Hello!

Claudettebillie

May 18, 2013
Maine
Hi everyone! My name is Emilee. I don't have a bird currently, but am interested in getting one, so I'm here to learn more about them. :) I used to have a cockatiel as a child named Mojo, but I don't remember much about him besides the fact that he loved to sit on our arms, and that he used to sing along with the Spongebob theme song, haha!

I'm considering getting a Green Cheek Conure for my next bird, and have lots of questions that I'm sure I'll find the answers to here. :)

I have an 11 year old Bichon Frise named Claudette, an 8 year old cat named Billie, and two 4 year old ferrets named Jasper and Percival.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hi Emilee, and welcome to the forum. :) So glad you found us and joined. We have LOTS of conure lovers/owners/enthusiasts, so please feel free to ask away. :D

I love the names of your pets!!!

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
And pair of African Greys
Welcome. I know nothing about GCC, but I am sure you'll get all the answers from this forum. Good luck

JadeC

Apr 27, 2013
Seattle, WA
Parrots
White bellied caique
Hey welcome to the forum!! :) I LOVE green cheeks and they are a good "starter" bird, even though you've had a bird before. The only thing I'd like to warn you about is that ferrets KILL birds!! My ferret was caught a few times dragging my bird by the throat and almost killed him! Be careful to only let one or the other out at the same time. Ferrets are very sneaky (as I'm sure you know) and they can snatch up a bird out of nowhere!! Don't want your baby getting hurt. :) Good luck!

OP
C

Claudettebillie

May 18, 2013
Maine
Yeah, we have a house full of carnivores, so I'm pretty good at not mixing species. The ferrets stay in my room, which is in the (finished) basement. One of them was raised being fed whole prey, and as a result has a strong jaw, so I don't let him with anyone else besides ferrets. The bird would be in the living room upstairs. :) Frankly, I would trust the cat and dog to a degree, as they would probably be capable of realizing that the bird means something to me, and that they should leave it alone for my sake. The ferrets are just way too nosy to pass up an opportunity for "fun", and wouldn't even consider the fact that the bird might be meaningful.

Do you guys leave your bird(s) out with a cat and/or dog in the house? My cat and dog would probably end up terrified of it, anyway.

I'm still considering a Green Cheek, but now, reading up on Budgies, I'm thinking that they may be better for me. I am a student, I work, and I have the ferrets who suck up about 4 hours a day, so I'd probably have 1-2 hours a day for a bird. Not only that, but a budgie may be easier to transport when I go to college, and will be easier for my parents to watch if I have to stay in the dorms for the first year. :)

OP
C

Claudettebillie

May 18, 2013
Maine
I wasn't meaning like, on the floor with the cat or dog. I guess "out" was the wrong word to describe what I meant, sorry. I mean do you leave the cage out within reach of a cat? (The cage would be on a stand, so the dog wouldn't be able to reach it, anyway.)

When you mean 4 hours, do you mean solely out of the cage, or actually interacting with the bird? I would probably have 2 hours of time to absolutely devote to him, talk, etc., but I'd be able to leave him out for longer periods of time. I would probably be sitting next to him doing homework. Does that count?

Most Reactions

Latest posts