Help choosing my first bird

Pareeeee

Nov 3, 2016
Hi,

My husband and I are looking into getting a small parrot/parakeet and were wondering what would be the right species for us. Linnies seem to almost fit our personalities but we were wondering if there is another species that would fit as well.

I do not want a budgie or cockateil.

* Here are my criteria - I will try to be as thorough as possible:

1) I live in an apartment so it must be a quieter bird

2) It must be a bird that both my husband and I can interact with (won't just bond to one of us)

3) Because I am in an apartment I only have room for a small cage

4) I have some mild allergies so the less dusty, the better

5) We would prefer a cuddly bird that enjoys being pet, but is not overly needy/doesn't need attention 24/7

6) I want a bird that can be trained not to bite

7) We have no children so that is not an issue

8) Because of space restrictions I would prefer a bird that can be housed alone (unless they are very small birds that I can get 2 of).

9) Ability to talk doesn't matter to us.

Thank you!

jiannotto9492

Jun 14, 2015
Long Island, New York
Parrots
Curry the Indian Ringneck
Any bird can be taught to not bite or can bite. It is all a matter of how much you handle the bird.

How much time can you dedicate to a bird?

How small of a cage are we talking about?

All birds have the potential to be loud but some are not nearly as loud as others.

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
First, I think that interacting with different birds at a pet store, rescue, sanctuary, etc, would be the best way to determine what is going to be right for you. With birds, it is also hard to say a certain species is better than another due to individual differences between birds of the same species. Just because a species is known for being quiet, cuddly, whatever, doesn't mean that the individual bird you get will be.

Also, are you sure a bird is the right choice of a pet for you? A few of your desires raise a few flags for me, honestly. The one that stuck out the most is that you want a bird that can be trained not to bite. While almost all birds can be bite pressure trained, to an extent, they use their beaks like a hand. They hold onto things when moving to steady themselves, they explore new things with their beaks, and if you push them too far, they will bite. You are not going to train the bite out of a bird. You can train them to control the pressure of their bite with time and persistence, but they will bite. If you cannot handle a bite, a bird probably isn't the best choice for you.

Also, if you plan on keeping a single bird, especially one that wants to bond and interact with you, they are going to need a lot of attention. They are like toddlers. You can't just shove them in a cage in the corner and not give them attention if you don't feel like it. Even if you work 12 hours, you still need to come home and interact with your bird. If you don't, you are setting yourself up for behavioral issues like plucking, screaming, biting, etc.

I hope I am not coming off too harshly, I just want you to be prepared for what it means to bring home a bird. They are not a standard "pet" like a dog or cat. They will not be content to just be fed and petted a few minutes every once in a while. I work with a lot of rescue birds that have been left in cages for years because their owners did not want to put the time and resources into properly caring for them. I'm sure others will chime in shortly, again I apologize if I seem harsh, but I would rather you understand what you are really getting into.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I agree with above posts... I would add...
Most parrots are a few generations out of the wild, and even the more commonly-bred ones still have wild DNA in their souls, so to speak. They're just not predictable like domesticated animals. In any event, there is wide variation, even within species. I like the idea of getting some experience in shops or with other people's birds...
I admire how you're researching and reaching out.
Good luck!

OP
P

Pareeeee

Nov 3, 2016
Thanks. Harsh is ok, I'd rather know the truth about bird ownership than being told "get one you'll love it". I'm not new to pet ownership (I even moderate a popular reptile forum) but I am totally new to birds and not afraid to admit it. I know birds are many years of commitment and don't take it lightly.

I guess I should have clarified? When I mean "bite" I mean hard. I don't mind nibbling or using it as a "hand" or playing with their beaks. Aggressive biting is maybe what I mean. I hear parrotlets, for instance, bite a fair bit and bite hard - not sure if that's true or not. If so they would be off my list.

As for cage size, the smaller the better but I understand that they need space. I don't have room for an aviary or something like 4 foot wide or anything. I also don't want to get one of those horrible, one-foot round cages either.

My husband works nights and sleeps until 1-2pm, but is home in the afternoon. I am part time, usually 9-4 or 12-4 shifts.

We are still determining whether or not birds are right for us. We have been watching a ridiculous amount of YouTube videos of owners and their birds - and I've already learned that some of the birds I had my heart set on originally are out of the question for our personalities.

Anyway I'm just trying to narrow down my list. It's taken me months to narrow down as much as I have lol

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Welcome to the forums, so glad you joined us! Respect for researching first, you'll be glad you did. Parrots really aren't for everyone, but then again, some of us can't imagine life without them!

Are you looking at conures at all, maybe a green cheek? I think the biting you are concerned about is the more aggressive type, that is more common with older re-homed birds that have been kept in deplorable conditions or have been treated badly. Positive reinforcement training at a young age is a reliable way to ensure a long happy relationship. As OutlawedSpirit mentioned, parrots tend to approach everything beak first.

There are a lot of cages available, I would choose one as large as space allows, you will need room for a variety of perches and toys. IMHO all round cages should be destroyed.

OP
P

Pareeeee

Nov 3, 2016
OK - I heard that birds, if you get a pair, will bond to each other and not to their owners (and that some birds that have been paired will even be aggressive to their human owners). Is this true? Or is this only true with certain species? I would like to get a pair but have been wary ever since I read that.

I had really considered a Conure, yes, but heard they let out really loud, shrill shrieks - which won't work in an apartment (I don't want neighbors getting mad!) also it would definitely wake up my husband who sleeps until 2pm after working nights.

If I'm wrong please let me know but that's what I heard in my online research.

Also nice to hear about the biting. I would definitely want a hand-fed young bird.

jiannotto9492

Jun 14, 2015
Long Island, New York
Parrots
Curry the Indian Ringneck
Green cheeks aren't too loud for an apartment. How about the size down of that cage? I'd avoid putting a cage by a window. Given your room constraints, it really sounds like unless you're looking at budgies that you should avoid a pair.

JBassset

Oct 18, 2016
Boise
Parrots
3 year old GC Conure
13 year old B&G Macaw
I'm pretty new here and am a new bird owner myself and the folks here are a great resource and have been instrumental in me doing the "right" things with my Conure Stephen.

One thing I learned a while back is that as we become experts in a thing we lose the ability to think like a novice. So as a novice I'll share my experiences.

First off, birds are SMART. They learn things but they learn differently than we expect. In tying to teach Stephen not to bite I accidentally taught him that if I put my hand in his cage he'll get in trouble. Ooops. (We've fixed that now)

That smart means that he needs to be engaged with. A LOT. And that he'll figure out things. Often things that I don't want him figuring out. Like that there is a door I can use to put food in his cage and that he can fit through it if I'm not paying attention!

But I've also learned that for him, an appropriate amount of time to keep him happy is a couple of HOURS a day. Usually 20-30 minutes each morning (what I have time before work) and then lots of time after work. Much of that time is spent in play, in training and a lot of it is just sitting and reading a book or watching TV with him.

He poops about every 15 minutes. So no matter what we're doing I have to be aware of that as we're doing potty training. I can get super into a show but I have to remember to let him go or I'm gonna be cleaning the couch instead of watching TV.

He's messy. Food goes everywhere. He destroys his toys. He poops a LOT (as mentioned above.) He likes to play with his food. He shreds stuff and is pleased as punch to share the scraps with the whole house.

Stephen is starting to bond with me after a month. But his temporary owner (it's a long story, think of her as a foster) is still special to him. If she's around he wants to be with her for a while and then with me. He's got two people in his flock.

He does shriek once in a while but I don't find it particularly loud. But then again I play the bagpipes so what do I know from loud?

Mostly what I've learned is that birds are unpredictable and that another conure in the exact same situation would behave completely differently. Stephen couldn't care less about TV, other birds watch it incessantly.

I know this probably wasn't super helpful in picking a bird. But hopefully it helped you decide if a bird is right or not?

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
People often adopt a pair if they are getting birds of some of the smaller species. There is truth to the pair preferring each other's company over interaction with a human. Lovebirds, finches, parrotlets, and even budgies are often bought in pairs, it's thought they are happier with company.

That is a great cage, if you are considering a conure, I would not go smaller, that's actually minimum space requirements for a medium size bird. It's nice if you can put at least one side of the cage against a wall, especially for a parrot in a new home. I wouldn't attach anything to the cage, parrots need light, maybe cover the window on hot days.

You should visit birds in pet stores or rescues and listen to them up close. People react differently to bird calls, some people can't stand to hear budgies or cockatiels, it's really what you are comfortable with.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
With all of you're overall requirements and available time, I would recommend a Canary. They are greatly underestimated in their ability to interact and are gentle little sweethearts! And, I have never heard of anyone complaining about a male Canary singing.

Loko

Oct 1, 2016
Miami
Parrots
Sun Conure - Loco
Theres really no such thing as "criteria". I dont mean this in any rude way, but when you have a kid, do you say I only want a kid with hazel eyes and dirty blonde hair and medium tan skin that will be good at math and not be a brat? And wont scream! No.. it comes down to two things. One is the bird, while it is true that different species have different traits, every bird has its own personality and there are anomalies to every "rule". Two is you. How much the bird screams, bites, and cuddles is in part up to you and how you train, bond, raise, and interact with your bird. There are some birds that are more or less likely to "cuddle" or be as loud/less loud than another, and obviously a GCC cannot physically scream or bite as hard as an Amazon, but a lot of it comes down to you. I also said that about "criteria" because you can get a bird that is known for being one way, and once it matures its personality is the total opposite.

I live in an apartment as well at the moment and have a sun conure. I would not suggest this for you, as he can be very very loud. A healthy bird is going to flock call a few times per day. My sun is actually quiet compared to many others. He does his flock calls and screams when i come home but other than that he generally just chatters and mumbles when content and happy. Being in an apartment almost any bird is going to wake up your husband depending on size of the apartment. I have a studio and obviously there is no avoiding it. At my family's apartment which is a 2bed if he is in the living room, the opposite end from the master bedroom, you can still hear him in the master bedroom with the door closed when he calls but not enough to necessarily "wake" you.

I would suggest continue doing tons of research and go check out some birds at a local shop or breeder. Some to check out are lovebirds, maybe some of the pyrrurah Conures, quaker, and maybe even caiques and some of the african species such as senegals, meyers, red bellied, etc (search for the african genus poicephalus). These birds all require lots of time, love, and attention, as do all!

Also, as far as cage size, the bigger is always better. This seems like a good size:
30"W x 18"D x 36"H
Bar Spacing: 1/2"
Cant comment on company or cage but it is very similar to mine Pali Place Bird Cage with Stand, Small Bird Cages, Flight Cages, Bird Cages

The most important thing is, make sure you are ready for the responsibility. Would you keep a dog in a tiny cage all day? I hope not, so the same goes for a bird. I dont cage my bird at all, but at the minimum a bird should be allowed out when you are home. I wont put a time on it because its not like you should set a timer for 2 hours and then put him or her away when thats up, it should be every possible chance. After all birds are made to fly great distances and be free, not be pets. If you dont feel like you have enough time to dedicate to the bird, then just hold off, as it will become a part of your family. It doesnt want to sit in a cage, it wants to be part of your flock after all, so if theres any doubt whether you can dedicate yourself to this friendship, then put the idea on hold. If you have no doubts that you would like to dedicate yourself to a friendship that will be unique, rewarding, and at times challenging, and will/can last 25+ years, then continue researching and find the right one for you. Theres no reason to get a bird to have it sit in a cage all the time a few years from now when "bored" or frustrated with its behavior; by getting a bird you are agreeing to work through the thick and thin and honor your commitment and very long friendship.

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Pareee, welcome. As someone ha mentioned, we are not being harsh, just truthful. There is no such thing as a quiet parrot by species. An individual may be relatively quieter then the next one of the same species, but there is no way to tell that barring living with the parrot. Also, if their needs are not addressed, often they will use their voices to let you know and hopefully the behaviour is not ingrained. So a quiet bird can become loud.... very loud. THe need for a quiet time during the day, while hubby sleeps may be an issue, too. Parrots are like most people and animals, sleeping during the night. i supose one could fool a parrot by using only artificial light into sleeping during the real daytime, but blah, who wants to do that. Same goes for petting and scratching. Some like it (most) but some are NOT touchy feely birds. Some play nicely with toys ie lie on their backs and juggle with their feet; some are like winged buzz saws and reduce wood toys to toothpicks in a matter of days or hours! Now if your family is willing to conform to the parrots idea of what a nice flock and home are, then by all means get a bird. If the bird must change in order for yiou to have a happy home.... I would not recommend getting one. They are so smart and feeling that its not fair to the parrot to get him, keep him for 6 months and decide that oh, he is not fr you. Read the poem in 'boats thread on Amazon..

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Just throwing in my agreeance here with everyone else.

Your list of criteria practically excludes any semblance of parrot ownership outside of a budgie or canary/finch.

The list you provide really is a standard list that just about every newbie who comes asking for help choosing a bird: I want a quiet bird, I want one that won't be a one person bird, I want a cuddly bird...so on. In some ways it betrays a lack of understanding of what it is like to have a parrot. That's not a bad thing, it just shows you aren't necessarily prepared for what's to come.

I've not read every reply here but I'd (also?) recommend getting out to a rescue or a store and interacting with some parrots. Talk to people about their experiences. This forum is a great place to learn. Make posts asking people what the noise level for their parrots is like and how do they control it; how do you prevent one-person birds...chunk it out and really explore ownership.

Best advise I can give is throw your criteria out the window, and talk/explore/interact, and absorb. There's a lot to figure out that one post here won't do for you.

JBassset

Oct 18, 2016
Boise
Parrots
3 year old GC Conure
13 year old B&G Macaw
That's not a bad thing, it just shows you aren't necessarily prepared for what's to come.

Man can I attest to that one! Holy cow this little guy has me running in circles sometimes!

Shoot, he gets grumpy at night if he doesn't have the RIGHT BLANKET over his cage!

OP
P

Pareeeee

Nov 3, 2016
Thanks everyone for your answers; you've given me a lot to think about. I think we are still going to wait a while before making any decisions. We want to be sure we don't make the wrong choice!

Loko

Oct 1, 2016
Miami
Parrots
Sun Conure - Loco
Thanks everyone for your answers; you've given me a lot to think about. I think we are still going to wait a while before making any decisions. We want to be sure we don't make the wrong choice!

Cool, it's a great first step to ask questions and research like youve been doing, some people just go out for toilet paper and come home with a bird they have no idea how to care for, so its great youre doing your research first. Its always a good idea to sit on an idea that involves a responsibility as big as this one. If youre still set on it in a few months then go for it, and keep learning cause theres always more to know. Good luck

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Tangie; My beloved Sun Conure who passed away in May 2013
I just wanted to add that your criteria list is fine, as long as you understand that this may not be the case when you get your bird.

You can choose a species that is more LIKELY to be a companion bird for all. That doesn't mean, in the end, this will happen.

You can also choose a species that is more LIKELY to be quite, but in the end it may be otherwise.

Also, all parrots can go through a maturing, "bratty" phase for no particular reason at all.

I think your space requirements are okay, as long as that is just space requirements for a cage.

I can tell, in the end, you can become an amazing owner because you are thinking about this, and not rushing into anything. That is amazing!!

To me, my individual conures have always been really loud, one person birds. The green-cheek we had was relatively quite, but pretty nippy.

Why not a cockatiel? They are amazing little parrots. They have 'feather dust', but I have SEVERE allergies, and his dust does not bother me at all. There is not a lot of it either, and confines to his cage. Abused before getting him, he is still amazing as a grumpy, nippy little guy.

Most Reactions