Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
Sounds like you are doing the right thing, for everyone involved, including , Buddy. I hope he finds a home someday, with someone who is prepared to take him on. They can be quite the commitment, for sure! but soo worth it!

Wishing you good luck with this girlie!

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Good luck to you and you are right that if you are going to rehome him it is better to do it sooner than later.I am hoping for his sake though that you can try to find a forever home for him.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
About the cage top opening, before switching out Lola's cage, the cage that came with her was a open top, she managed to open it from the inside. She never got the door to be fully opened, but I put her in my other cage that I feel safer for her and a lot bigger too. I also don't like the open cage top!

And yes it's been mentioned, it does sound like to me yours is displaying a male Cockatoo aggression! The fly attack can be very dangerous! Also I like to keep my birds flighted, I personally do NOT think it's "Cruel" to clip, it's rather a personal decision. A Cockatoo can give very very nasty bite and it can land you in the ER if he was actually trying to attack you like that. By locking him up for awhile does not help with this issue as it makes him even more irritated and you'll start to hear him scream like no tomorrow. Java never fly to attack me, but he flies to attack my partner. He was floor aggressive so steel toe boots is recommended for floor aggressive birds. The main reason I give him up for adoption was actually for everyone's safety within this house, he tries to kill my other birds. The dogs and the cats are terrified of him. My partner don't like him because of the attacks. The only time I can bring him out is if I'm alone with him which I'm rarely alone. Accidents happen, like the other day my partner accidentally left one of the cage door open and I found one of the birds perch on my ekkie's cage. IF that had been Java's cage, he would of been dead. IF it weren't for all that he would still be here. Clicker training did NOT work on him, he would rather kill the clicker as he would drop his treat instantly if he sees the clicker or hear it. He accepts treat readily if there's no clicker around. I was tempted to clip him but I didn't as I only have him out when I'm alone so he couldn't fly to attack anyone since he doesn't do that with me. But If he was trying to do that with me, he will be clipped 100% as you have your own safety to be concerned about. Cause once he's attacked you in your face, then you would think differently about him. I've never been scared of any birds in my life but Java scared me. He decided to do a full rampage on me just because I told him no. He wanted to come up to my face as he used to do that with his previous owner. I felt uncomfortable with him going near my face so I blocked him with my arm and I told him no in a calm voice. But he didn't take it that way and started attacking me none stop giving me multiple bites all over my arm while I calmly walking towards his cage with him kept biting me all the way until I had him step him into his cage. By this time my arm is drenched with blood all over. My partner was furious looking at my arm and I admit that I was actually scared of him even though I've been bitten by many many birds, but never was scared by any one of them. All my customers was looking at my arm going what happened to your arm. I told them I was attacked by a bird and they were shocked....Ever since then I was very careful in handling him, he still doesn't fly to attack me. He loves me in his own way but I was very careful ever since that attack. That's when I bring out my training sticks with him so that wouldn't happen anymore. He didn't like it as he wants to come to my arm but if you ever get attacked like what he did to me, you really think twice about it letting them on your arm. So I move him from place to place with a training stick but I was able to pet him and give him rubs. He was also the ONLY bird I've ever owned that will allow me to clip his toe nails. He would hand me his toes and let me clip them but then he wants to kill the clipper afterwards. They're something else I tell ya, it really takes a Cockatoo lover to love a Cockatoo. And it was mentioned before, they're mainly messed up by whomever that owned them to begin with to cause a lot of issues that they have, but one major contributor is hormones. Java sees me as his mate so anyone too close to me is trouble for him which I understand that part and that's what saved him from being clipped.

I do also own another Cockatoo that we've had for 8 years, Dixie is a Lesser Sulphur Crested Cockatoo and she is a total sweet heart, but she had issues too when I first got her. She was abused at one point, her first owner used to grab her by her feet and yank her off her cage to get her up, that's why she does not like her feet being touched nor will she step up. She will attack 100% of the time if you try. So I start training her with a training stick and she learned to step up to that, then we go from the stick to arm. Then she was fine and never had issues with her since. She learned from early on with me to learn to play by herself so she was not a screamer nor was she a velcro bird. Once she's out on the play stand or anywhere, she readily steps up on her own now days. She's a very sweet little angel!!!

Just be patient with your baby and take it one day at a time. IF you do decide to clip, I completely understand your reasoning for it. For those that haven't had a big bird fly towards you like that nor had a bird that scarred you for life, you really don't understand how scary it is or how dangerous it can be.

GinaF

Aug 13, 2013
Utah
Parrots
B&G macaw
I'll be the first one to admit that I'm simply not cockatoo people. While in rescue, I had first hand experience with every species and the Too's are the only ones that scared me. Their unpredictable nature and that slicing 3 point beak can really do some damage. I've seen what they can do to people without even a thought. Even people they like and are bonded to. And the Too body language is something I never could figure out, which meant, more often than not I took a nasty bite.

They have their moments. I fostered the cutest, sweetest most playful U2 for a few months because no one else would take him. He had more out of cage time than most of the other rescue birds because he was so playful. However, in the middle of play he'd pause, bite the crap out of you and then expect to go back to playing. When you stopped, he'd get angry and try to attack.

There was another time where he was on a playstand and I was sitting at the counter on a stool doing some paperwork for rescue. He came down off the playstand bit my achilles tendon for absolutely no reason and stood there. That one took some bandaging.

Another occasion where I was holding him in my lap preening and petting him. He was a jumper and for a bird could bounce pretty high. We nicknamed him Tigger because of this. Out of blue he turned around, jumped up and bit me right across the bridge of my nose, barely missing my eye. That was the final straw. There was no warning. No display and I couldn't think of anything I did to provoke that reaction. But at that point I was done and decided he needed to be with an experienced Too person.

Each bite drew blood. Each bite rattled my confidence even more. Many left a scar. And this is not the first Too I've had bite me with no warning. He was just the most unpredictable.

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
Just a quick note to Neverbroken, it sounds like this little girl is a better fit for your family. I just want to state a warning and I hope that you take this seriously. A too is rarely a bird that should be allowed on your shoulder. Please, please do not allow this female to perch on yours or anyone elses shoulder. This is an invitation for disaster. I do not allow many birds on my shoulder. I generally think it is a bad idea, I do however allow my African grey on my shoulder. She is an exceptionally gentle girl and the exception to the rule. My rosie does fly over and hop on my shoulder, I am not too concerned about him however he is a busy, busy baby and I can tell you that he has moments of playing and then nipping and I am chancing that everytime I allow him there. When it comes to a rehome please take it slow, do not allow this behavior it is not worth losing an eye. Keep her on your arm/hand and away from your face. Just as an example, I am considering taking in a 36 year old cag, I was holding him on my arm a good distance from my face. He likes me but gets overwhelmed when certain people walk up to us. He started biting my hand, I moved him to my other hand a good distance from my face and started talking quietly to him, somehow he reached out as far as he could and bit me in the lip and under my nose. I thought he was a safe distance away from me but he still managed to get my face. I would NEVER allow him to be on my shoulder.

OP
NeverBroken

NeverBroken

Aug 22, 2013
NY
Parrots
Lola the U2
Thank you for those stories, Mikey and Gina. Those are birds I could absolutely not handle. First thing today Buddy wouldn't even let me take the blanket off his cage as he was attacking and holding on to it. I was speaking calmly and gently to him, he didnt care. I backed off for a few mins and came over again and took the blanket off- he was jumping all over the front of the cage trying to bite me. SMH He screamed for a bit but quieted down as I ignored him and he realized I wasn't going to be taking him out. He has been quiet since then, just hanging out in his cage.

I've contacted the previous owners to take him back, but haven't heard back from them. I wanted to pick up the new girl tomorrow, but obviously don't want them in the house together as I thought it would stress them both and possibly complicate our new relationship with the new bird (Who is also named, Lola, btw). Now don't get me wrong- these people we got him from seemed very nice, nice home, and the bird definitely liked them- I would not be trying to give him back to them if I thought it was an abusive or bad situation. There is a bird rescue about 2 hours from me, and I can bring him there if necessary. But I wanted to try to let him go back to where he was comfortable before. I have not yet heard back from these people however.

So for now I'm going to be as sweet as ever to him, I know it's not his fault, I'm not angry with him in any way- he's a bird and he is scared. But I'm not going to take him out of his cage if I can help it.

Brian, thank you for that advice- you are right, in her owner's home she ran right up to our shoulders and apparently does to many people and has never bitten anyone. But once we bring her here, we can not have the same cavalier attitude about it. Thank you for making me think about it- we will keep her off our shoulder until we feel much more secure with her. I can't promise no shoulder ever- I understand the thought behind it and I sure don't want my face bit, but Babygirl had loved to be on shoulders as people walked around doing whatever around the house, outside, etc and it seems this girl does the same- neither having ever bitten. So if we get to the point that we trust her like that, we'll give it a shot and see how it goes. But for now, we will absolutely be more cautious as we get to know her and she gets to know us.

GinaF

Aug 13, 2013
Utah
Parrots
B&G macaw
I suspect that given the hastened adoption from the previous owners, they're fully aware that this Too has some serious psychological issues. My prediction is you won't hear back from them as they likely don't want the bird back. It's sad really. People purchase a pet, make a complete mess of it and then sell it off to someone unsuspecting.

Cockatoos raised in homes where the owners are unprepared and unwilling to meet the demands of the bird are the most common bird to end up in a sanctuary. A lot of them you can never get back to pet quality. :(

Pajarita

Banned
Banned
Jul 11, 2013
It might be best for this bird to go to a rescue (if they take him, most of them don't as they already have too many toos they cannot place) because if this bird is aggressive, it was the people who had him before that made him this way so returning him to a bad situation would not be in the bird's best interest.

I would also recommend you do not adopt another cockatoo so soon. Spend some time volunteering at a rescue and learn their body language and how to handle them before you do.

OP
NeverBroken

NeverBroken

Aug 22, 2013
NY
Parrots
Lola the U2
Thanks ladies. They had told me they only had Buddy a few months, and had taken him off the hands of a co-worker who couldn't keep him anymore as it was his elderly wife's bird and she was coming to the end of her life. So I don't know that they are necessarily responsible for his behavior, but indeed they had to be getting rid of him for a reason beyond what they said which was that they didn't have enough time for him. I think it was the wife more then the husband- she told me the husband liked the bird a lot and would keep him if it were up to him, but she decided the bird needed someone who had more time for him. She also told me that the bird 'scratched' him once, well when we picked the bird up he actually said it BIT him- so seems she was trying to downplay that to us. But they made it out that it was a birthday party and kids were around being loud, balloons in the air, etc and that they thought it just freaked him out, and otherwise he had been fine- that sounded reasonable to me so I took their word on it. Who knows, people lie. Pawning a bird off on people (or any animal) and not telling them the true reasons only to have the new owners find out themselves and be unhappy only hurts that animal and the new owners- I will never understand how people can do that. But then again, I hear people say how if their animal got sick and it was expensive to treat they'd just put it down, usually this comes up in response to hearing that I spent over 5k on my 3 year old cat when he had cancer. I know not everyone has 5k, I didn't either, I had to borrow it- but they say even if it's 1k, they'd put the animal down. Sorry, I would figure out how to get the money, somehow, to take care of my pets as they are my children. SMH

Anyway, they have not gotten back to me as of yet, and were supposed to be in another state but returning tomorrow. If they don't get back to me by tomorrow I may indeed have to look at the rescues around here.

I know several people have mentioned not getting a Too again so soon, and I respect and appreciate your advice. But I really feel that I am up to the challenge, as long as aggression is not a major issue. I'm not going to stop researching and studying and doing whatever I have to to make sure I know as much as I can about their care and training. Buddy has actually been ok so far today, he hasn't gotten worked up, and I spent some time by his cage as he preened on top of it. Played him some music and even sang to him, lol. He seems calm today but I don't plan on handling him unless necessary, so as to avoid him getting worked up.

DeeNTheChillas

Jul 18, 2013
Western NY
Parrots
Will be adding a parrot when the right one finds me.
I know there are some rescues in NY... Second Chance in Rochester, and a new one that is just forming, Upstate Parrot Rescue or something of the sort. No idea where you are located but those are a couple I can think of off hand. Good luck.

OP
NeverBroken

NeverBroken

Aug 22, 2013
NY
Parrots
Lola the U2
I am upstate, thanks Dee :) I read there is one in Binghamton too, I have to do some research on them though.
ETA looks like I was mistaken about Binghamton, but the Rochester one looks good- thanks again :)

Last edited:

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Goffin Too, U2, Scarlet Mac, B&G Mac, DYH Zon, CAG and a
Birdbrained Wife!
Neverbroken,

I really do not want to offend you but this may anyway. You should really slow down on your idea of getting a baby bird. There are tons of things that you are not prepared for.

Birds in general are very good at manipulating and don't think like people. Things that you think will fix this or that, in a birds mind may well cause other issues. (Cuddling your bird can and will cause aggression if done wrong) You think you are innocently loving on them, they say "Hey, she wants to mate!"

Every bird WILL bite you!! Not a matter of if, it is a when. Every bird will be aggressive, They are a permanent moody 2 year old, jacked up on caffeine and sugar.

If this bird scares you and you don't want to take the time to help it become comfortable in you home, realize that with a baby it will not be any easier in the long run. You MAY have a honeymoon period, but in the end the same issues can pop up. Then what will you do? Will you send another bird to a rescue?

Every bird (Within reason) can be fixed, it takes time and training. (More training for you than the bird)

Maybe a cuddly stuffed animal bird may be more suited to you...:(

Steve

GinaF

Aug 13, 2013
Utah
Parrots
B&G macaw
Neverbroken,

I really do not want to offend you but this may anyway. You should really slow down on your idea of getting a baby bird. There are tons of things that you are not prepared for.

Birds in general are very good at manipulating and don't think like people. Things that you think will fix this or that, in a birds mind may well cause other issues. (Cuddling your bird can and will cause aggression if done wrong) You think you are innocently loving on them, they say "Hey, she wants to mate!"

Every bird WILL bite you!! Not a matter of if, it is a when. Every bird will be aggressive, They are a permanent moody 2 year old, jacked up on caffeine and sugar.

If this bird scares you and you don't want to take the time to help it become comfortable in you home, realize that with a baby it will not be any easier in the long run. You MAY have a honeymoon period, but in the end the same issues can pop up. Then what will you do? Will you send another bird to a rescue?

Every bird (Within reason) can be fixed, it takes time and training. (More training for you than the bird)

Maybe a cuddly stuffed animal bird may be more suited to you...:(

Steve

And this is why I have and will maintain my thinking that a Too isn't a bird suited for inexperienced people. Too's are different from any other species in the respect that their unpredictability requires much more patience, understanding and you'd better have medical insurance! I've seen some that were absolutely sweet, until they had a bad day. Then it was like a demon snapped out of that fluffy body. They can be like Jeckyl and Hyde and many are unprepared how to handle their tantrums... and they do throw tantrums. They are hands on birds nearly 24/7, which means you can't expect them to be happy on a playstand for very long. Most people can't handle how demanding they are and how much time they HAVE to dedicate to them. It's not optional. Take that attention away and you're marinating a disaster.

Not to scare you or anything, but what you experienced with this bird is typical. The next one may very well react to change exactly the same way. They take a long time to trust. A long time to get over their feelings being hurt and a long time to recover from losing their 'people'. And even a baby will always be unpredictable.

My advice would be to offer to foster for a local rescue group. For me, it helped me figure out which personalities matched my own, which species I could most relate to and which ones are a good fit for my lifestyle.

OP
NeverBroken

NeverBroken

Aug 22, 2013
NY
Parrots
Lola the U2
Thank you both, but there has been a misunderstanding somewhere, the other bird is NOT a baby. After immense amounts of research in the last few days, I agree that a baby is not right for us either- just because it's cute and cuddly as a baby doesn't tell me what it will be like as it gets older- I get that. The other bird is a 6 year old female.

I should reiterate that I do have some cockatoo experience, my cousin had a very sweet female named Babygirl who I grew to know and love over a couple of years time, before he passed away and his wife wound up with the bird, but she is no longer in touch with the family- so I can't say what she is like now. But they just down the street from us so the families were very close and I spent a lot of time with Babygirl. Through the years I knew her she never bit anyone- now I obviously can't say she hasn't since or that the possibility wasn't there. I am reading in many places that as you say, all birds tend to bite at one time or another. I get that, I realize that at some point I may get bitten, and it will hurt like hell and probably require a hospital visit and leave a scar. But a random bite because the bird gets scared, or I do something stupid, etc is one thing- the way this bird is actively trying to take a chunk out of me mostly any chance he gets is another thing.

Anyway, I appreciate your advice and insights- that is why I am here after all! I don't take offense, as I know you are all speaking from your heart on behalf of the birds you love. As someone who has advocated for dogs and cats similarly, I totally get it. Real is good- sugar coating things doesn't help me, or Buddy, or any future bird.

And as to sending another bird to a rescue- NO. That is not going to happen. (And an update- The people who gave him to me actually did get back with me, and they are going to take him back, so Buddy isn't going to a rescue either.) But I have thought long and hard about taking in the other bird, and have come to an intelligent and heartfelt decision that I do believe we can be a great home for her and therefore do want to adopt her, and that if/as issues come up we will deal with them. I will make sure that everything is as perfect as it can be for her needs, and I will work with her as much as I need to. I feel she is a better fit for us over all, and that we can handle any issues that arise. I've read a TON in the last few days, and have taken everyone's thoughts, advice, and experience into consideration. I am not going to stop reading, and asking questions, and doing everything I can to be a great Too parent.

Thank you again for everyone who contributed in this thread, I appreciate it from the bottom of my heart :)

Klutch

Aug 24, 2013
Parrots
Chibi - Pink&Grey Galah
I know several people have mentioned not getting a Too again so soon, and I respect and appreciate your advice. But I really feel that I am up to the challenge, as long as aggression is not a major issue.
Please listen to these people. They're trying to give you advice for your own benefit.

You're scared of the aggression and biting - They can sense this, and they will take full advantage of this. Ask yourself why you want such a large cockatoo to begin with.
But a random bite because the bird gets scared, or I do something stupid, etc is one thing- the way this bird is actively trying to take a chunk out of me mostly any chance he gets is another thing.

The majority of cockatoos will bite, seemingly for no reason(When in fact, there is ALWAYS a reason)

You've had him for a few days, it is no where NEAR enough time for him to become adjusted to you, you've taken him out of his comfortable surroundings and dumped him in a new home, with people he doesn't know, and things he's not familiar with. At the moment, he is absolutely TERRIFIED of everything.

You say you are up the the challenge, but i'm not convinced, if you were, you wouldn't pawn this beautiful creature off back to its previous owners just because hes aggressive at the moment. It can take days, weeks, or MONTHS for him to feel safe around you. Chibi(My Galah) was a hand raised bird that had been chucked in an aviary and not handled for 3-4 months, when i first got her, she was phobic and would lunge/bite me any chance she got. 5 Months down the track, she seeks out scratches, steps up, and happily interacts with me, But she will still occasionaly get a tad aggresive if i push something or invade her personal space.

These birds are a very intense, and very long commitment, they are not cats or dogs.

I'm under the impression you seem to think getting a female will make things all nice and peachy - It won't. You may get her home and things will be all peachy, but i can guarantee, a few weeks, months, years down the track, she will become tempermental for an unkown amount of time (Hours, Days, Weeks) and you will feel exactly the same as you do now.

I'm not trying to discourage you as they are beautiful pets, but i think you really need to do a lot more research, i don't think you fully understand the time and dedication these birds require.

Last edited:

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Goffin Too, U2, Scarlet Mac, B&G Mac, DYH Zon, CAG and a
Birdbrained Wife!
Klutch is 100% right, The first time a bird gets the idea that you are afraid of getting bitten they WILL take control of you. Like I said they are smart and will manipulate you even by fear.

I understand that you had a great experience with Babygirl but even with that bird, you were not there everyday to see the bad days and mood swings.

I have a 8 month old Goffin and it is the sweetest most cuddly thing in the world:white1:... Until you cross it's sense of the way things should be in it's mind. Then watch out!!:smile039: It has literally had the dogs shaking in fear and drawn blood on me.

And that is a sweet properly trained well adjusted baby goffin which is one of the more docile Toos.

So, Female or not, in a month or two I will bet that you will find yourself in the same position that you are in now.

Remember it's not the bird, it's the keeper.:headwall:

Last edited:

GreyG

Jul 26, 2013
Virginia Beach, VA
Parrots
Cleo (Meyer's)
Bailey (Coral Billed Pionus)
Zoey (African Grey)
You're scared of the aggression and biting - They can sense this, and they will take full advantage of this.

I can add my experience with our Meyers for perspective. Remember, a Meyers is about a tenth of the size of a larger 'too - maybe less than that. I am 45 years old and have had birds since I was a teenager - including a few years with an wild-caught Umbrella. I feel I have a pretty good amount of bird experience, not as a breeder, but as a dedicated owner of many wonderful companions over the years. I've read MANY books, articles, watched videos, attended bird seminars, etc.

In 1995, we had a quaker who was quite attached to me and my wife felt a bit left out, so she wanted a second bird. We found Cleo and arranged to meet the breeder which ultimately led to us bringing her home. Cleo formed a great bond with my wife and also tolerated me - no signs of aggression whatsoever. One day, Cleo walked across the floor to me as I was sitting at the dining room table. She climbed up my pant leg, up my sleeve and onto my shoulder....not at all out the norm. She sat there and innocently preened for a bit, got some scritches from me, and then for "no apparent reason" (I know there was a reason, but didn't recognize it at the time) she attacked the back of my neck and ears. She cleverly placed herself behind my head down my back a bit just out of my reach. I called out to my wife who came and got her off of me, but the damage had been done...I had many bite marks and deep punctures on my neck and ears, and it was quite bloody. Didn't need stitches, but did develop some significant bruising and recovery was quite painful. This was in the fall of 1997.

To this day, I cannot trust her (I mean **I** cannot trust her...not that she isn't sweet, it is in my head). I move her around the house on a perch, and do allow her on my knee only (but I do create some sort of barrier to prohibit her from running up my shirt to my head), and I do give her scritches on the top of her head - but not to the extent I used to be able to do. My wife handles her easily, and Cleo spends hours sitting on her getting doted on. The only time I am not fearful of her is in strange places - e.g. vet - where I am her familiar person.

I have, in my opinion, alot of bird keeping experience, and I know the "tricks of the trade" - target training, gaining trust, etc. But I still have innate fear of her that I know she senses and uses to try to manipulate me. I can't train myself to get over it. When she flutters onto the floor near me, I am fearful that she is going to go after my feet.....even though she rarely does that. That attack from 16 years ago still controls me, and I've been unsuccessful in overcoming it. I have, instead, learned ways that I can enjoy Cleo, and still have a relationship with her. I can handle any other bird, no problem, just not my sweet Cleo. I still love her very much.

My point is that you need to also consider how YOU are going to be able to deal with the inevitable. It is not easy, and not always entirely something you can control, no matter how well prepared or how much experience you believe you have.

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
Toos are not the screaming monsters they are portrayed to be. Not to say that mine haven't been at times but they truly are magnificent creatures that deserve understanding. These birds do not make good house "pets", male or female. It's a sad crime that they are kept in the first place. That being said, quit whipping Neverbroken for trying to do what she thinks is best for her and her family.

Pajarita

Banned
Banned
Jul 11, 2013
I don't think anybody is whipping her. We are giving her out honest opinion based on what she has told us which, basically, is that a person who returns a cockatoo because it's aggressive after having it a few days is not prepared to adopt another cockatoo regardless of how sure she might be about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts