Hello

KiwiPlusUs1025

Feb 23, 2014
South Florida
Parrots
Yellow Side Green Check Conure
Hello everyone,

My name is Stephanie and my feather baby is Kiwi. Kiwi is a yellow-sided GCC, she is about 9 months old. She has been part of my family for 7 months. I am completely in love with her. Lol I have done a lot of research on how to train and care for GCC. I have a lot of questions that I hope some of you could help me with. I am so happy that I found this forum while doing research. :)

She was around 6 weeks old when she came home. She was a little nippy but from the research I did before picking her it was normal. She got better in the following months. Lately she has been biting and getting a bit of an attitude. We have not changed anything in her schedule. Not sure why she is acting out. What can I do to get her to stop biting?

I see a lot of GCC on youtube and Instagram that love to cuddle and get head rub. Don't get me wrong she LOVES being around us and we take her every where with us (around the house) but it's not the same.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
First welcome to the forum:)

Second welcome to the hormones:54:

Your girl is around a year which is in the maturity age range for a GCC. Her hormones will go crazy through this period. The hormones will never go away from this point. You just have to learn and work around her behavior. No cuddling that can trigger a reaction this will be a trial and error period. You will have to be extra careful about how you handle and read her body language. And then you have to think about how you are interacting with her. Are you doing something, are you interacting with her somewhere that can trigger her, is it something you are wearing, something she sees or heard.... Once the hormones hit it can be tuff to deal with them sometimes! You can also do some training with her to get her to focus and burn off some energy! Foraging toys also help. Make sure there isn't something that can make her think of nesting!

(If this sounds familiar its because I basically copied and pasted what I wrote in a cockatoo thread;))

Edit: Of course it could be something that changed and you just don't realize it has changed! Like a new hat or you are no longer wearing something and she is biting now. They can act weird about the strangest of things! It sounds like hormones but of course it could be something small that is setting her off that you don't immediately think could be the problem. Just wanted to mention that it could be something else besides hormones:)

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Welcome to the forum and listen to Riddick about the hormones! I don't think a lot of first time owners realize parrots go through puberty or that the change from juvenile to sexually mature adult can be as drastic as it is. All of us deal with it, and they KEY to a good relationship with your bird is to understand their natural behavior. Sexual/hormonal issues are highly misunderstood and are a MAJOR reason people have difficulties with their birds. I find this to be a very thorough and informative article addressing the issues you are experiencing with (your) Kiwi (I also have a Kiwi :D) HORMONES: The Downside of the Good Life - Phoenix Landing Blog ? Phoenix Landing Blog

And don't worry, you aren't alone here. The entire bird community in the Northern hemisphere is dealing with the same issues you are:52: (and don't you laugh over there on the other side of the planet, you'll be getting yours come our autumn lol)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Welcome to the forum!!! Your question have been answered above already, hope all is well! :)

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Welcome, and welcome! I second what Riddick07 said: My White Eared Conure(Also named Kiwi.. hehe :D ) is a bit over a year old, my boyfriend and I have had her since she was about 3 months old, and now that winter is ending, if my boyfriend isn't wearing his beanie then she runs from him and bites! But when he wears the hat she's sweet and cuddly.. hehe. Silly creatures. Best of luck with your very own Kiwi!!

OP
KiwiPlusUs1025

KiwiPlusUs1025

Feb 23, 2014
South Florida
Parrots
Yellow Side Green Check Conure
Thank you. lol Today she is being sweet, letting me kiss her and hold her upside down in my hand. (which she "sometimes" love) I will keep that in mind. :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello and welcome! Kiwi is a beautiful girl:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts