quaker suddenly became aggressive

April12

May 1, 2020
Like the title says my 3 year old quaker parrot became suddenly aggressive with me today and I don't know why. I had him for 3 years and he was always really sweet with me but would be more aggressive with strangers. Today when I went to say hello to him he lunged at my head and started bitting me. I'm not sure what happened to cause the sudden behaviour change because he was normal yesterday. Not even with strangers is he this aggressive he just tries to stay away from them so I'm really confused as to what happened.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Was this near or on his cage? Quakers are notoriously cage defensive. Try moving him to a neutral area, well away from his cage.

OP
A

April12

May 1, 2020
Was this near or on his cage? Quakers are notoriously cage defensive. Try moving him to a neutral area, well away from his cage.
He was like this when I moved him to the living room too, and he never showed signs of cage defensivness before

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Although Quakers bite, they always have a reason ( even if it’s not obvious ) so if this really just happened out of the blue, I would look for anything that might have triggered it. Did you change your hair, wear a new shirt, have on a hat or glasses etc? My Quaker hates particular patterns on clothes and will get cranky when I’m wearing those shirts. I’ve also heard of Quakers getting upset by something as simple as a sheet of newspaper with a red circle on it lining their cage ( some birds dislike certain colors). Changing things in their environment can also trigger issues, whether it’s in their actual cage or just in the room. There is also the possibility of hormones, molting, or injury or illness. Try to really be aware of what’s happening when your bird gets aggressive and see if you can discern a pattern or trigger. Hope things settle down ❤️

OP
A

April12

May 1, 2020
Although Quakers bite, they always have a reason ( even if it’s not obvious ) so if this really just happened out of the blue, I would look for anything that might have triggered it. Did you change your hair, wear a new shirt, have on a hat or glasses etc? My Quaker hates particular patterns on clothes and will get cranky when I’m wearing those shirts. I’ve also heard of Quakers getting upset by something as simple as a sheet of newspaper with a red circle on it lining their cage ( some birds dislike certain colors). Changing things in their environment can also trigger issues, whether it’s in their actual cage or just in the room. There is also the possibility of hormones, molting, or injury or illness. Try to really be aware of what’s happening when your bird gets aggressive and see if you can discern a pattern or trigger. Hope things settle down ❤️
My best guess is a new perfume, I went into the room after putting on a perfume my mom uses all the time and he isn't the biggest fan of her so maybe thats what triggered him

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
My best guess is a new perfume, I went into the room after putting on a perfume my mom uses all the time and he isn't the biggest fan of her so maybe thats what triggered him
That’s a good thought and could very well be the answer. I also want to point out that scented things like perfumes, air fresheners, candles etc, can all be quite toxic to birds. It might be best not to wear perfume around your bird at all.

OP
A

April12

May 1, 2020
That’s a good thought and could very well be the answer. I also want to point out that scented things like perfumes, air fresheners, candles etc, can all be quite toxic to birds. It might be best not to wear perfume around your bird at all.
He continued being aggressive when I came home well after the smell wore of so I don't think that was it sadly.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
He continued being aggressive when I came home well after the smell wore of so I don't think that was it sadly.
Is he continuing to be cranky today? If my Quaker gets angry about something it can take him all day to get over it. They are very opinionated birds, lol!

OP
A

April12

May 1, 2020
Is he continuing to be cranky today? If my Quaker gets angry about something it can take him all day to get over it. They are very opinionated birds, lol!
Yes he was still acting aggressive this morning so I decided to keep him in his cage for today at least. At first he still showed signs of aggression but there was a spot where he let me pet him and get closer without him getting ready to bite.

Most Reactions

Latest posts