Heeellooo!

OP
Y

Yuutachi

Aug 27, 2013
New England
Parrots
Red/Rainbow Lory Hybrid named Rosy, Green Cheek Conure, Named Zuko, as well as a Ducorps Cockatoo named Coco.
Soo. I came home to a new resident! My sister bought a baby Bourke's Parakeet, she's quite the sweetie to! I've kind of fallen in love xD
1175358_343224789147745_959271906_n.jpg

She's has more pink and blue that can be seen in the picture, for some reason the camera didnt catch it

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
<3 Bourkes!!!! She's gorgeous!

I hope she's not clipped! It's amazing when they fly! Just love the sound of it!

OP
Y

Yuutachi

Aug 27, 2013
New England
Parrots
Red/Rainbow Lory Hybrid named Rosy, Green Cheek Conure, Named Zuko, as well as a Ducorps Cockatoo named Coco.
<3 Bourkes!!!! She's gorgeous!

I hope she's not clipped! It's amazing when they fly! Just love the sound of it!

She unfortunately is clipped, but can still fly pretty well, as well as ALL of my birds, I get them clipped and yet they can still fly :I

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
welcome to the forum. We find that if you clip, it's better not make a big deal about it. personally i have both, it depends on the situation. This forum is pretty cool but on some forums you shouldn't say things like'"i Clip". Just trying to help you out . Hope you can enjoy our great forum.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
They're both spectacular. Your green cheek has gorgeous coloring. You definately have your hands full with those cuddle junkies! :)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
That makes me sad. :( Of all parrots, I do not feel that grass parakeets (which bourkes can be considered as one) should be clipped. I find that they are a lot like finches in that they fly to get around - they don't climb. I've had up to 5 bourkes (a family), and now only have one. I never once saw any of them climb. They might have clung to the cage bars, but never actually climbed them.... and the reason they were on the bars was because they flew to them.

So, to me, clipping a bourke parakeet is the same as clipping a finch or a canary. I do not agree with it. And they are such gentle and charming birds, clipping them seems completely wrong!

It's not so bad for other parrot species that actually do use their beaks to climb around (i.e. conures, macaws, cockatoos, budgies, cockatiels, etc). I really hope you would reconsider having her clipped in the future.

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
What an amazing bird the Ducorps is! We don't have them in Oz as far as I know. We hope to have some hand-raised Bourke's soon, Rosa hen on 4 eggs (her first time) but don't know if they're fertile. There are two cocks- tried separating them but they became distressed despite the fact they squabble around the nesting box. And I don't know which one's "daddy" anyway:) I agree about not trimming their wings- I've never seen them climb even in a smallish cage.

As an aside, I've seen flocks of Bourke's in the thousands out in the desert near the WA/NT border. They'd come in for water, there was a trough with a ballcock valve and they'd take turns around it- always sunset/sunrise. Later in the day it was the turn of the camels:)

SpeedFreak01

Sep 5, 2013
London
Parrots
Rex, a Green Cheek conure.
Welcome to the forum! Your birds are positively adorable, and Zuko is a great name for a parrot. XD

OP
Y

Yuutachi

Aug 27, 2013
New England
Parrots
That makes me sad. :( Of all parrots, I do not feel that grass parakeets (which bourkes can be considered as one) should be clipped. I find that they are a lot like finches in that they fly to get around - they don't climb. I've had up to 5 bourkes (a family), and now only have one. I never once saw any of them climb. They might have clung to the cage bars, but never actually climbed them.... and the reason they were on the bars was because they flew to them.

So, to me, clipping a bourke parakeet is the same as clipping a finch or a canary. I do not agree with it. And they are such gentle and charming birds, clipping them seems completely wrong!

It's not so bad for other parrot species that actually do use their beaks to climb around (i.e. conures, macaws, cockatoos, budgies, cockatiels, etc). I really hope you would reconsider having her clipped in the future.

It wasn't entirely up to us, We had bought her from a pet store who had already clipped them. As well as all of our birds actually, the only time they have been clipped was before purchase, Coco; Our Ducorps, was clipped before purchase by the pet store about two months ago, and Zuko has not been clipped since before purchase in April.

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Yuutachi, I figured as much.... I'm just hoping that once she grows out her flights that you wont reclip her, and will allow her flight.

MissTaz

May 11, 2013
Utah
Parrots
Rory ~ A male turquoise green cheek conure ~ Hatched 02-12-2013
Super cute babies! Welcome to this amazing forum

OP
Y

Yuutachi

Aug 27, 2013
New England
Parrots
Yuutachi, I figured as much.... I'm just hoping that once she grows out her flights that you wont reclip her, and will allow her flight.

I have no plans on ever bringing her to be clipped, as well as I told my sister that she shouldn't, but it is her decision.

Most Reactions