Hello!

Chassy13

Jan 16, 2014
Wisconsin
Hello everyone,

I am an 18 year-old male college student studying Software Engineering living in Wisconsin. I grew up on a farm and around animals, so I have grown to love all sorts and forms of them. I probably bond better with animals than people!

When I was a child I begged and begged my mom for a macaw. At that point, I had no sense of how much responsibility and finance they require, and now I'm kind of thankful she didn't give in. However, even after this, I have fallen in love with Blue & Gold macaws. That is my dream bird. Every single time we visit the zoo in Madison, WI, they have to literally yank me away from watching the macaws.

I don't own any birds, but I do plan on it pretty soon after I move out. I've been doing tons of research on owning birds and preparations you have to take. I joined this forum so I can monitor bird owners and prepare myself through a long amount of time. I think purchasing a bird once I move out would be safest, so then I can ensure we don't have teflon pans and other sources of harm for my bird.

I'm really interested in sun conures, indian ringnecks, and african greys as a starting bird - a little nervous on the african greys. I plan on visiting an aviary or any pet store even to get hands-on experience with birds before I even look to purchase one. Once I gain experience owning one, I'd like to convince my girlfriend to accept a macaw. She has a slight phobia of birds, but I love them. It's not so severe that a bird would break a relationship. I have also caught her saying "Oooh, that bird is pretty." and "Wow! That's interesting!." She sees my passion in owning a bird and she supports me in it. Last night she was trying to help me find aviaries near me. She loves cats but we both agreed that pet hair all over the house is too much.

That is my long-term future plan but of course anything can change. I've been going through stickies looking up information and keeping my eyes on sales and thinking about changes in the future that could affect my birds. I'm trying to plan this way beforehand so I don't get stuck rehoming my best feathery friend.

One question I have pretty unanswered is this: If you introduce another bird to your home, how difficult is it? Is the risk of the parrots fighting continuously high, or is it pretty trainable/easy-going?

Any opinions, suggestions, questions?
Thanks for the welcome!

:blue1:

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Welcome to the forum!!!! Good thing your doing all your research now before getting one. That's a wonderful thing for you to do. But I do have to say sometimes the bird chooses you, even though not the specie you were wanting to have but you ended up with it anyways.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
My personal recommendation. "Starter bird" is nonsense. If you have your heart set on a macaw, then don't do a "starter" bird. Learn about macaw care, handling and training, and get a big mac.

Focus on the bird you actually want, and learn all you can between now and the time you get one.

The "starter bird" always seems to end up losing out in the end...

OP
C

Chassy13

Jan 16, 2014
Wisconsin
My personal recommendation. "Starter bird" is nonsense. If you have your heart set on a macaw, then don't do a "starter" bird. Learn about macaw care, handling and training, and get a big mac.

Focus on the bird you actually want, and learn all you can between now and the time you get one.

The "starter bird" always seems to end up losing out in the end...

I can definitely see your point and I still have a lot of research to do. I don't know much on macaw behavior right now and my main hesitance from jumping into big birds is children. I know and accept that birds will bite, but with a newborn around and then young kids interacting with the birds it makes me a little nervous about bites from a large bird. I also don't have knowledge on the care-level differences between a large bird and something such as a conure. I don't know if jumping to a macaw right away would be a good idea for me, but only future research and hands-on experience can tell. I don't imagine myself stopping care for my first bird if I purchased another - I've never been that way with any pet.

I think the best thing I can do is research specifics on my interest species, and then find out my destiny bird when I can meet them myself. :)

Last edited:

TessieB

Nov 3, 2013
Media
Upstate, South Carolina
Parrots
1 Blue Front Amazon, 1 Yellow Head Amazon, 4 Cockatiels, 2 Parakeets
Howdy! Glad you joined. I like Sun Conures. They may not be good talkers but they pack a lot of personality in those colorful bodies.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello and welcome! I think it's very smart to do a lot of research before becoming a parront. That way you will be prepared for when you feel ready to decide on what to get, and can make an informed decision.
However, I do agree with MikeyTN that sometimes the bird chooses you:)
Best of luck!

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
Porter (Broto); Fuggles(Budgie)
Have you looked into owning a mini mac?

Hans Macaws are amazing birds and a little bit more on the easy to handle size.

There is no such thing as a 'starter bird' but a First bird?

Most bird owners I know have more than one...

Also considering, Conures are known as having the macaw personality. Blue and gold's are gorgeous but if you are leary of the size.. a small Mac might be the better choice.

OP
C

Chassy13

Jan 16, 2014
Wisconsin
I haven't looked into mini macaws very much at all. I think my small phobia of big bird bites transfers from my girlfriend, she's more afraid of it than I am. The stories of a bird beak splitting their lip in two or blood gushing from their arm throws people for a loop. I understand it's a possibility, but it almost applies to the mind as it'll happen every time you pick the bird up...

I would plan on eventually having more than one bird. My terminology of 'starter' was incorrect. :)

I'm just really tossed up on jumping right into a big macaw, more for the sake of my girlfriend and future children than myself. I'd love to own a Blue & Gold macaw, but right now I feel like there is too much to a macaw to plan accurately (more expensive, larger cage --> more space, etc.)

That's why I'm here though. I'm trying to find out just how possible it is for me. I don't doubt the possibility that I'd have my mind set on a bird, go to purchase one, and end up with another!

My girlfriend and I are going to take a stop at a PetSmart or Petco over the weekend and handle some of the birds there as a starter. Then we'll try and find some local aviaries to get some professional information and more experience. A large goal of mine is to get her to be more comfortable around birds in general. If the parrot became comfortable with her, I wouldn't want her to neglect it.

Last edited:

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Welcome Chassy
Great that you are doing loads of research and asking many questions.
Scroll through the forum, many many helpful posts on Macaw's.

Good luck with your choice

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
Porter (Broto); Fuggles(Budgie)
Check out Hans Macaws.. they are in my opinion one of the best types of birds to own.

I fostered one for a while.. a poor abused and neglected little guy called Charlie.

Well acclimated ones are sweet and loving and have ALL the personality of one of the big ones. Think little dog versus big dog.

OP
C

Chassy13

Jan 16, 2014
Wisconsin
I've pretty much narrowed it down between a Sun Conure and a Hahn's. I really really like the coloration of Illiger.

I lean the most due to sun conures being typically easy to handle, and usually to more than one person. I've heard Hahn's are more likely to bond to only one person and be more aggressive toward handling. I'd like the bird to be most likely cuddly and good with handling.

I lean away from how much I hear that the screech of the sun conure is almost unbearable in many cases.

I know none of these are guaranteed, but I'm curious in case it's more popular within one species.

I JUST CAN'T MAKE UP MY MIND BETWEEN THESE TWO!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts