Hello! Wondering if this is a sun conure or a jenday conure

indra.atmadja

Apr 9, 2017
Hello! I am new to this forum but I need to know whether the conure I have is a sun or a jenday. The seller is saying that it is 3 months old, I named it Sparky. Is it possible to tell whether it is a sun or a jenday?

IMG_5006.JPGIMG_4921.JPGIMG_4887.jpgIMG_4871.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kendar

Mar 17, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
Parrots
1 female green cheek conure (Bailey)
1 female pineapple green cheek conure (Loki)
Looks like a jenday, based on the green all the way up the wings. I could be wrong though

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Hello! At 3 months of age both Sun and Jenday conures look very similar. However, Suns usually will have small bits of yellow coming in the wings, and eventually the green will molt to become mostly all yellow. However this young bird looks like a Jenday, or possibly a Sunday (hybrid between the two) because it has no yellow on the wings -- except on the last picture it looks like a little tiny bit of yellow there, making me think it could be a Sunday, which will look like a mix of the two with some green and some yellow on the wings.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Pretty terrifying that the seller doesn't know which!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Hard to tell at this age. If it's a sun, the yellows and blues will begin to show up at the first molt. If it's a jenday, the wings will remain green...

Same basic personality though, either way...

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I believe it's a jenday, but as already stated he is too young to tell. Did the person that you got him from not know? Was this his breeder? God I hope not, that's a bad sign! And he looks very young, possibly younger than 3 months based on his feathers. Is he eating solid food regularly without any issues?

Just to point something else out to you, it looks like you've got another sun or jenday conure in that small cage that your new baby is crawling on... You're not keeping them in the same cage, are you? If you are you need to separate them immediately, as even if they seem to be getting along alright now you never know when suddenly the first, older bird becomes territorial and attacks the new bird. Also, if that is the cage you're housing them in it looks much too small for one Jenday/Sun Conure, let alone two.

You should have any new bird that you get quarantined from any birds you already have for at least the first 30 days he's in your home to protect your other bird or birds from illness and disease, as it's quite common for baby birds to have bacterial and/or fungal infections. Your new baby should be kept in his own cage in a completely different room from your other birds and they should have absolutely no contact for at least 30 days, as birds instinctively hide any signs of illness, so you have no idea whether your new baby has any current infections that he can spread to your other birds. 30 days is typically enough time for illness to appear in your new baby. I don't know how long you've had him but you should also take any new bird you bring into your home to a certified avian vet in the first couple of weeks you have him, just for a wellness checkup. It not only helps catch any illnesses he may have, but it protects you if God forbid your new baby does become ill and dies in the first month or two that you have him, which is not uncommon. I don't know where you got him (I can't imagine that his breeder wouldn't be able to tell you what species your bird was, lol) but if it was a private party sale he could have come from a bird mill, that's very common, and they often carry diseases/infections.

"Dance like nobody's watching..."

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Good, good advice!

I'm glad you found us, and I'm glad you're reaching out for help.

I'm glad you found us.

BorisPeckerHarve

Feb 8, 2017
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Boris Pecker (Regents Parrot -HD 17/10/2016)
Basil Flighty (Jenny Conure - HD 09/01/2017)
Looks like a Jenday to me. Very similar to my Basil and sun conures would be more yellow by now on the wings

BorisPeckerHarve

Feb 8, 2017
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Boris Pecker (Regents Parrot -HD 17/10/2016)
Basil Flighty (Jenny Conure - HD 09/01/2017)
I can't actually see the orange shoulder feathers Jendays normally have so might be a sun

gavagai

Mar 18, 2017
Capital of Texas
Parrots
Green-cheek conure, Quaker parakeet
I'm in the "probably a 'sunday' hybrid" camp, though I'm not confident enough I'd bet on it. As other people have said, it will be easier to tell when adult plumage comes in, but it also looks a lot like the sun/gold-cap crosses on this breeder's webpage.

OP
I

indra.atmadja

Apr 9, 2017
Hi!

Thank you for all your input. I bought sparky from a pet expo locally. The seller is saying that it is a 100% sun conure. I am just curious because I see sparky as a Jenday. I bought him because of his sweet temperament and very cuddly.

In the picture, there is another one which is Sparky's sibling. It is now in my good friend's hand since he is also wanting a conure for himself.

The cage you see in the picture is a cage that I used for new birds coming in. Right now sparky is in the big cage with a lot of chewing toys :)

Once again thank you for your responses. I still hope sparky is a sun conure. But whatever it might be, my family has already fallen in love with him, so it doesn't really matter anymore.

Indra

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Thanks for the update! Glad to know Sparky is doing well, is social and friendly and has a nice big cage :) We would love to see more pictures of him as he grows!! :)

OP
I

indra.atmadja

Apr 9, 2017
Some updated pic of sparky. In one of the pic you can see also Wasabi! An opaline lovebird. He likes to hang out with sparky!

6e22592f5b316d0ae2f8d6612ae567b9.jpg
5339b2d576924f51194c67d5e5ae5086.jpg

OP
I

indra.atmadja

Apr 9, 2017
Another shot from this morning with darth the cockatiel
200ef5441e6154931856866c3fc19dfc.jpg

MrsBigE

Oct 19, 2016
Media
Pickerington Ohio
Parrots
Sun Conure
Umbrella Cockatoo
This looks just like our Sun did when he first came home. He's at the tail end of his first molt and he still has mostly green wings. He got a lot of the gold and orange after this molt but only spots of it on his wings.
Couldn't Thisbe a young Sun?

OP
I

indra.atmadja

Apr 9, 2017
This looks just like our Sun did when he first came home. He's at the tail end of his first molt and he still has mostly green wings. He got a lot of the gold and orange after this molt but only spots of it on his wings.

Couldn't Thisbe a young Sun?

I still have high hopes that Sparky is a sun conure. The breeder said it is a sun conure. I just had my doubts [emoji38]

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Two Cockatiels: Rascal (Geraldine) and his baby brother named Coconut!
Another shot from this morning with darth the cockatiel
200ef5441e6154931856866c3fc19dfc.jpg

What a beautiful pic of your' tiel and conure out together :D Does your conure get along OK with your tiel? I have 2 tiels and have wanted to get a GCC for a REALLY long time... in the very distant future I would love to get one.

Sparky does indeed resemble a sun conure :)

Last edited:

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
That's a beautiful Opaline Lovebird, he looks to be quite large to me for a Lovebird, maybe it's just the photo...Either way he is gorgeous, you don't see Lovebirds like him very often!

"Dance like nobody's watching..."

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Looks like a Jenday from that angle BUT when they're young they're all or mostly green. You will know for sure at the first molt when the colors change.

At this age it's hard to know for sure. Those could just be "baby greens" or they could be more...

But I've seen suns and jendays mixed up all the time at pet stores, for exactly this reason.

Most Reactions

Latest posts