Hehe, Regurgitating on me?

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Kakariki (Kirby) Cockatiel (Shiro) Jenday Conure (Jojo)
Today Kirby was on the side of his cage, trying to get out. I had just let him out so I just put my finger up to him. He did a little head bob and a "hick" noise and regurgitated his pellets on my finger! He did this for a while until I left. What exactly does this mean? Does it just mean he things im his mate? I thought it was kinda cute he thought I was his partner XD Its a bit gross but I dont really mind, it literally looks like you mushed up his food a bit.
Edit: Oh, and how long does this last?

Last edited:

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
It usually is an indication of mate feeding (if only perceived), and cute or not, it should be discouraged, because it will only continue to frustrate Kirby.....unrequited love & all.....

OP
happycat

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
It usually is an indication of mate feeding (if only perceived), and cute or not, it should be discouraged, because it will only continue to frustrate Kirby.....unrequited love & all.....
Ahh, I see. XD
How do I discourage it? Ive never had to discourage something for him, the whole reward birds when they are good, ignore when bad thing. Should I just ignore him? He keeps trying to grab at me with his feet and then does the head bob but I just move my hand away.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
The couple of times I've had this problem, I would just pick them up, put them on a playstand & wiggle one of their bells or I'd put them in their cage, (with door open) and walk away.....whatever you do, quit touching him anywhere except his head/neck only...stroking/petting anywhere else on their body is reserved for a mate.....

OP
happycat

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
The couple of times I've had this problem, I would just pick them up, put them on a playstand & wiggle one of their bells or I'd put them in their cage, (with door open) and walk away.....whatever you do, quit touching him anywhere except his head/neck only...stroking/petting anywhere else on their body is reserved for a mate.....
Thanks for the help.
I rarely pet him, ever. And ive never been able to pet him with my hands. He dosent like when hands are over him so sometimes I just pet him on his back for a few seconds. I guess I should stop that.

Most Reactions