Hello from Alaska

FunnyFarmAK

Dec 9, 2013
We live outside of Haines, Alaska at the far north
Parrots
I currently have a B&G Macaw, a Harliquin Macaw, a Goffins cockatoo, a sulphur crested cockatoo, a scrappy head, and 2 Congo African Greys
Hello from Haines Alaska. Heidi and I own/operate a lodge in Southeast Alaska and are the proud parronts of an African Grey "Mazy" for 22 years, a 12 year old rescued B&G Macaw, "Large Marge" 2 years ago, and our newest rescue is 4 year old "Denali" a goffins cockatoo. We live remote and must rely on ourselves and forums with parrot savvy people for help and advice. We have no vets here, but can access in emergency. We are fortunate to have a licensed falconer living down the road, who has been our savior more than once. Our home/lodge burnt down in 2012 and we have rebuilt with family and birds in mind. We have a special bird area where all reside and are going to be expanding it to provide an aviary life as opposed to living in their cages. Our birds spend all day out of their cages and have 3 floors of rails to roam which they think were built for them. We are interested in giving them a more natural lifestyle, creating more challenges in play and forging. We are sympathetic to birds in need of rehoming as 2 of ours are, and with this avairy expansion will be looking to expand our flock for birds who need a good home as well as provide our existing birds with more companionship and varied flock. We really think Marge would like a friend so we'll be looking at macaws that need some lovin. We are home all day every day and are fortunate to derive our income to allow as such. So our birds are getting attention 24/7. We often end up fostering birds as we live a few miles from the Canadian border and often birds are turned away for lack of proper paperwork, so we ease the parronts and give their birds a good home until they can complete their trip. The border keeps our number on their wall,, lol
We are looking forward to meeting you all and receiving your expertise and experiences as well as sharing what we know about our feathered friends. Look forward to hearing from you and any ideas about birds who are in need. We have transported birds from Oregon and Washington to Alaska, and it is a very safe, warm, caring trip they receive. We would rehome any birds here in Alaska but there are not many and Anchorage is further than the state of Washington for us.
Thank you for this forum and well wishes to you and your feathered family
Please see who we are on our web page : www.funnyfarmak.com or find our Facebook page "Funny Farm AK"
Bruce & Heidi

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hi and welcome! I checked out your Facebook page and where you live is absolutely stunning! Your birds are gorgeous as well:)

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
G'day! Great flock, liked your FB page but couldn't load your website. Looks beautiful where you live, too cold for me even though putting up with sub-tropical heat in outback Oz :)

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
The link didn't work for me :(

Welcome to the forum! Lots of amazing people here, sounds like you have a good amount of experience and will be a great addition to the forum :D

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
G'day from me too! Hope you enjoy it here and post often, especially pics of your birds. :)

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
Hello fellow Alaskan!
Beautiful birds you've got there.

How's the weather been? Here in the interior it's like... 27F... I'm in paradise.. :eek:

TessieB

Nov 3, 2013
Media
Upstate, South Carolina
Parrots
1 Blue Front Amazon, 1 Yellow Head Amazon, 4 Cockatiels, 2 Parakeets
Hello! I can imagine parrots are a welcome respite from the harsh winter of Alaska.

Couldn't get your link to work.

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots
White Face Cinnamon Pearl Pied Cockatiel - "Muffin"

Hatch Date: October 4th, 2013
RIP July 4, 2014
Welcome! I wish I lived in AK, I hate hot weather. The summers where I live are brutal, but at least it's 10 F here today. :)

Nice birdies you have there.

OP
FunnyFarmAK

FunnyFarmAK

Dec 9, 2013
Parrots
I currently have a B&G Macaw, a Harliquin Macaw, a Goffins cockatoo, a sulphur crested cockatoo, a scrappy head, and 2 Congo African Greys
Thanks everybody. Our web page is new and we're working the glitches. Our Facebook has about the same things on it. SpotsandSally, where in the interior are you?

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
We're in Ester-Fairbanks-Northpole type of area. It got a bit colder last night (lots of wind and fallen trees, too) but still awfully warm for this time of year..

JadeC

Apr 27, 2013
Seattle, WA
Parrots
White bellied caique
Welcome!! Alaska? Wow!!! It seems like nobody in colder areas have birds. It's rare to find birds in WA!! I mean, there's a bird community here but not like how it was in Texas or Florida. Kudos to you!!

OP
FunnyFarmAK

FunnyFarmAK

Dec 9, 2013
Parrots
great to hear from a fellow Alaskan bird lover and others from down south. It is different keeping tropical birds in biting cold weather. In Fairbanks where Spotsandsally are it goes to -50F often and bloing, where we may ge -20F for a wek or two the whole winter, but we get ll the snow and average 15F in winters. We just rebuilt so no drafts to worry about for the birds one of the biggest things to be careful of in Alaska. We're enjoying the site and leaning and sharing.

Most Reactions