HELP!! i rescued a cockatoo

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
This is the picture mentioned in the original post, for those who weren't able to see it. (I saved it and loaded it into my gallery for easier viewing)

Poor guy was in bad shape... he's so lucky to have been rescued by such a good family!!!!

squeekmouse-albums-other-stuff-picture21442-dd1.jpg

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Amsterdam- definitely get him tested for PBFD (I know you said he had mites, but it is a good idea, as cockatoos are prone to it and they can carry it. You have other birds and he has feather issues, so I would err on the side of caution. My guess is that he is a yellow-crested cockatoo-- hence the yellow on the cheeks, but it is hard to tell due to feather condition.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Was that picture taken when you took her to the vet after rescuing her? Did they mention PBFD testing?

Last edited:

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
I hope we'll see lots of pictures of the little guy soon... I'm sure it will be like Hayat where the before and after pics are so dramatically different. :)

Last edited:

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots
Cockatiels. Percy & Gizmo

Forever in my heart. Sunny the Corella
You’re an amazing person for rescuing this poor Cockatoo. He looks in a dreadfully sad state. I’m so happy he is now in good hands, I have no advice other than what everyone else has suggested.
I really hope he makes a great, happy recovery.

Don’t be afraid that you don’t have Cockatoo experience.. I had NO bird experience but somehow managed to bring up sunny from almost death! kindness, love and a good heart is what you need, and you have already ticked those boxes!
I agree that he is a sulphur crested, there are many flying free and magnificent around the farm in here in Aus.
Good luck, keep us posted :)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thanks so much for rescuing this abused sulphur crested too. You've already accomplished the first priority of getting him to safety and initial vet check. I agree PBFD testing is important.

Because of his poor condition, you may have an opportunity to bond and socialize before returning to a more natural state.

OP
Amsterdam

Amsterdam

Sep 8, 2018
Turkey
Parrots
Amsterdam- definitely get him tested for PBFD (I know you said he had mites, but it is a good idea, as cockatoos are prone to it and they can carry it. You have other birds and he has feather issues, so I would err on the side of caution. My guess is that he is a yellow-crested cockatoo-- hence the yellow on the cheeks, but it is hard to tell due to feather condition.

thank you all guys i havent thought about it noodles and i didnt knew what PBFD was untill you mentioned it, i called to the vet i was to ask if he could do this test and that was already done so i didnt have to do it again and from what ive understand hes clean. The picture was taken at the vet i will keep you guys updated.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
How old is he/she?

How long ago was the vet appointment (the one pictured)? I know you just got her recently, so I am hoping the image is no more than a week old...

I ask because this looks a lot like PBFD to me, and if it is, you will need to consider some serious quarantining/disinfecting protocols. Time is of the essence. I am hoping that not too much time has passed, because it looks pretty serious...Do you have any other shots that show her torso?

Did they do anything to her beak at the time? It looks long, so I am hoping they discussed that with you when you took her in...
It could just be the angle, but in my non-professional opinion, there are a number of concerning features...again, obviously I am not a vet.

Last edited:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Just saw this thread..You are AWESOME Amsterdam! That poor 'too is so lucky you came along,I know he will thrive in your care. Thank you so much for saving this poor soul.

Jim

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
How old is he/she?

How long ago was the vet appointment (the one pictured)? I know you just got her recently, so I am hoping the image is no more than a week old...

I ask because this looks a lot like PBFD to me, and if it is, you will need to consider some serious quarantining/disinfecting protocols. Time is of the essence. I am hoping that not too much time has passed, because it looks pretty serious...Do you have any other shots that show her torso?

Did they do anything to her beak at the time? It looks long, so I am hoping they discussed that with you when you took her in...
It could just be the angle, but in my non-professional opinion, there are a number of concerning features...again, obviously I am not a vet.

Mites can cause it as well. I still would test him anyways just to rule it out. Unless he was tested recently fully. Definitely quarantining/disinfecting need to be done asap as you don't want your other birds to be affected.

Last edited:

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
to me the beak looks scissored maybe but hard to tell with the angle

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
Do you have a better picture of the front of his beak, or top area and his rear feathers?

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
Wait a second is that a picture of the actual bird, or taken from a website?

I notice that picture is not of the bird he recused, unless the hospital is using other people photos for website, but can't be as was upload to site for a while looking at cache data and hospital in Australia? It was taken by the same camera that took the other photo as looked at the Metadata for the original photo, plus can tell by the background blurred the same. Plus picture is pretty old around 8 years old.

xpdCFxB.jpg

The picture is of a bird that actually had PBFD from Dr Pat Macwhirter, Dr Garry Cross, QLD University Veterinary School.

Crookwell Veterinary Hospital > Animal Care > Pocket Pets, Birds & Wildlife > Beak and Feather Disease

Last edited:

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I literally just watched a video about the Cockatoo in that photo yesterday!!! As ParrotGenie said, that bird is a Sulphur Cockatoo, a WILD Sulphur cockatoo in Australia...There are multiple YouTube videos of this bird in this guy's backyard in Australia with it's entire WILD Flock. So that can't be the Cockatoo that Amsterdam rescued in Turkey, not possible...Again, that one is a wild Sulphur Cockatoo in Australia that wasn't in that condition due to anything a person did to it but rather it showed-up that way along with it's Flock in a guy's backyard. The rest of his Flock looked fine, but they were beating-up on this guy, not letting him eat, attacking him and plucking him, etc.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Wait a second is that a picture of the actual bird, or taken from a website?

I notice that picture is not of the bird he recused, unless the hospital is using other people photos for website, but can't be as was upload to site for a while looking at cache data and hospital in Australia? It was taken by the same camera that took the other photo as looked at the Metadata for the original photo, plus can tell by the background blurred the same. Plus picture is pretty old around 8 years old.

xpdCFxB.jpg

The picture is of a bird that actually had PBFD from Dr Pat Macwhirter, Dr Garry Cross, QLD University Veterinary School.

Crookwell Veterinary Hospital > Animal Care > Pocket Pets, Birds & Wildlife > Beak and Feather Disease

It was stated 2x that this image (ibb.co/KrSF4ry) was taken (AKA shot/snapped) at a recent trip to the vet:

KrSF4ry

I raced to the closest vet wich is aloooooooong way from here got to see the doc and take a closer look on him and she also told me he is in very bad shape , thankfully she cleaned him up and i got the meds to treat his mites and his legs.

ibb.co/KrSF4ry

( pic taken at the vet )

Was that picture taken when you took her to the vet after rescuing her? Did they mention PBFD testing?

The picture was taken at the vet i will keep you guys updated.

Reportedly, the vet also said the bird did not have PBFD:

i didnt knew what PBFD was untill you mentioned it, i called to the vet i was to ask if he could do this test and that was already done so i didnt have to do it again and from what ive understand hes clean.

Obviously, an 8+ year-old picture couldn't have been taken at a recent vet visit, and since this bird clearly has symptomatic (and documented) PBFD, it would never be declared PBFD free by any vet in any country (especially since the bird and the original image came from Australia, along with an official PBFD diagnosis).
Furthermore, the version of the image shared on Parrot Forums had been saved to a computer and uploaded to an image sharing site just 5 days ago-- the same day of the original post (despite the fact that the photograph was taken many years ago and is widely available on bird websites).

I do not understand this situation entirely, but it is certainly strange.

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am confused as well about the picture, but Amsterdam deserves a chance to respond to what ParrotGenie found.
Let's give him that chance.

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
KrSF4ry

Hi guys i dont know if i made the biggest mistake so i need your help!!!

So here in my home in Turkey people know me know as a bird rescuer ( wich im not ) and yesterday my neighbour knocked on my door telling me he knew someone who coudnt care for his cockatoo, we together went to the adress and i immediately noticed his cage was too small ( it was a small budgie cage ) , he was covered in dirt , had mites everywhere his right leg had this big bubble under it, he was scared his beak had this yellow puss looking thingy all around it. After a long long discussion where i became very pissed at the owner and it really almost turned into a fight, i told the owner that what he was doing was bad and not the way we should treat animals he was really pissed about it that i told him this, to make a long story short he only wanted to give him up for money wich i gave him after i told him he was a piece of **** ( sorry for the language ). I raced to the closest vet wich is aloooooooong way from here got to see the doc and take a closer look on him and she also told me he is in very bad shape , thankfully she cleaned him up and i got the meds to treat his mites and his legs. After this rescue i am a bit scared myself ( what did i just do again ?? ) , i coudnt leave him there i have no experience with these type of birds and never had and i know i lack knowledge , was it a mistake to bring a bird home where i almost know nothing about?. I really want to make him healthy again and give him love and attention wich me and my wife can provide, however i also want to be honest to myself can i take care of him? i know they need more attention then budgies etc? should i rehome him? the problem is i dont trust anyone here in this region because they only see birds as money?
Do you guys have any advice for what to do ? i have a appointment in 2 hours to buy a cage wich is very big to put him in i also already bought food for the birds with some vitamins.

can you guys help me out AGAIN?

ibb.co/KrSF4

I find this so bizarre Amsterdam...I see these sweeties every day in the wild...Also hand fed wild sulfur crested with deformed beak..(ignorance was bliss before Ellie adopted me)...and before I joined this family. Is this for real Mate?

Last edited:

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
Been a while and still no response from Amsterdam and he has been on forum?

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
I guess we will never get a answer from Amsterdam?

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts