Help help help!!!!!!!!!!!

conureking1

Feb 14, 2013
I checked the breeding nest a few minutes ago and I saw the oldest baby chick dead. Eaten. Is this ok??! Parents sick? There is another young chick in the nest. Should I hand feed? Or leave it in the nest? PLEASE HELP!!
:orange:

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Sorry I cant advise you on this, but I am sure others will come along shortly who will be able to help!

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
The reason it was eaten was because the parant needed the vitamins or something like that . I am not an expert in the breeding category but I would suggest hand feeding. Not that sure, I'm sure though another member will come along.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Chances are they will kill the second also, I'd pull and handfeed.

Peeker

Feb 10, 2013
Parrots
Jax-Eclectus
Tina-Eclectus
Ruby-Eclectus
Personally I would pull the second chick to handfeed. There is always a chance the first chick was failing and the parents knew it, but there's a chance they will eat the second chick too. :( Better to be safe than sorry IMO.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Breeding is instinctive with birds & I doubt that a hen would lay, incubate, then kill chicks she is nesting, to obtain nutrients for its own consumption. I would be more inclined to think that something else was going on around the nest that had/has the hen and/or her mate nervous & upset.

Almost anything might upset a setting hen, loud noise, constant noise, predatory animals…dogs, cats, etc., construction, looking in the nest box or otherwise bothering the hen and her eggs, people trying to move/handle the eggs/chicks.

There is also the possibility that the parents are a mismatched pair, a young, unproven pair or an incompatible pair. Some birds are not compatible with each other and while they may produce eggs, there may not be harmony in the nest box.

I agree that any remaining chicks should be removed and hand raised.

Most Reactions