Help choosing a potential bird: GCC vs male Eclectus

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Greetings all!

I've been doing some obsessive non-stop reading (including threads with this identical title here) and I'm at a point now where I need some interaction to iron out my decision. I apologize for the length but I have researched myself into the ground, and Have a laundry list of questions/concerns that have arisen from this research.

Background: Im 31 years old, and for most of my childhood I had little budgies, and high school/part of college was owned by a sweet-yet-sour red throated conure whom is no longer with us

I'm still debating if this is even something I want to do, but mentally am jumping right to "what bird is best for me", in the chance I do decide to move forward.

I've researched out the rump, and have narrowed it down to Eclectus and green cheeks.

My situation:
1) live in a house.
2) work 8:30-5 mon-fri job with two hour round trip commute, so bird would probably be out of cage from 7pm-11pm, otherwise caged
3) have a partner who would need serious convincing. I can tolerate most screaming. He won't be able to take aratinga/macaw type screaming
4) I can adapt to most needs of these birds.
5) I have every confidence in my ability to train and handle either of these birds.
6) bird will spend most of its time out of cage when we are home (4hrs on weekdays,

What I like about these birds collectively:
1) less frequent screamers (volume isn't s big deal as long as it is only morning/night calls for 5-15 min)
2) less known for one person behavior, which is important because we rarely have company over, so in my mind I set myself up for greater odds of success with strangers being able to handle them if need be (not guaranteed in the absence of full socialization. This choice is a Hail Mary putting faith in genetics and my own abilities.)

Eclectus specifically, I like the heft of a slightly larger bird and reputed docile nature of the males. I'm slightly put off by the small budgie size of the GCC.

GCC specifically: clownish behavior and Velcro-ness. Conures really are my first choice. Given my druthers I'd actually snag up a sun, but my partner I don't think could live with that noise, so Pyrrhuras are the runner up.

Specific concerns I have if you could address them:
1) serious concern about how sensitive male Eclectus are:
a) would 12 hr days in the cage be psychologically damaging for them?
b) I have read a number of stories about how ADULT male Eclectus seem to go from sweet pets people have owned for years to aggressive monsters over night, I.e. After leaving them with a family member for a few days while the owners go on vacation. Just how sensitive are they and how easy is it to cause such a personality flip? Of all my questions, this weighs the most heavily on me because conures in my experience are resilient and aren't likely to change personalities, but if one did flip on me I could handle it. If an Eclectus flips on me, im not sure I can handle it given that I have a tea cup yorkie and a non bird loving partner to be worried about. I can handle the teenage years, but some mysterious psychological damage that ruins an adult bird, not so much

2) diet aside (I can manage this), would an Eclectus necessarily take more time investment than a GCC? In the parrot world, does size always correlate to higher maintenance? If so, what is so different?

I appreciate your help and guidance here. This decision on whether or not I want to get another bird is a very drawn out, deliberate process that I'm taking very seriously. I wiouldnt be in a position to purchase the bots for a couple years so I have plenty of time to reflect on what I want. It'll take at least that long to save up if I get an Eclectus.

I'm also open to other recommendations if you have them, but these are the two I've been able to narrow it down to.

Thank you so much!

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Welcome to the forum. I don't have experience with either of the birds you are debating about but someone will probably come along shortly and help you out.

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
GW Macaw-Sailor, Goffins Cockatoo Mako, GC Conure-Tazzy, Turquoise Conure Yuki, Budgies-Percy, Annabeth, Elsa
I am strongly biased in favor of the green cheek conure. I absolutely love my boy, he's small but mighty and huge on personality. And really quiet, to be honest. He hardly ever makes more than a few peeps. It takes an exciting noise of a certain sound level to get him to call louder. He's audacious, brazen, and funny as can be. He dances like a fruitcake, makes me laugh over his antics off and on all day. He loves my shoulder and has started trying to give kisses. He preens my hair and nuzzles my neck and cheek. He'll run down my arm to steal my food if it looks like something interesting to him. If I have anything in my hand he thinks it must be something new for him to play with. He's a ball, honestly. My husband will walk up and reach out towards him and he begins to grumble and jabber on in his squeaky angry voice telling my husband off for getting too near me and him. Everyone laughs when he gets worked up because he makes it very obvious the person displeasing him is in big trouble :)

LaurenB

Oct 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure - Tiki //
Sun Conure - Nacho //
Indian Ringnecks - Kermit and Beaker
I can't comment on the male eclectus because I don't have experience with them. However, I will say my GCC is an absolute BLAST. She is a hysterical, curious, cuddly, adventurer. She wants to eat whatever I'm eating, wants to go wherever I'm going, and LOVES new people. It's the most bizarre thing I've ever seen in a bird. The more strangers, the better! Any time I bring new friends over for her to meet, she bobs her head so fast I'm afraid it's going to pop right off! She rubs her face on our faces and makes kissy noises to call you over and get your attention. When she decides she wants to be scratched (which is pretty much nonstop unless she's taking a bath), she climbs down off my shoulder and head dives into my hands to get them to start petting. Having only owned parakeets in the past personally, I was NOT expecting so much personality to explode out of such a tiny little bird! I'm sure by doing your research and your homework you are being responsible and will make an excellent "parront" and will make the right decision. As far as the significant other goes... My husband is by no means a "bird person". He never so much as took a second glance at my parakeets. But he has fallen head over heels in love with our conure, Tiki. We are on vacation right now and he keeps talking about how much he misses his "Squee" (lol). I don't think anybody with a heart can resist their cuddly lovable nature and I'm sure it won't take much time at all for your husband to fall in love.

It seems like you seem to know for sure that a conure will work out for you, but have some doubts about the Eclectus. Would it be possible for you to start with a conure... and add to your flock later?

Squirt

Oct 13, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Sun Conure (f) Tallulah
Eclectus CAN scream very loud. I think a conure is a good idea, especially if your partner is skeptical. I'm pretty sure it will be quieter than an eclectus but screaming varies by bird. Will your partner have the bird out when you are not home?

OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Thank you all for your most helpful words of wisdom. After serious deliberation I think Eclectus is out. I think they would be a tad too much work for what I'm willing to deal with.

Lauren, you are right, I know for a fact That conures would be the best bird for me, should I choose to proceed. Aratingas specifically. Its just difficult because I can't really want the birds I would really want Out of consideration for my better half. If I were single I'd be choosing between a sun and a Patagonian!

Adding to the flock would be out of the question; you should see the dirty looks I get when I bring up even getting a second teacup yorkie, let alone a first or second bird��

I've taken to looking at blue crowns as one of the "quieter" aratingas (take that for what it's worth). We have a quiet house so that might tip one to the quieter side of loud. I could see either that, a crimson belly (as a larger Pyrrhura) or a pineapple green cheek working out.

Spirit, we have exactly the same schedules since we actually work for the same company, commute together, and he is rarely home alone (can you say not enough apart time?) so that question is actually mute. Hypothetically speaking, I'm not sure. He's a gentle soul who loves everything, and if the bird were automatically to take to him, he might interact some. But he's never been interested in birds, so handling for the sake of training/trust building might be a step too far.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts