Best birds to buy in a pair?

SmoothieKnight

Sep 6, 2017
Hello guys! My friend is finally able to buy a feathery friend, but hes not sure exactly what kind yet (hes thinking Cockatiels). He recognizes he may not have the time to socialize as they need so he will be getting a pair to keep each other happy. We are looking for what you guys believe to be the best birds to keep in pairs.

We are looking for smaller birds, no bigger than say a green cheek conure. As I understand it, lovebirds dont tend to bond well with other birds, unless from an exeedingly young age and Parrotlets will mostly bond to each other and not tend to care nearly as much for the owner. We were thinking on Cockatiels as theyre a good size, tend to take to each other easily, and arent as loud as some other birds. However we would love to hear your guys' input!

Thanks.

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (♀ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (♂ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (♀ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017
Hello guys! My friend is finally able to buy a feathery friend, but hes not sure exactly what kind yet (hes thinking Cockatiels). He recognizes he may not have the time to socialize as they need so he will be getting a pair to keep each other happy. We are looking for what you guys believe to be the best birds to keep in pairs.

We are looking for smaller birds, no bigger than say a green cheek conure. As I understand it, lovebirds dont tend to bond well with other birds, unless from an exeedingly young age and Parrotlets will mostly bond to each other and not tend to care nearly as much for the owner. We were thinking on Cockatiels as theyre a good size, tend to take to each other easily, and arent as loud as some other birds. However we would love to hear your guys' input!

Thanks.

Budgies do wonderfully in pairs! They have sweet personalities and are a lot of fun. Members know that I am the ultimate budgie fan girl! I highly recommend these little guys.

Keep in mind though, you can keep a pair of males or a pair of a male and a female, but females do not typically get along. It is sometimes difficult to know their genders as babies, so just be aware of that.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Have you considered finches? They make good "aviary" birds who's interaction needs are lesser compared to parrots. Many beautiful species of finches, small, relatively simple care (compared to parrots) and do well with just their own kind for company. Personally, I just don't see much of a point in having parrots (large or small) if you don't want to socialize or play with them daily. The special bond you form with them is really their biggest redeeming quality as pets. Otherwise, they are exceptionally messy, noisy and can inflict much worse bites compared to other types of similarly sized birds due to their hooked bills. They don't really make very good aviary birds. Just saying.

If you/your friend is interested in striking colors, these are gouldian finches. Every bit as colorful as a parrot:) I might consider a couple of these guys in a large, beautiful decorative cage (another thing you can't have with parrots, due to their hooked bills, ability to climb and propensity to chew):
3-male-variations-gouldians.jpg

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I second April’s suggestion of Gouldian Finches! I had a group of all male Gouldians before I had parrots. The males are not only one of the most gorgeous birds out there, but they’re easy to keep as well. They’re a hardy and easy going species. Social and not aggressive, so all males will get along well in a colony (or pair of males). I kept them indoors in a large flight cage.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If your friend doesn't care if a bird is overly tame/friendly, then one possible suggestion would be bourke parakeets! Two males would be great!

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
I second April’s suggestion of Gouldian Finches! I had a group of all male Gouldians before I had parrots. The males are not only one of the most gorgeous birds out there, but they’re easy to keep as well. They’re a hardy and easy going species. Social and not aggressive, so all males will get along well in a colony (or pair of males). I kept them indoors in a large flight cage.

I have always wanted to keep Gouldian finches. I have never ever kept finches. But I have read that Gouldians are somewhat sensitive compared to Zebras, Societies, Firefinches etc and you should acquire some Finch experience before acquiring them. Is this true?

Also can they live together in the same cage with cockatiels?

Avin

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Have you considered finches? They make good "aviary" birds who's interaction needs are lesser compared to parrots. Many beautiful species of finches, small, relatively simple care (compared to parrots) and do well with just their own kind for company. Personally, I just don't see much of a point in having parrots (large or small) if you don't want to socialize or play with them daily. The special bond you form with them is really their biggest redeeming quality as pets. Otherwise, they are exceptionally messy, noisy and can inflict much worse bites compared to other types of similarly sized birds due to their hooked bills. They don't really make very good aviary birds. Just saying.

If you/your friend is interested in striking colors, these are gouldian finches. Every bit as colorful as a parrot:) I might consider a couple of these guys in a large, beautiful decorative cage (another thing you can't have with parrots, due to their hooked bills, ability to climb and propensity to chew):
3-male-variations-gouldians.jpg

I agree with this! Finches are a great option!

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
If your friend doesn't care if a bird is overly tame/friendly, then one possible suggestion would be bourke parakeets! Two males would be great!

Or any other grass parakeets!

OP
S

SmoothieKnight

Sep 6, 2017
Hey all!!

Thank you for the fantastic suggestions so far. Were looking a bit more into finches and budgies now.

A small note, when i said he recognizes he doesn't have time to socialize as needed, I meant he would be gone for a large majority of the day. But when he does get home, he would still have 2-4 hours. It was my understanding that parrots tend to need 5 or 6 hours minimum of companionship daily. This being said, the finches are a good idea!

I will keep looking on this thread for any other suggestions, and will update you guys when we make the choice. Thanks!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Hey all!!

Thank you for the fantastic suggestions so far. Were looking a bit more into finches and budgies now.

A small note, when i said he recognizes he doesn't have time to socialize as needed, I meant he would be gone for a large majority of the day. But when he does get home, he would still have 2-4 hours. It was my understanding that parrots tend to need 5 or 6 hours minimum of companionship daily. This being said, the finches are a good idea!

I will keep looking on this thread for any other suggestions, and will update you guys when we make the choice. Thanks!

Many people work a full work week and keep medium or large parrots.

I only have 3 birds right now, one of which I've had since I was in school (she's turning 17 next month), the other since between school and work (he's 24, been with me for half his life).

The only bird who isn't tame/friendly, is the wild caught bird who doesn't care much for humans anyway... she's been in the USA for 5 years now (as of this month)

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Hey all!!

If you want to see a whooole bunch of different finch species, this is a great link!
http://www.finchinfo.com/birds/finches/species/index.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions