hello everyone

Mindblinder

May 5, 2016
central illinois
Parrots
Capone
black capped conure
I have a black capped conure named capone who will be a year old later this month. I have had him since last november. I refer to him as him but have not had him sexed yet. Had planned to do that at the first vet visit but his wings had been clipped so severely that i had to have x-rays which showed a bone had been clipped, had to have his band removed because he dropped like a rock when he would fall and was causing him problems in his hip and ankle. so sexing had to wait. Glad to say his doing really well and is starting to get in some flight feathers. I am currently harness training him so that he can become fully flighted.
I am considering getting a jen day conure but am not sure if this would be a good idea or not and would apprecitate opinions. my biggest concern is that the jen day is quite a bit bigger than capone. I would cage them seperately. thanks for any advice.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Hello and welcome!

I'm happy to hear Capone is recovering from his wing injury, I'm sorry that happened. Best of luck with the flying and harness training.

I'll let some of our conure parronts answer your question about adding a Jenday to your family.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forum, clever name for a Conure!!

I too am unfamiliar with the species, so hopefully others can give you sage advice!!

Dec 14, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P Kiwiberry, GCC.
Welcome to the forums :) Wow, how'd that happen with the bird?
About getting a jenday, like Flboy said, they could be best buds, or they could hate each other, there's no real surefire way to know beforehand, just keep them supervised and introduce them to each other slowly.
Don't rush this decision though, better to wait and think about it for a while first.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Hi welcome to the forum! We'd love to see pics and hear more about Capone. Black Capped are such cute little guys.

Of course, there is no guarantee any bird will get along with another regardless of size, so I'd get another bird based on what 'you' want for yourself. Introduce slowly, and with Capone being young still and both would be conures you might have a good chance of it working out.

Although this doesn't always happen, I have 2 of my boys of completely unrelated species who are a bonded 'pair'. Raven is over twice Griffin's size and weight, but he is so gentle with Griffin. Griffin is the feisty one of the couple, but it's safe. Especially since when they have inside cage time, they have their own space to go to.

OP
M

Mindblinder

May 5, 2016
central illinois
Parrots
Capone
black capped conure
thanks to all who welcomed me! I will try and get some photos of capone uploaded soon. this is the first forum i have ever become part of so i am still trying to figure things out. lol capone could probably figure it out quicker than me!!!

Most Reactions