Hello! :)

Saiori

Aug 7, 2014
Wisconsin, USA
Parrots
Parakeet
A little background about myself and Barriston: I'm a college student about to enter my senior year and hoping to graduate next May. I'm a biology major and am pursuing a career in wildlife rehabilitation. I am currently doing an internship for an avian rehabilitation center and that is where I met Barry. :)
During my first month as an intern, we received a call late one evening about a parakeet that had hit a family's window and they didn't want him. In face they even said they would kill him if no one would take him. There was no way we were going to let that happen so me and another intern hopped in my car and picked up the bird. Once back to the center, Barry had obvious bruises on his feet and my director said she thought it was from someone cutting off his ID band. Apparently it wasn't an accident that he was outside and running into Windows.
My director kept him at her house for a few day to make sure he was alright and didn't have any neurological problems from hitting the window and I worked up the courage to ask her if he could live in the intern house with all of us. She agreed and said that I could keep him and take him home at the end of summer! :D

1972294_10203086982394030_2716054059691895868_n.jpg

I named him Barriston after Barriston Selmy of Game of Thrones (perhaps some of you will get the reference). He has a big personality but he is such a sweetheart. He is my first bird, so I know I have a lot to learn and I learn something new about him everyday. :)

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Congratulations, it looks like Master Barry is a lucky bird.....

MrsKay

Jun 23, 2014
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Larry)
Canary (Norman)
Aww, Barriston is gorgeous! So happy you have each other. Parakeets are awesome birds :)
Years ago I target trained mine to fly from his cage to a swing hanging from the ceiling. He used to have a ball flying to & fro.... :)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Barriston is beautiful! Lucky little guy. I'm so glad you rescued him :) This forum is a great place to learn about your new little bird.

How awful they said they'd kill him if no one wanted to take him! :mad: I look at my boy Twigs, and find that such an offensive comment :eek:

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Barry is a very handsome boy! I am so glad he found you to give him the care and attention he deserves. How awful of those people to even suggest killing him. Best of luck to you.

Most Reactions

Latest posts