Hello, I'm Coca and I'm 50 years old

Giggleagain

Jul 5, 2014
Media
Missouri
Parrots
All my rescues: Pepita, Rocky and Eva, my Quaker Parrots Clover and Sweet Pea, YNA Willie Buttons, and TAG Coca.
A week ago yesterday I made a long drive to pick up the one African Grey that would complete my family. Coca was born in Africa, caught wild as a baby, sold to someone in Peru, where he lived for 20 years. His family moved to the US in 1985. Coca wears a US quarantine band.

Coca's owner died some 15 years ago and I've been told that he has not had any human interaction other than food and water since then. He was described as a pretty dangerous biter who dislikes women and hates hands. He's old, he bites, he doesn't like to be touched by women, prefers men, and doesn't ever leave his "home". I share all those traits with him, so we're a match made in heaven.

He was given to me in a rather small cage and I was told that's what he is used to. I shouldn't give him a larger cage because the change from the shelter to my home was already big enough, why add stress by giving him a larger cage. He only eats colored Zupreem pellets (do the makers of Zupreem own all shelters?) Hmmmm. So we drove for 4+ hours while sharing apples, pears, and a Micky D's cheeseburger. The closer I got to home, the smaller the cage in my car looked, and by the time I got to 2 miles of my house I just couldn't think of him living in it.

I'm blessed in that I have the greatest bird store very, very close to my house. 20 minutes later we arrived, at home, with small cage left at bird store and large cage in the car. Backing up into the driveway I let out a loud, relieved whistle. Coca copied it exactly. There was absolutely NO bad reaction to the larger cage. A very positive acceptance of the food change, he came out of his cage and went on top of it to his play area, proceeded to make sure I would never again know whether the beeping was the microwave or him, and the only problem we've had is that he won't step up, but fly off the cage to the floor, where I have to towel him to put him back in.

It doesn't matter to me if he never steps up. What matters is that he'll never have to move again. He loves my food, he loves verbal interaction, what more could I want? It's all good!! A BIG THANK YOU to (you know who you are) for encouraging me to adopt Coca. He thanks you too :)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
If he hasn't been handled in that long, he probably doesn't remember how to step up. So, be patient, start from square one, and as you already discovered, pretty much IGNORE everything they told you about the bird...

CAGS get handled on their own terms. Even Tusk occasionally bites.

So don't take that as any indication of anything other than attitude...

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
That's a wonderful story. I'm glad he'll live out his golden years with love, affection, toys, enrichment, proper containment and out time, flock and family, good food, proper health care, and understanding. Looking forward to his metamorphosis into everything a Grey can be given those basic rights. Better update your profile. ;-) Sincere congratulations!

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
Awww sounds like an awesome match, gorgeous! Congratulations!

OP
G

Giggleagain

Jul 5, 2014
Media
Missouri
Parrots
All my rescues: Pepita, Rocky and Eva, my Quaker Parrots Clover and Sweet Pea, YNA Willie Buttons, and TAG Coca.

Taprock

Oct 22, 2015
Northern l.p. Michigan
Parrots
Buzz - CAG,
Ziggy - Nanday/Sun Conure,
Jasper - Goffin
Loki - Starling
Gloria - Foster CAG
I'm excited for you and can't wait to hear more, but I'm even happier for Coca that he found someone to take him even if he's older, grouchy and set in his ways. What a life he's had!

Peppo

Nov 27, 2015
Parrots
Paco-Male Double Yellow Head Amazon
What a happy ending for him! You must be so happy :)

Bandespresso

Dec 22, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Congo African Grey+
Worked closely with many species, birds with behavioral problems, and now birds of prey and other wildlife
Pictures pictures pictures!!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Welcome Coca!!!

What a fantastic addition to your band of lucky birdies! Coca is going to be so happy with you, thank you for giving this guy a better life!

happy410

Jul 23, 2015
ALABAMA
Parrots
Happy, DYH Amazon
Tesla, Blue & Gold Macaw
Sounds like things are going to be great for Coca. Thank you for giving an older bird a home. Can't wait to see pictures.

OP
G

Giggleagain

Jul 5, 2014
Media
Missouri
Parrots
I'm excited for you and can't wait to hear more, but I'm even happier for Coca that he found someone to take him even if he's older, grouchy and set in his ways. What a life he's had!

I just wish I could get into his head and see a movie of his life...!!! It would be SO interesting and would help me to make things right for him!

OP
G

Giggleagain

Jul 5, 2014
Media
Missouri
Parrots

I know, I know, I do know!! It just takes sooo much time uploading from my phone to the computer. 1 minute is valuable time! I will do it, I promise. My phone is out of memory anyway. Next weekend I might be able to spare that minute. Please know that I truly spend every free moment with my birds and my dogs. My cages are squeaky clean every day...that minute will result in a) a half-butt cleaned cage, a couple of blueberries missing from a dish, or who-knows-what-else !

:)

Bandespresso

Dec 22, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Congo African Grey+
Worked closely with many species, birds with behavioral problems, and now birds of prey and other wildlife

I know, I know, I do know!! It just takes sooo much time uploading from my phone to the computer. 1 minute is valuable time! I will do it, I promise. My phone is out of memory anyway. Next weekend I might be able to spare that minute. Please know that I truly spend every free moment with my birds and my dogs. My cages are squeaky clean every day...that minute will result in a) a half-butt cleaned cage, a couple of blueberries missing from a dish, or who-knows-what-else !

:)

Of course! You have a very full plate that is a little bit fuller with your new addition. Take your time :D

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I just wish I could get into his head and see a movie of his life...!!! It would be SO interesting and would help me to make things right for him!

Isn't that the truth?! I think it is wonderful you are giving this magnificent bird a new home. It would be amazing to know what experiences Coca has lived, and just how much recall is possible. We just don't know how memories are sorted and processed in the avian brain, though Greys are legendary for their intellect.

Trust your instincts; Coca will probably guide you if you are sufficiently perceptive - and I am sure you are!!

OP
G

Giggleagain

Jul 5, 2014
Media
Missouri
Parrots
Trust your instincts; Coca will probably guide you if you are sufficiently perceptive - and I am sure you are!!

I just found out that the shelter has the previous owner's information and I would love to be able to talk to him or her in order to get a little more information. What I have is scant, at best. I would be happy if the shelter asked the owner if he would mind calling me. I would never ask for their phone number. I am waiting to hear back from the shelter people, but I am not going to start hoping.

I was promised Coca's medical file (he was thoroughly checked by an avian vet when the shelter took him in - or so they say), but I haven't received anything yet. Not even a copy of the adoption papers :(

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
Good luck with coca! And it brings me to smile thinking about how happy you have made him...and him you.

Staples915

Sep 2, 2015
Florida
Parrots
sun conures , green cheek conures, tiels, dusty conure, parrotletts, and Quakers
Apparently Coco was smarter than the previous owner or caregiver.... he just made that person look silly.... with age comes grumpiness even with us humans... really can you blame him?? Sounds like my husband lmao want to adopt him as well??? kidding i wouldn't love to fool way to much but it is a thought. lol Have fun teaching and learning. Sounds like your off to a wonderful friendship... you are blessed and so is Coco.

Crazy

Dec 25, 2013
Central Florida
Parrots
Buddy ❤️ - Cinnamon Cockatiel (1 y.o)
Sol - Budgie 😋 (17 y.o)
R.I.P. Luna 2002 - 2012 (Budgie) 💖💕
Good luck with Coco and have fun!!! :D

Most Reactions