Hello from New Grey owner!

Beemer

Mar 25, 2012
Hello, my name is Savannah, I just adopted (2 days ago) a 10 year old African Grey (Congo) from an old woman who could no longer care for him. His name is Beemer! He has some issues, was eating cheap walmart seed and has some plucking and his feather are a bit mangled looking. I am looking to be the best Parrot owner I can be for my new family member! He is transitioning to ZuPreem parrot food and is getting a cleaner environment. Any advice for a first-time parrot owner would be great!:grey:

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Welcome to the forum!

I adopted a 29 year old amazon in November who was also eating Walmart seed. You might want to see if you can get Beemer to eat Harrison's High Potency as that is a very good diet for Greys. Zupreem isn't horrible, but for Greys the Harrison's would probably be better. Also give him fresh fruits and veggies. He can also have pasta (no cream sauces), rice, bread, cereal and chicken/turkey.

I should add unsweetened cereal. And whole grains are better than white rice or bread.

If you have questions, there are lots of helpful people here.

Last edited:

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
Welcome to the forum, I don't own a grey so I cant help with that part.

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
Welcome! I just adopted an 11 year old Grey from a rescue in January. I agree with roxy, I have both my birds on harrisons. Aviglow is also beneficial to greys.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
The High Potency Harrison's I guess has the extra calcium and other things that benefit Greys more so than other birds I guess. My amazon is on it, too, at least for now as he builds up the nutrition he was lacking. I may put him on the regular Lifetime Course though after the 6 months of the HP. He is a bit overweight so that might be best for him.

Sulphiria

Banned
Banned
Mar 12, 2012
Deltona, Florida
Welcome. I found our grey loooooves cooked chicken bones. He will sit and savor one for hours digging deep to eat the marrow :) they are amazing birds.

Towee

Mar 11, 2012
NY
Parrots
African Grey
Senegal
WB Caique
Lovebird
Hi! Congrats, Greys are amazing birds. Our Grey, Arie, loves her Zupreem. She likes certain colors, always eats and red and orange 1st. Another good pellet to try is Roudybush. All my birds like Roudybush. I've tried Harrisons and none of them would eat it. Nutriberries are another good food to try to switch them off seed.
Leah

Most Reactions