Hello; All about Dewy:)

Dewy78

Jan 7, 2011
:grey:Hello I am a new parent to a rehomed african grey; she is 18 yrs old I havn't had her that long maybe 2 weeks, she lived in a tiny cage no toys or treats; So my question is how do I go about gaining her trust? When I am near to change her food and water she bites? I ask her if I can scratch her head she leaves and hides in the cage, should I just leave her alone and give her space she will not let me get close to her at all;:confused:

Cowtown

Aug 4, 2010
Media
Great State of Texas
Parrots
Abby 2 year old Female Eclectus & Solomon 12 year old Male CAG & Dickens 4 year old CAG.
thank you for taking Dewy in. If she is 18 years old and has been treated badly then it will take a lot of time for her to build up trust.
1st of all I assume that you have her in a new larger cage?
You must give her time to adjust to the new home... all is strange..
cage, surroundings, sounds, you and toys.

I would put a chair next to her cage sit there and talk to here, read a book out loud just so she can get use to you.
Does she talk?
I would offer her a treat when she responds in a positive way to you.
How many in your family?
Any children?
Dogs, cats or other birds?

She will have to adjust to everything.
Just be patience and She should come around. Greys are great Fids..
Ask Ant, and Spiritbird and Graycloud, they are guardians for Greys.

I hope this helps...

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Hi there and we are happy to have you and Dewy join our forum. One of the first things to do is not much direct eye contact in the beginning. Norf has given you very good suggestions also. Be soft spoken and gentle. Poorly treated birds will in time adjust to the new environment in a very posative way. If you have not already an avain vet should do an examination. You can begin your interactions as Norf stated just sing or read from a book by the cage with little direct eye contact. Make it inviting for him to want to come out of the cage. Have treats nearby. I would not attempt too much from your hands being inside the cage because he will defend with a bite. Offer warm, soft foods just like with a baby bird. You will be able to tell alot about the bird while you watch the avain vet do the exam. We are here to help you along the way. Thanks so much for taking this bird in. I am adopting a little Quaker soon and will be going through what you are doing. If you have other birds the new bird will need a quaranteen for at least a month.

OP
Dewy78

Dewy78

Jan 7, 2011
Thank you everyone, I think shes coming along she has started to let me rub her head.When we leave the room she talks alot, is this normal, I was told that you would put the bird in a room by there self if you want them to talk, I don't think thats true? A friend of mine had said this when you don't want the bird to talk then keep it in the same room with you? Thanks Again.Andrea

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hi Andrea, proud of you for taking Dewy in, offering her a better life.

To gain your trust could take days, weeks, months even years. Each and every bird is so different. Dewy is obviously set in her ways, give her as much time to settle down, get used to everyone and the new environment.
Sit near the cage, talking and singing to Dewy. Let her become familiar with your voice. Leaving the cage door open, offer her treats through the bars at first. When she willingly accepts them, try placing a treat near the open door. Eventually she will starts taking the treats from the door, make no attempt to touch her. When she does come out, she will probably climb around on the cage. Let her explore in her own time. To get her back in, place a treat inside the cage, making sure it's visible.

As for the talking question talk talk talk and talk as much as you can to the bird.

Whenever you are near Dewy, even in another room talk continuously 24/7.

Even if a bird is not talking yet, remember they hear and absorb each and every word, storing it, never forgetting what they have heard.

Below is a link, which I am sure you will find most helpful pertaining to teaching a bird to talk.

Training your bird to talk

Good luck and REMEMBER TALK TALK TALK TALK TALK

Last edited:

Most Reactions