Hello with a sun conure!

miithu

Jan 7, 2012
Hello! I had a question about my sun conure and looked on the internet for a forum and after perusing some threads, I like that the members of this forum are very active and knowledgeable and so decided to sign up!

I am 21 years old and recent graduate from Minnesota. I am hoping to be a pharmacist and have applied to a few schools for 2012. I got my sun conure last May from an uncle who have had him for about 2 or 3 years. He tells me the bird is about 3 years old. At first I did not want the conure, he was loud and didn't do much, didn't let me touch him, and I had no idea how to interact with him. But, I guess over time he just grew on me and now I just find him so adorable and loveable!

At first he was a bit bitey but was still willing to step up on my dad's finger. He was also a lot friendlier with everyone. He would even readily step on mine and my mom's shoulder and let us walk him around the house. But, for about 2 months now he got aggressive and flies at my mom when she gets near. I am thinking it is probably hormonal. He is still pretty friendly with me, but doesn't like stepping on my shoulder anymore or let me touch him. Hopefully he will become friendly again soon! I really want to be able to cuddle him and pet him! :orange:

Tammy

May 4, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Orange Wing Amazon
During mating season My OWA will actually hunt my mother down to attack her if he even hears her voice. I had to get his wings clipped for her protection. I made the mistake of laughing hysterically when this started happening. Now he'll shake his wings, bob his head & yell "Hurt! Hurt!" whenever he sees her.

Mr. Precious is being very hormonal & unpredictable with his mood swings lately so it's a strong possibility that this is what is happening with yours.

cockatielfan17

Nov 20, 2011
during breedeing season they get very hormonal and aggressive but he will calm down over time dont worry he will be friendly again soon

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Mature companion sun conures can become quite aggressive & territorial. Once they have chosen their favorite person they will rage war on everyone else that are not welcome in the flock.

I think you will find the fact he is feeding his wing & the aggressive behavior are all related. He may or may not stop this aggression. The way i usually deal with flying aggressive suns is to clip their wings. It just helps to control the behavior. Usually when the wings are clipped an out of control sun becomes quite cuddly & loving.

cockatielfan17

Nov 20, 2011
yeah exactly maybe ur sun conure doesnt like u because he probably bonded with the past owner and they are 1 person birds all u could do is wait until its calm again and try to work with her again

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I guess I haven't had a Sun, but I've had a Nanday for 12 years. She is generally pretty friendly with new people once she gets to observe them for a bit to be sure they aren't a danger to me or the other animals. I know she could do well with more than one person.

And yes, birds who were bonded to their previous owners will bond with you. We thought Pete might not like women so that was a bit of a concern with me taking him. But, within 2 days he began bonding with me. Merlin has only been here since last night, but as soon as we got here, and I let her out of the carrier, she gave me a kiss. She has given me several kisses already and offered her head to me for scritches. I know already that once she gets used to her new routine and new flock mates, she will be just fine. In fact I'm going to get her out of the cage shortly to play with her. Sometimes a new bird will want to be in the cage for a couple of days, but I can tell she would like to come out already.

Most Reactions

Latest posts