HELP!!! Bobby Is obsessed with chewing on his newspaper bedding.

BobbyBird

Feb 9, 2024
Parrots
Bobby
He has been chewing his bedding for a while now, but its starting to concern me because he may be eating some in the process?...
The cage doesnt have a grate. just a plastic tray on the bottom. PLEASE does anyone know how to stop this?
Sometimes he chews it up and then later he growls at it like mad. HELP!

Jexnell

Supporting Member
2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
He is actually nesting, shredding the paper to make nest material. Birds don't need a "bed" like we do. They sleep in the sitting position. Typically with one eye working while the other is asleep.
20220706_180401.jpg

My Sun Conure "asleep" half of thier brains sleeps while the other half watches for danger, it's weird I know but that's how it works with birds, being a prey animal is dangerous.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
My Quaker likes to angrily attack his newspaper and “ hole punch” the entire top edge. It’s part of his morning routine after I change his paper. As far as I can tell, he never eats any. To me, it’s pretty harmless behavior so I don’t try to stop him.

OP
BobbyBird

BobbyBird

Feb 9, 2024
Parrots
Bobby
Ok im sooo relieved thats its not harmful! Thank you!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I agree w/Jexnell, this is nesting behacior, which means this is mating behavior. Make note when it stops. THat will give you a bracket for the future. Has Bobby been a bit .... off? Bitey? Sudden mood changes? Those are more pointers for mating season.

@Jcas, Quakers have this behavior all year long, part of their drive to build those gigantic nests they build. I've read that some get so big and well made that some need to be blown apart with explosives, when they build them on power transformers and such. I;ve seen these huge nests in NYC believe it or not.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Quakers have this behavior all year long, part of their drive to build those gigantic nests they build
So Quaker parrots build nests. Ok I didn't know that. It's different cos most parrots use tree hollows

OP
BobbyBird

BobbyBird

Feb 9, 2024
Parrots
Bobby
I agree w/Jexnell, this is nesting behacior, which means this is mating behavior. Make note when it stops. THat will give you a bracket for the future. Has Bobby been a bit .... off? Bitey? Sudden mood changes? Those are more pointers for mating season.

@Jcas, Quakers have this behavior all year long, part of their drive to build those gigantic nests they build. I've read that some get so big and well made that some need to be blown apart with explosives, when they build them on power transformers and such. I;ve seen these huge nests in NYC believe it or not.
Hmmm. he has been a bit more aggresive and crazy recently.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies

Yes, JJ does like to “ build” with his popsicle sticks but, at least for him, the paper behavior is different; he’s not shredding it he’s just mad at it. It’s not just newspaper either, he has a vendetta against all kinds of paper lol!

Bird Mann

Sep 27, 2023
Maple Ridge BC
Parrots
I care for and manage a bonded pair of Parrotlets.
Totally normal, avoid giving them inked paper, especially shiny magazine ink.
You need to relax :) because you bird reads your emotions and you don't want to make your bird into stressed mess. It's good that you are asking questions just keep calm :) My parrotlets especially love corrogated card board the thick stuff that kind of looks like waffle inside, I have giant sheet of it and cut strips for them.
I also purchase end rolls from newspaper printers and use that to line the pan and when they can reach it they chew it., it is safe. Other really good chewing products are "yucca logs" and discs... I get them at petsmart but amazon has them as well. my birds chew all year long but in spring time it ramps up, it is natural bahavior. oh a really great chew for parrotlets is sea grass, sea grass mats also available on amazon. they come with toys attached and you hang it on the side of the cage, my guys chew a mouthful then go to their waterdish, soak it and chew on it like chewing tobacco., they like the flavour, they just love them. So yeah give your birds lots of variety to chew., food too, apples, peppers...

Best Laurie and :blue2: :blue2: Opie & Bonnie

Most Reactions