Hello all!

JessH

Nov 3, 2010
Hello all! I'm new to the forums, if not necessarily to birds. I had, until a year ago, a little Caique named Buster that the ex took in the split. :( Before that I had helped my sister tame down a sun conure (where I now go to get my playful bird fix). So while I don't have a ton of hands-on experience (only had my Buster for 2 years before things went sour and the conure was a bouncy happy thing within a month), I'm not quite new to birds.

I've been thinking about a bird to add to my own personal flock (no more Busters' to give up - he was happier with the ex but I'd have liked visiting rights *sad sniff*). I've been eying a Timneh Grey at a pet store that outlived its previous owner and could be, if one believes the varying reports from staff, over 50 years old. They also have a Congo that's 7 or 9 years that looks lovely but is $300 more. Truth be told though? I really want to give the Timneh a better home than it has now, I just don't know what I'd need for an older bird. So, we'll have to see.

Anyway, hi y'all and hope to get to know everyone more!

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
hi jess! let us know if you decide to get the grey and post some pics! i bet she's missing her 'mum' and the home life.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
My Rosie is a TAG and she is the sweetest thing there is. The Timmies are so so easy to train and care for. You can't go wrong!!

Last edited:
OP
J

JessH

Nov 3, 2010
Thanks for the warm welcome. :) I've been considering a Grey for a while and am particularly drawn to Timneh's, but I worry this one may be too much for a relative newbie. Talked with another associate yesterday who said the bird was over 40 and likely wild-caught although they can't be sure. The previous owner changed her food and water but had little interaction otherwise so it's very much not hand tame. Right now she's living in a fairly small cage in a dark corner with only two untouched toys, very dark and broody. I've always enjoyed "projects" but I worry I may be biting off more than I know how to chew if I go this route.

The little Congo was a sweetheart yesterday, let me give him skritches yesterday, so I don't know. I'd rather rescue an adult than get a baby despite it being "easier" getting it young. Really hard to decide but I'm going to take my time.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Hi Jess and welcome to the forum, Kudos to you for doing your research and making an informed decision on choosing your next fid (fid=feathered kid), as mentioned both species of african grey's, CAG's and TAG's are wonderful companion birds, I just adopted a 17+ year old CAG myself and have no regrets, in fact there's no better feeling than giving a bird a second chance at a better life, good luck on your decision, and enjoy your stay, let us know how it goes :)

A bit worse for wear at the moment as she's a bit plucked, but here's my Ashley

bobby34231-albums-ashley-cag-picture1173-001.jpg

Last edited:

parrotcraze

Nov 6, 2010
RI
Parrots
African Grey
Green cheek
Patagonian
Caique
This my first post but I couldn't resist when I read your post. It made me smile, because I can relate. I adopted my first CAG almost 2 yrs ago now. I am his 3rd owner and he is 14 yrs old. I had never owned a large bird before, so it took both of us quite a while to fully trust each other (I think I was just as afraid of him as he was of me-LOL), but I am as bonded to him now as he is to me, and we both have better lives now being together. Adopting an older bird does often mean more patience in the bonding and trust building process, but an older bird can become just as bonded to you as a baby with time. Although I did not plan to adopt a second CAG, I have been watching an older (probably 30 yrs or more) and very plucked CAG that someone else had that I felt deserved a better life even though he does not talk and is more reserved. His prior owner agreed to let me adopt him only a couple months ago, and I have had no regrets. It makes me very happy to know I have the honor of being his caregiver, and doing what I can to make him happy. The greys are a big commitment because they are sooooo smart, and very interestingly dynamic as they grow and change like a child in some ways, but I can't imagine going back to not having one. However, I also own a younger Caique, and I have to say, he certainly is full of fun and personality, and I enjoy him for his perks and character as well, so hopefully whatever bird you chose to adopt there will be a good fit. Good luck and I'm sure I won't be the only one waiting to hear what decision you make!

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
First of all, welcome! Second, I strongly believe in following one's heart and not "settling". I also believe in love at first sight so if you feel a connection with the little Timmy, go for it. I bet a little love and attention goes a long way.

Birdzhaven

Oct 30, 2010
Media
Dallas, TX
Parrots
B&G Macaw, African Grey Congos, Timnehs, Brown-necks, Meyers, DYH Amazon... :-)
Welcome! I am a new member as well! I really enjoy the forum as there are a lot of knowledgeable people and I have learned a lot already!
Both of your rescue options are attractive! My wife and I rescued a Timneh named "Romeo" a couple of years back and he is adorable!

Most Reactions