Help! Berry is scared of her new training perch!!

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (♀ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (♂ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (♀ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017
Hi everyone,

I picked up Berry’s training perch today, and the budgies are more than happy to sit on it, but Berry is TERRIFIED of it. Maybe it’s the colour, I’m not sure, but I’m just not sure how to make her feel comfortable on it.

Any advice?

Here’s a pic of the budgies:
8c24a5fd3398e9df860ebf6224352eea.jpg

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
If you think it might be the color, it could be a simple as getting a "calmer" color vet wrap to rewrap it in. At least to start with until Berry is comfortable with the perch itself. Otherwise, you could try just introducing her to it slowly. Perch her on something she is comfortable with near the new training perch for a while and gradually mover her closer to it until she realizes it isn't going to eat her. :p I have to do this with quite a few things with our grey, whereas our amazon runs right up to new things without a care in the world.

OP
reeb

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
I’ve tied a piece of millet spray to it, which the budgies are now just hogging, she just haaaates it. Managed to get her pretty close and she nibbled on the millet but was not exactly enjoying it.

Maybe I do need to change the colour. That one was the only colour vet wrap they had in stock apparently...

I’m just keeping it next to the playgym. Hopefully she gets used to it [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
meh he'll probably get over it. Clark was afraid of a lot of things at first, but over time and seeing me use them or eat them he got over it. Case in point he totally freaked out over a purple Popsicle once. Then about halfway through me eating it......

Also don't share to pop sickles, too much sugar....unless the bird overcame a fear then it's ok to get a few licks now and again.

Have you tried eating the training perch? :32:

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
I just try to make whatever my boys are scared of becoming part of their life and before you know it they are happy to use it or be next to it. For instance, place the training perch near somewhere Barry always goes or sits and eventually she will come to accept it especially if she keeps seeing her friends eat millet on it. Don't try to put her on it for a couple of days and then after having it "around" she may willingly go on it.

@Clark_conure Lolololol

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Color most likely. I got Salty a new sand sleeping perch, it was bright pink. He took one look and absolutely freaked out in his cage, I didnt even get a chance to put it in. Totally bonkers. It lies deep within the rejected toy box, to be given away sometime.

OP
reeb

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Hmmm... I think tomorrow I shall try draping a towel over it to test whether it is the colour or not.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Bumble always takes a bit to warm up to her things. The big playgym took about 6 weeks. She’d stand on it long enough to take off if I put her there, but she wasn’t going on her own. Then one day she was. Same with her boing and with new toys in her cage. I just leave everything where she can see it and eventually she decides it’s okay.

OP
reeb

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
08ed819c6d9dda5a9ca21a1400eef500.jpg
9f78ef85fd8fcac2edefc34295badc4f.jpg

Progress!!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Wilmington DE - Landenberg PA
Parrots
Rudy - Hybrid Ruby Macaw Born 6/6/15 Scarlet Mother/Green Wing Father - Oliver BFA RIP 3/15/15 @ 34yo. Without you, I would not have Rudy. Thank you!
I got one of the yard perches from Aviator that struck me as strange. Rudy was flapping at it furiously. I thought it was more the material type that he didn't like. He sits on all types of colors and materials except this one.

You can sorta see it in the background
discoduck-albums-rudy-brandywine-picture19913-close-up-profile-4-28-18-brandywine-park.jpg

Here just a couple types of perches

discoduck-albums-rudy-brandywine-picture19840-hey-who-turned-shower.jpg
discoduck-albums-rudy-brandywine-picture19825-rudy-brandywine-southside-mill-race-6-17.jpg
discoduck-albums-rudy-brandywine-picture19726-rudy-posing-5-months-old.jpg
discoduck-albums-rudy-brandywine-picture19727-rudy-screaming-where-global-warming.jpg

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts