Hello from New Hampshire!

Maineiacjay

Nov 11, 2013
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
Hahns Macaw (Berlin), Sun Conure (Skittles), RIP Connor (Black Cap Conure)
Hello all! Im brand new to the forum so i thought id come and introduce myself. My name is Jaymie, Im 21 and have owned birds for only a couple of years. Ive always loved animals and love experiencing different species. ive owned ferrets, cats, dogs, a variety of rodents, fish, snakes... currently, i have 2 birds, 2 dogs, 3 cats, a turtle, a chinchilla and a bunch of fish.

it was a friend who first got me interested in birds and it wasnt until i found a Black Cap Conure at a pet shop that i caved and bought him. it was all over then! I named him Connor and he was so wonderful, playful, happy, generally quiet. he learned tricks pretty quickly, anything for a sunflower seed.

about a year later, my then fiance bought me a Sun Conure that i fell in love with and whom i named Skittles. she is a female, very friendly and very talkative. she learned "Hello" "Thank You" and "Hi" in her first few months. she also now knows "Out" and can bark like a dog and dances very well!

about 6 months after getting Skittles, My then fiance and I moved into a new house together and the birds got their very own room! i bird proofed and stopped clipping their wings, letting them fly from one play area to another easily. after some time, i even foolishly stopped locking their cages, since they went to bed themselves in their correct cages and never made trouble.

tragically, about 2 months ago, i came out of the bedroom one morning to my rottweiler outside of her crate, and lots of green feathers on the floor :( some time during the night, Connor, for whatever reason, decided to squeeze under a very tight space under the door the same night that my rottie decided she didnt want to be in her crate. i was terribly upset at my ignorance. i blocked the gap under the door, started locking Skittles' cage every night and used clips on my rotties crate door so she could no longer escape.

after Connor died, it felt so different, not having 2 birds. it was quiet, Skittles wasnt as active, not as talkative. it was a sad time. after making sure no more accidents could happen, i started looking for another bird to fill the void. none could replace Connor, but i hoped that maybe i could find a nice bird to give Skittles back her companion and make her more active and happy again. i looked around at the different pet shops in the area and came across a pretty little Hahns Macaw at a mom and pop pet shop. all their birds are hand raised and kept in open pens and get a ton of interaction. this bird was only a tad larger than skittles and was so cute! she loved to dance! since she was in with other birds, it was also more likely that she wouldnt have a problem with Skittles. her price was $800 but since the owners know us, they gave her to us for $700.

I named her Berlin =) she and skittles have really hit it off, they preen eachother all the time and Berlin simply cant be without Skittles for even a couple of minutes before she starts yelling. Because Skittles wings arent clipped and hers are, poor Berlin is pretty often left behind when Skittles has enough of a particular play area and we are constantly bringing Berlin to wherever Skittles went. its pretty amazing how much they like eachother after just a short time together.

well, i think that will do for an introduction for now! ill leave you all with a photo of my featherbabies

RIP Connor
561791_2520626992644_505722933_n.jpg

Berlin and Skittles :green2::orange:
996639_3662813426591_2142117125_n.jpg

BruceV

Oct 20, 2013
S.E. Michigan
Parrots
Simba (Blue & Gold Macaw); Cosmo (Blue Quaker); Blue (Blue IRN); Mattie (Green Quaker)
Welcome to the forums! So sorry for the tragic loss of Connor. :( Skittles is a beauty! And it looks like she and Berlin (also a beauty) are best buds.

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Awwwwww. Berlin and Skittles are so cute together. So sorry to hear about your tragic loss of Connor. It sounds like you are part of a nice happy flock again.

OP
M

Maineiacjay

Nov 11, 2013
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
Hahns Macaw (Berlin), Sun Conure (Skittles), RIP Connor (Black Cap Conure)
thank you all for your welcomes and your condolences <3

Most Reactions