Hello I have a parrotlet 4 months old. I am concerned about her beak. As you can see

dexterlancer

May 8, 2015
Hello

I have a parrotlet 4 months old. I am concerned about her beak. As you can see in the photos It is not growing symmetrically. Is this normal?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20150726_185516.jpg
    20150726_185516.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,358
  • 20150726_185529.jpg
    20150726_185529.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 1,912
  • 20150726_185538.jpg
    20150726_185538.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,493
Last edited:

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
BCC-Ellie House Sparrow-Napolean Parakeet-Bean
I can't see your pics.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
looks like her mandible on the left side needs to be trimmed. the right side looks fine from what i can see. She's a lil cutie.... Mine is almost 2.5 years old. Ive had her since she was 8 weeks old.

how long have you had her?
is she beak grinding?
does she have wood and other destructible toys to chew on?
What are you feeding her?

OP
D

dexterlancer

May 8, 2015
I had her since 4 weeks old and had hand fed her.
Sometimes she beak grind but it's not her favorite hobby.
Yes she have wood cubes hanging made from real trees and a ladder also I let it out of the cage lot of the time when I can.
Her main diet is canary mix, sunflower and some pellets. Mostly she eats sunflower.

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
BCC-Ellie House Sparrow-Napolean Parakeet-Bean
You might look at expanding her diet to include lots of fresh foods, especially veggies and fruit.

She's a total cutie, the more I see of parrotlets the more I love them.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
I had her since 4 weeks old and had hand fed her.
Sometimes she beak grind but it's not her favorite hobby.
Yes she have wood cubes hanging made from real trees and a ladder also I let it out of the cage lot of the time when I can.
Her main diet is canary mix, sunflower and some pellets. Mostly she eats sunflower.

1. The first thing I would do is take her in and get her beak trimmed.

2. While you do that, change her diet... Sunflower seed are okay for training.... otherwise I would omit them from her diet to only a few (2-3) a day. She needs a variety of fresh (or frozen) organic veggies.. and some fruit (daily) There are so many food options out there, GoldenFeast ( I plug them all the time, they are my favorite) has some wonderful varieties of mixes that I know your P'let would just love... the Australian blend being one of them. Another good food is Volkman's Featherglow 15 soak and serve.... I make a little up for kiwi everyday. She loves it. Chia seeds are great to add to veggies. Sprinkle some on some fresh broccoli and see what happens.

3. Pellets are good, depending on what kind you are feeding her. I prefer a human grade like Goldenfeast or Harrisons. But pellets should not be the main course. They can be hard on a P'lets kidneys.

4. Natural branches are great for chewing, but you have to know where they are coming from. If you know that they are safe, then go for it.

5. She may not be grinding her beak because she needs it trimmed. They grind there beaks when they are content and especially at night before going to sleep to get it ready for the next days, eating and playing excursion.

6. Try and get her out of her cage as much as possible during the day. Have parrot safe areas she is allowed to hang out on. If you need ideas let me know.

I hope this helps... good luck, let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Hello

I have a parrotlet 4 months old. I am concerned about her beak. As you can see in the photos It is not growing symmetrically. Is this normal?

Thanks

I also noticed that her left nare compared to the right one seems to be a little swollen or irritated? are these recent photos?

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Could I trim her beak myself?

No! unless you have experience in beak trimming, please don't try and do this yourself. Do you have an avian vet or a bird store near you? Take her to one of these. You can do more damage by trying to do it yourself. Not to mention, breaking the trust she has in you.

After her beak is trimmed and you have her on a better diet, it shouldn't need to be trimmed again. She should be able to maintain it herself through diet, play and beak grinding. But with what you are presently feeding her, she may have a vitamin deficiency, causing her beak to grow abnormally. Her left nare is also swollen...

Last edited:

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
No beak trimming can be very dangerous if done wrong. Please get done by an avian vet.

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
What part of the world are you in? We can help you find an avian vet.

Most Reactions