Help : Broken nail

iherick

Oct 3, 2015
My conure "broke" her nail. There was no bleeding, but she cant stand on her left foot. The injury is near the center of her nail, but again, no blood. the injury is pale, almost as if it was scratched. there's also something sticking out, a white sting? Its not a vein.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
If you can take a picture that would help, sounds like she might have gotten her toe caught on something and got a thread stuck? No bleeding is good, but that doesn't mean it couldn't if it splits more. Remove anything fabric in the cage, and avoid covering the cage with towels or blankets that have looped thread.

I'd really need to see, but keep flour or cornstarch on hand if you don't have quickstop powder that you can tap and hold on the bleeding. Other than that you might need to call the vet or bring her in just to be on the safe side, but if it's just minor she should be just fine.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Do you know how she injured the nail? A broken nail with no blood shouldn't keep her from standing. Is it possible she also injured the toe or possibly her foot or leg? It would be helpful if you could post a close up of the the nail and foot.

OP
I

iherick

Oct 3, 2015
She's asleep at the moment, and I'll check up on her in the morning. Thank you for the tips, I really appreciate them. I'll be sure to take pictures in the morning.

OP
I

iherick

Oct 3, 2015
It looks like as if someone were to scratch glass. I don't think it's that deep, but yeah, she can't put a lot of weight on it. She gets really fluffy and pulls her leg into the fluff. She is able to climb and walk, but when she can, she will pull her leg up immediately.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
It sounds like she was a little traumatized by whatever happened to break the nail. It may be sore and her feelings are probably hurt. If she can climb and walk she should be fine in no time. As Aquila suggested, keep a close eye on her and if it persists she may need a vet visit.

Most Reactions

Latest posts