Help!!!!help!!!!

isaiah.nino

Aug 25, 2012
in michigan
Parrots
sun conure
hi every one my bird has been acting kinda strange . he now like cry screechs and almost sounds like hes crying and he kinda nibbles but i think he could be teething . and he bobs his head really fast and opens up his mouth is this normal behavior or should i take him to the vet !!! :confused:

OtterKin

Mar 22, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
Parrots
Squirrel-GCC (suspected male),
Alice- female cockatiel,
Beattle- male lineolated parakeet,
No name yet- female lineolated parakeet
Dingo- male American budgie,
Darwin- male English Budgie
Birds don't teeth. ;-) How old is he?

BreannPearlLang

Banned
Banned
Jul 3, 2012
No offense to anybody, but I still dont understand why everybody says "oh my gosh, my bird is bobbing his head with his mouth open" or "omg my bird is twitching his wings"
bobbing head, crying, mouth open.. these are all signs that your baby may have had a problem during the weaning process. your baby misses his mommy. hes hungry. he wants comfort. its an emotionally detrimental thing to stop being fed by the mom. you could get a feeding syringe and feed him that way. this will help bond him with you and be very helpful if you ever need to give him medicine.

while on the subject, i might as well add that if he twitches his wings weird, its called wing flicking. they do it to get mommys attention. reacting to their movements like these with loving care helps create a healthy wellbeing and strong confidence.

these movements arent necessarily bad. its just a little birdie-impulse.

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
Breann: slow your roll not everyone has your amount of experince and some are new first time moms/dads and freak at everything By the time the 12th or 14th niece or nephew gets there you say your kid is eating dirt and they say what again? you learn over time not to worry about everything. Sounds like the baby might be regressing and needs to be weened again, ask your breeder or your vet.

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey
No offense to anybody, but I still dont understand why everybody says "oh my gosh, my bird is bobbing his head with his mouth open" or "omg my bird is twitching his wings"
bobbing head, crying, mouth open.. these are all signs that your baby may have had a problem during the weaning process. your baby misses his mommy. hes hungry. he wants comfort. its an emotionally detrimental thing to stop being fed by the mom. you could get a feeding syringe and feed him that way. this will help bond him with you and be very helpful if you ever need to give him medicine.

while on the subject, i might as well add that if he twitches his wings weird, its called wing flicking. they do it to get mommys attention. reacting to their movements like these with loving care helps create a healthy wellbeing and strong confidence.

these movements arent necessarily bad. its just a little birdie-impulse.

It's because they didn't do their research prior to bringing a bird home. Nevertheless, here we are now so help those that make the mistake, encourage others to learn from those mistakes and thank those who didn't make 'em!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I agree, sounds like regression. Feeding some warm foods (doesn't have to be parrot food) such as mashed sweet potatoes, steamed carrots, etc may help him feel more comfortable again.

Sometimes, regression can also be a sign of illness, so if the young one hasn't been to a vet, it wouldn't hurt to take him in and make sure he's healthy. That first vet visit can then be used for future reference of what is healthy for him.

However, it would also be a good idea to get a video of it so that we can be sure of the behavior.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
hi every one my bird has been acting kinda strange . he now like cry screechs and almost sounds like hes crying and he kinda nibbles but i think he could be teething . and he bobs his head really fast and opens up his mouth is this normal behavior or should i take him to the vet !!! :confused:

If anyone bothered to check this little guy is well & truly past the weaning stage. It's 4 months old & i very much doubt it has regressed. Everything that you have explaned Isaiah is typical behavior of a young sun conure. I would go as far as to say in the month you have had your parrot maybe you have spoilt it a bit.

I would like to know what do you feed your parrot. Is he eating a balanced diet? How much time your baby spends with you. What's his daily routine. A little more info would help.:)

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Isiah, my sun conure Boomer is almost 8 months now. When he first sees me when I come home from work he also screeches, bobs his head rapidly up and down for several minutes AND fluffs his wings quickly (different from a wing twitch that is some sort of nutritional issue in some parrots). I noticed he does one or a combination of these things when he is very pleased about something. A trip outdoors, a good scritching, a sought after treat triggers the same response.

I don't know about the wide open beak. Does it stay open for a long, long time? Is he eating regularly? What type of food?

I suggest trying to observe this behaviour by recreating it. Does he seem to do it in response to things he likes or enjoys? If so, then may just be expressing his approval like my bird.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
A bird can still regress at the age of 4 months... Conures, as I understand it, typically wean around 12 weeks old. At 4 months, that's 16 weeks... I've heard of cockatiels taking a long time to wean at 16 weeks, it wouldn't surprise me if a conure wasn't weaned at 18-20 weeks old.

In short, it could be regression... however, it would also help, as I mentioned, to see a video of this behavior.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
A bird can still regress at the age of 4 months... Conures, as I understand it, typically wean around 12 weeks old. At 4 months, that's 16 weeks... I've heard of cockatiels taking a long time to wean at 16 weeks, it wouldn't surprise me if a conure wasn't weaned at 18-20 weeks old.

In short, it could be regression... however, it would also help, as I mentioned, to see a video of this behavior.

No offence to you Monica but with 25 years experience breeding & hand rearing sun conures it's not common for a young one to regress. Cockatiels yes i agree. If this little guy isn't screaming the house down then IMO the behavior is one of contentment & all he is doing is what every sun conure i have reared has done. be cute & loveable.t

When i get more information from Isaiah i will better be able to help should it be required. But i very much doubt it. Isaiah is just inexperienced with sun conure behavior.

Most Reactions

Latest posts