Help!! Is my AG in love with me??

kimby1066

Aug 15, 2014
Duluth MN
Parrots
Was sold a BFA and now found he is a OWA.."Gus"
Today, I adopted my daughter's Amazon parrot...DNA proven male "Sam".
I recently adopted a DNA sexed male from my daughter..I believe he is 20 years old. He is awesome! Talks a ton...gentle, loving and prefers always to be with me. He is always out when I am home, and loves to be on my lap. He gently "grabs" my hand with his beak to get me to pet and play with him. But when we are playing/petting he does this constant "lip smacking" and almost like masticating....when he licks my hand my hand is actually wet....it is kind of grossing me out! Is this a love thing or a sexual thing? 2 days ago he did regurgitate, and this morning there was like a foam/spit thing coming out of his mouth....he is a truly awesome bird..I am very lucky to have found such a well-trained and very talkative bird...but his behavior when we are interacting/bonding is kind of freaking me out!

mh434

Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon "Sammy"
Love birds (4)
Green-cheeked Conure "Skittles" - now, sadly gone from my life
Blue-Crowned Conure "Tequila"
African Grey "Reno" - sadly, now gone from my life
He's trying to show how much he loves you by sharing a little of his food with you. I just try to look the other way for a moment - they don't seem to feel slighted by this...

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
He's trying to show how much he loves you by sharing a little of his food with you. I just try to look the other way for a moment - they don't seem to feel slighted by this...

Exactly. It's a sign of affection.

OP
K

kimby1066

Aug 15, 2014
Duluth MN
Parrots
Thanks for the feedback. sam is truly a fantastic bird. Loves to be with me... huge vocabulary..and gentle. He is 23...and so perfect and playful. But the "sharing " his food will take some getting used to!! Lol

BEWolf

Mar 5, 2014
Lansing, NC, USA
Parrots
Harley and Marley mated pair of budgies, age unknown
Rajah and Keeta, mated pair of parrotlets, ages 6yrs. and 11yrs. respectively
Kiki, Senegal, F., 7yrs.
Kookooloo, CAG, F., 14 yrs.
Mimi, YHA, F., 1
Sounds to me like a sign of affection, but if it bothers you, you could keep a tissue handy to wipe tour hand after he does this for you.

OP
K

kimby1066

Aug 15, 2014
Duluth MN
Parrots
I love that he loves me....But can I train him to not do it?? When I get home after work he just insists on the whole regurgitation thing...although I am flattered, it stinks and is quite gross...Can I train him to stop doing it??

critterman

Jan 1, 2011
Maryland
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure.
It is indeed a bonding love thing. Be patient and try to understand it is his way of saying I love you........be thankful he loves you and is doing this instead of biting you......lol. Good luck.

Most Reactions

Latest posts