Hello from a South Florida newbie!

Sheryl

Apr 1, 2014
Seabrook, Texas
Parrots
Beeper CAG, Maui Lu B&G, Mi Hijo GW
and Bergie my little BFA in Rainbow Bridge
Welcome. And it looks like a consensus -- we love the name! Little Poptart. How cute is that!!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Cinnamon Pearl Pied - 3 Mutations, not 2 :)

Using Susanne Russo's (Just Cockatiels & Mousebirds & More) photos, here are photos of normal grey cockatiels.

2551924_orig.jpg

Since Poptart's grey feathers are not as dark as a normal grey, we can safely assume that she has a dilute mutation. Cinnamon is the most common out there and is like a normal grey but only lighter. Chicks are born with ruby red eyes that darken as they mature. Some cinnamons may be a lighter grey while others may actually have a brown wash to their feathers.

6274218_orig.jpg

Poptart's back feathers are both grey and clear. Well, more like clear with grey outlines. This is an indication of the pearl mutation. Visual male and female pearls are born looking the same, but males, as they mature, will lose their pearls and look like normal males. (some exceptions out there! particularly in pied birds!)

5520352_orig.jpg

Although the patterns of pearls can vary.

884256_orig.jpg

However, Poptart also has competely clear feathers (stomach, back and tail?). This is an indication of the pied mutation. Pied feathers will be yellow (or white, in whiteface birds) and will have no patterns on them.

6639038_orig.jpg

3052143_orig.jpg

If you want to learn more about the mutations with wonderful descriptions of them, Susanne Russo's website is great for that! :D

OP
hgr1374

hgr1374

May 6, 2014
South Florida
Parrots
A cockatiel named Poptart
That is amazing!! I am so curious how poptart will look like when he/she gets older..It is amazing all the colors they can have, They are beautiful :)

songlake

Mar 25, 2014
Florida
Parrots
2 moustached parakeets, 2 Sun conures, 20 cockatiels, 11 English budgies
Oh my Poptart is a real cutie! I have to say after seeing some of these fancy colors I'm liking cockatiels more and more :) You didn't by chance get Poptart and sunshine flea market did you? That's where I found my Spikey.

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
Congrats on the new baby! Poptart is a fantastic name! He/she is very beautiful too. :)

Most Reactions